Offseason Thread vol. XII - "Stop filling thread with spam posts" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nets Cash

Aug 12, 2014
Considering Callahan is basically Lazar's ceiling.....yeah, Tampa got a very nice player for their team. Add two first round pick on top of that for a guy who will likely play 1-3 more seasons in the league....hot damn for Yzerman.

It was definitely a fluke.

They almost lost of Philadelphia in the first round to a third string goaltender.
Then, they gave Pittsburgh and Fleury of all people 3 shutouts to put on his playoff resume.
The series against Montreal was a legit win, but it's Montreal. Even we can beat those smurfs easily.

Richards...yeah, he has been puke-worthy for a good 3 seasons now. Too many people living in the past with that guy.

And Nash...most over-rated big man in the league. Now that he has the reigns for the Rangers, expect them to miss the playoffs this year.

The Spezza trade wasn't that bad...but we really should've been able to get a first rounder out of that deal instead of a second. Not that it would've made much difference. That player probably won't turn into an impact NHLer either way.

The trade will look better in 2-3 years when Spezza barely plays 60 games per year with a massive retirement contract cap hit and declining point totals.

The ceiling of an NHL prospect is the highest possible level of a player at their peak. To me, saying that Lazar's ceiling is Callahan is being conservative for the sake of being conservative, orgs don't draft in the first round for a player with a Callahan-type ceiling, I'd also argue that Lazar's stock has actually risen since he was drafted.

NY getting to the finals wasn't a fluke, they went out, got a quality player at the deadline to make a push and they were rewarded, finished in the middle of the eastern pack, beat out some really good teams fair-and-square and got to the finals, finally being humbled by the west. All of their wins were 'legit'.

It's hard to judge the Spezza trade right now, but when I see a trade go down, I think to myself "I wonder what percentage of NHL GMs would have hypothetically made that same trade?". I find it hard to believe that a majority wouldn't. Let's face it: we got what right now is realistically a 3rd line power-winger, two very low-level prospects and a 2nd. That's like us giving up Greening a few years ago, Buddy Robinson, David Dziurzynski and a 2nd for a player of Spezza's calibre. The only risk Dallas left on the table was his salary (which is pretty easy on the wallet) and him not signing next year. Ottawa on the other hand; lost their greatest movable asset. Right now, at this time, that trade is looking like a giveaway. Instead of 'here Nashville, have our centre depth from the 2007 NHL playoffs', it's 'here Dallas, have most of our first line from last year for peanuts.'

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The ceiling of an NHL prospect is the highest possible level of a player at their peak. To me, saying that Lazar's ceiling is Callahan is being conservative for the sake of being conservative, orgs don't draft in the first round for a player with a Callahan-type ceiling, I'd also argue that Lazar's stock has actually risen since he was drafted.

NY getting to the finals wasn't a fluke, they went out, got a quality player at the deadline to make a push and they were rewarded, finished in the middle of the eastern pack, beat out some really good teams fair-and-square and got to the finals, finally being humbled by the west. All of their wins were 'legit'.

It's hard to judge the Spezza trade right now, but when I see a trade go down, I think to myself "I wonder what percentage of NHL GMs would have hypothetically made that same trade?". I find it hard to believe that a majority wouldn't. Let's face it: we got what right now is realistically a 3rd line power-winger, two very low-level prospects and a 2nd. That's like us giving up Greening a few years ago, Buddy Robinson, David Dziurzynski and a 2nd for a player of Spezza's calibre. The only risk Dallas left on the table was his salary (which is pretty easy on the wallet) and him not signing next year. Ottawa on the other hand; lost their greatest movable asset. Right now, at this time, that trade is looking like a giveaway. Instead of 'here Nashville, have our centre depth from the 2007 NHL playoffs', it's 'here Dallas, have most of our first line from last year for peanuts.'

LOL at how shortsighted your assessment of the Spezza trade is. Never ceases to amaze the urge people have to quantify and assess a trade before the players play a single second of hockey for their new teams. We traded a 31 year old center who wanted out for 4 players, of varying potential, under the age of 24. Your comparisons are comical, at best, and, at the least, immensely uninformed.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
That's like us giving up Greening a few years ago, Buddy Robinson, David Dziurzynski and a 2nd for a player of Spezza's calibre.

I gotta disagree with this. Yeah Paul and Guptill are of similar value to Dizzy and Buddy, but Chiasson's ceiling is much, much higher than that of Greenings. Chiasson produced exactly what Greening did at 22 vs when Greening was 25/26.

