Offseason Thread III: FA Frenzy (Are we going to be "too good" next year?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Johnson
Sillinger
Marchenko
Voronkov
Texier
Chinakhov
Foudy
Bemstrom

All 18-22 and will be looking to claim a top 9 spot within the next 1-2 years. I think even in a rebuild we might need to package up a couple.

You could say that maybe Voronkov and Foudy don't need to play in the top 9, that they can play on the 4th line, but we've also got Dunne and Angle as guys that look like potential 4th liners (Dunne I think is a near lock), and we just committed long term to older 4th liners in Jenner, Robinson, and Kuraly. I see a big bottom six glut coming.

In 2023-24

Bjorkstrand
Voracek
Roslovic
Laine
Robinson
Jenner
Kuraly
Johnson
Sillinger
Marchenko
Voronkov
Texier
Chinakhov
Foudy
Bemstrom
Dunne
Angle

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hey everyone. Looks like the Avs brought in another former Blue Jacket with Ryan Murray.

Just had a quick question if any of y'all would mind taking the time to answer?

Do you remember Murray playing on the right side much in Columbus, and if so, how did he play relative to the left side? Thanks in advance for any info.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hey everyone. Looks like the Avs brought in another former Blue Jacket with Ryan Murray.

Just had a quick question if any of y'all would mind taking the time to answer?

Do you remember Murray playing on the right side much in Columbus, and if so, how did he play relative to the left side? Thanks in advance for any info.
Rarely, and IMO he didn't look very good when he did.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just looking at Buffalo's situation on Capfriendly. Even with Eichel, they are about 10mm under the cap floor. Unless they extend Dahlin for about that much I don't see how they get to the floor. Thoughts? Maybe we could trade them Laine, Domi, and the Chicago pick for Eichel?

I know they wouldn't do it but if they would I'd do it. :popcorn:

Reactions: majormajor

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
No, Foligno and Savard were 100% traded for playoff value. They could have missed every regular season game with their new clubs and still have gotten great returns. Heck Riley Nash got us a 6th rounder when it was known he wouldn't play in the regular season. The deadline is not about getting into the playoffs, full stop.

I think Domi could do well this year, maybe even capture some more magic with Bjorkstrand. But he's had so much inconsistency over the years that a good month of hockey will still not do much for his trade value, which is mostly based on perceived playoff ability anyways.

My point is you said Domi is bad in the playoffs so at most he would get a 2/3rd round pick.
Foligno's stats in the playoffs are pretty poor as well yet he still got a first?

Domi has been in 10 playoff games and has 3 points and a -2 plus/minus
Foligno (prior to last season) had 51 games, 22 points and a -6 +/-

It's not like Foligno has been good in the playoffs?

My point is simply teams are adding for the player, and I don't think Domi's 10 game playoff history will hurt his value.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That's one of the most galling things about last season - that we really didn't learn that much. So many guys disappointed and yet Torts was coaching so terribly that it's hard to be sure if a player was at fault or simply mishandled. Many of us were saying as far back as February that we had to fire Torts during the year or we wouldn't learn about what our players could do. We said that the learning would be pushed back to next year if we didn't make a coaching change during the season, and here we are in the summer clueless about what to expect from half the roster.

And here we are, STILL talking about/blaming Torts for things he really only has so much control over.

Many times last year, we’d have been better off with Torts on the ice in defensive situations, instead of Roslovic.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
You could say that maybe Voronkov and Foudy don't need to play in the top 9, that they can play on the 4th line, but we've also got Dunne and Angle as guys that look like potential 4th liners (Dunne I think is a near lock), and we just committed long term to older 4th liners in Jenner, Robinson, and Kuraly. I see a big bottom six glut coming.

Of all the problems this team has, this is the one I worry least about. It will work itself out. I would stop signing or trading for forwards, however. It is also why I don’t worry about the Russians. I’d rather have fully developed Voronkov come over a couple of years later and not worry about developing him.

In 2023-24

Bjorkstrand - will be here
Voracek - will be a leader or traded with retention
Roslovic - will be here unless contract negotiations go south
Laine - re-establish himself (yay) and/or gone
Robinson - good bottom sixer
Jenner - vet bottom sixer which you need
Kuraly - vet bottom sixer or easily sent to Cleveland if underperforms
Johnson - hoping for the best
Sillinger - hoping for the best
Marchenko - no rush to bring him over
Voronkov - really, really in no rush to bring him over
Texier - step up or trade
Chinakhov - let’s see what he brings before worrying too much
Foudy - let’s see what he brings before worrying too much
Bemstrom - step up or trade
Dunne - let’s see what he brings before worrying too much
Angle - let’s see what he brings before worrying too much

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7201

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Of all the problems this team has, this is the one I worry least about. It will work itself out. I would stop signing or trading for forwards, however. It is also why I don’t worry about the Russians. I’d rather have fully developed Voronkov come over a couple of years later and not worry about developing him.

In 2023-24

I agree with your assessment. The bottom 6 is not where the problem is or will be. The problem (question) is how many of the guys develop into true top 6 guys. History (not only ours but most other teams) tells us that not all draft picks live up to expectations. Tex, Bemstrom & Foudy are showing indications they might not. Hopefully a new coach/system/more development time will change that.

Reactions: LJ7201 and koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

In 2023-24

I'd be more sanguine about it if "let's see what he brings" could be done for everyone. Unfortunately you need sheltered playing time to do that and that requires at least 4th line playing time.

Trade requests that are made on account of ice time is a very common thing, Bean just did it but usually we don't even hear about it. I'd expect it will be common here.

By most accounts, by the way, a guy like Voronkov is already developed now. In 2023 he can sign with the Jackets and we'd be fools not to sign him. Marchenko is also looking like he might be overripe on the current timetable, so just leaving them abroad seems like an awful waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->