Considering Chiasson played with Peverley behind their big 3, while Greening played on the top line with Spezza, thats where you start to see some differences. Chiasson would've scored even more if it wasn't for the much documented illness and anxiety he went through.

Greening was projected to be the type of guy to maybe be the 6th forward in a top 6 for reasons other than skill, while Alex can still be a legit secondary scorer. Greening obviously won't be more than a 3rd liner at best anymore, while Alex will probably be at least a pretty good 3rd liner starting next year.

Callahans career per 82GP is 24G 46Pts
Add in his elite defensive game and elite physical play

I'd be ecstatic if Lazar becomes as good as that.

I would too as thats exactly where I think Lazar lands. People overrate Lazar's high end. He has a good wrister, but outside of that, he isnt going to be that big of a point producer. If he learns to block shots, lead a pk, and score 20+, we got a great player on our hands

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Callahans career per 82GP is 24G 46Pts
Add in his elite defensive game and elite physical play

I'd be ecstatic if Lazar becomes as good as that.

I think that's a fair comparison for Lazar if things go well. Big difference would probably be that Lazar probably won't take till the age of 23 to make an impact and he has a decent advantage in size and skating.

Also, I don't know if I'd say Callahan was ever elite defensively, he's good at laying the body and getting in front of shots but I never noticed him as a particularly great positional player or a guy who could retrieve the puck off another great forward like a Bergeron or Zetterberg. Seems like more of a guy you want forechecking the other team's top D rather than stop their top forwards.

Nets Cash

Aug 12, 2014
LOL at how shortsighted your assessment of the Spezza trade is. Never ceases to amaze the urge people have to quantify and assess a trade before the players play a single second of hockey for their new teams. We traded a 31 year old center who wanted out for 4 players, of varying potential, under the age of 24. Your comparisons are comical, at best, and, at the least, immensely uninformed.

you mad bro?

*Newsflash* We're all uninformed.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don Brennan @SunDoniB · 18h
Senators AGM Pierre Dorion has spent ast couple of days in Chicago talking contract extension for Craig Anderson with agent. #sens #nhl

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think that's a fair comparison for Lazar if things go well. Big difference would probably be that Lazar probably won't take till the age of 23 to make an impact and he has a decent advantage in size and skating.

Also, I don't know if I'd say Callahan was ever elite defensively, he's good at laying the body and getting in front of shots but I never noticed him as a particularly great positional player or a guy who could retrieve the puck off another great forward like a Bergeron or Zetterberg. Seems like more of a guy you want forechecking the other team's top D rather than stop their top forwards.

Maybe he'll become a cross between Callahan and Kesler without the douchbagery. I would argue that his offensive skill set is ahead of where Callahan's was at the same age, but tbh, it could just be the hype. I don't really recall Callahan being seen as an top end offensive threat, but then again people have questioned Lazar's ability to translate his offense at the next level.

Either way, I think he'll be great.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I don't see anything wrong with having Anderson around if he is knows that if Lehner is playing better he is going to play.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Why?

If the Sens could extend him for two years at 7-8 million that would be awesome.

100% agreed. I would never want to see Andy get more than a two year term considering his age, but a two year deal at about the same as he is making now makes a lot of sense for the club.

Considering where goalie value has gone the past few seasons I would not be shocked if he extended for two years at an AAV of about 3-ish.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Moving Spezza was the right move for the organization on a few levels. Culture and 'team play style' changes aside, we knew we weren't going forward with him long-term, especially since Spezza will want a big contract with term if he did entertain the idea of staying here at all. Moving him out affords us the ability to (hopefully) lock down the younger emerging core players. Long-term finances may have had just as much to do with moving Spezza out as anything else. Signing both Spezza and Hemsky to long term deals might have been great if the stars aligned, but it would have been very risky given their pasts.

I'm just looking forward to not having to hear about Spezza's lack of backchecking his upcoming season.

Agreed. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Those are some big words from a guy that refuses to play at both ends of the rink. I loved Spezza in his time here, but he needs to accept that he was part of the problem here, especially last year.

If Spezza really thought he or his play was part of the problem, then he would have changed; however, he did not change enough. He is still a highly skilled offensive player who can achieve almost PPG level. Unfortunately, he is not committed to playing a sound defensive game. Therefore he needs to play with forwards who do that to cover for him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Moving Spezza was the right move for the organization on a few levels. Culture and 'team play style' changes aside, we knew we weren't going forward with him long-term, especially since Spezza will want a big contract with term if he did entertain the idea of staying here at all. Moving him out affords us the ability to (hopefully) lock down the younger emerging core players. Long-term finances may have had just as much to do with moving Spezza out as anything else. Signing both Spezza and Hemsky to long term deals might have been great if the stars aligned, but it would have been very risky given their pasts.

I'm just looking forward to not having to hear about Spezza's lack of backchecking his upcoming season.

Not me; I am looking forward to it, as he now plays for Dallas! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why?

If the Sens could extend him for two years at 7-8 million that would be awesome.

I agree to signing him for two years and hope it is not more than $7m total over the two years. Awesome would be two more years at $6m. :)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Not me; I am looking forward to it, as he now plays for Dallas! :)

I agree with you, but if you've spent any time here, we will get updates on every goal he gets. It seems to be all about past players here. He was a good player but he's gone, no other team fanbase seems to care about former players.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think your assessment of the value of the players we received may turn out to be correct. We certainly did not get a proven top 6 player. However i disagree with your last comment about giving away most of our first line from last year for peanuts. The Senators had no control over Hemsky as he was a UFA. I suspect the Senators might have been able to sign him if they offered more than Dallas and extended Spezza. I did not mind trading Spezza, but i did not like the return.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I gotta disagree with this. Yeah Paul and Guptill are of similar value to Dizzy and Buddy, but Chiasson's ceiling is much, much higher than that of Greenings. Chiasson produced exactly what Greening did at 22 vs when Greening was 25/26.

I'm a bit shocked by those comparisons

Alex Guptill compares to Buddy Robinson? I haven't seen anywhere that Robinson has potential top-line talent, let alone top-6 talent... Just because Guptill is just out of college and is not a very popular player doesn't mean he is crap. I don't put a lot of stock on HF grades, but Robinson is a 6.0 C and Guptill is a 7.0 C.

Last year, Guptill was #11 in HF Stars prospects rankings (Chiasson was 3rd after Nichushkin and Oleksiak). He would have been much higher in their pool this year, just because of graduations and natural progression, as well as others regressing (example Faksa). Another thing to note is that the Dallas pool is ranked 9th on HF while the Sens pool is ranked #19 actually (not that I put a lot of stock in that but in case some do)

Buddy Robinson was just voted our 22nd best prospect, who is also almost 1 year older than Guptill who took the long College route and just turned pro (only 5 AHL games). I would wait and see what he does at the pro level before comparing them

Now David Dziurzynski, who will turn 25 y/o when the season begins... How does he compare to Nick Paul who was a 2013's draftee and just turned 19 y/o? And Paul was a 4th round pick. He has upgraded his value tremendously this year, going from a 28 pts (12 goals) season to a 46 pts season (26 goals). But that's not where he made the most noise. He had an excellent playoffs run with North Bay, scoring 12 goals and 18 points in 22 games as well as leading his team to become the Eastern Conference Champions. Not only that, he did make even more noise in Team Canada's World Junior Camp. Have you ever heard of the term "late riser"? That might be the case with Paul

David Dziurzynski was voted our #26th best prospect last year, last time he was eligible to be a prospect. Paul was voted #16th on our pool not long ago, despite not many knowing him and that our pool is better and deeper that HF is making it seem.

Finally, in relation to the first quote.

Greening + Robinson + Dziurzynski + 2nd

vs

Chiasson + Guptill + Paul + 2nd

Every single of the 3 first Dallas pieces is much better than what you are saying in comparison and it's not even close. Also, Greening's actual value on this board is biased. He had a bad season and he is about to earn much more money. Before extending, he had quite some value in people's eyes (so you're right saying a few years ago). Chiasson in comparison had a solid rookie season (not playing on a 1st line with Spezza and Michalek in a career year) and has been in Dallas top-5 prospects (regarded as high as Brett Ritchie is now) for a few years, while Greening was a 7th round pick and came out of nowhere. And there's also that ability thing, which is not even close in Chiasson's favor

For anything, Spezza could score 27 pts in 36 games and be injured all year, and then sign a contract with another team on July 1st... Then stupid HF will declare the Sens clear-cut winners of this deal? We only lost 1 year of Spezza.

So what do you prefer :

Spezza plays one more year in Ottawa in a non-contending season

or

We get 1 present and 3 future assets AND the budget space to sign David Legwand to a sweetheart 2 years deal

That is the right question to ask, and forget "we could have traded Spezza at the deadline"... He could have simply been injured or the Sens too close to the playoffs to trade him

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad