Offseason Talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Here's the flaw in all of this argument. What did Jarmo offer? What was the ask? How do we know? It's easy to criticize both the FO and the player's agent when you get to hallucinate the negotiations.

I'll let Mayor Bee and Major speak for themselves.....but....Show me again where I was criticizing Jarmo or the agent. My comments express my take on his value, critical of neither party you cited, rather offering a counterpoint to the Mayor's comments.....Are you sure it wasn't you hitting the Electric Kool-Aid! :sarcasm:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Here's the flaw in all of this argument. What did Jarmo offer? What was the ask? How do we know? It's easy to criticize both the FO and the player's agent when you get to hallucinate the negotiations.

For how long this has gone on, I'm surprised numbers haven't gotten leaked.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
One side has a history of acrimonious negotiations, the other does not have a history of lowballing players. Ferris is the agent for the only two remaining RFAs, and he had an acrimonious one involving Tobias Rieder just one year ago that saw him as the last RFA to sign.

This appears to be straight out of the Bob Goodenow playbook: be ridiculous until the eleventh hour to see if the other side caves, then sign anyway with no actual benefit having been realized except for keeping a player out of camp.

Especially since the assistant GM is a former agent and someone who knows how this all goes from both sides of the table.

Both sides have some history of acrimony.

I'll let Mayor Bee and Major speak for themselves.....but....Show me again where I was criticizing Jarmo or the agent. My comments express my take on his value, critical of neither party you cited, rather offering a counterpoint to the Mayor's comments.....Are you sure it wasn't you hitting the Electric Kool-Aid! :sarcasm:

You just got caught in the discussion. I understand you were quoting what you feel is a comparable. We don't know if either side accepts them as such.

I love the Electric Kool-Aid comment. Sort of old guy to old guy inside joke.

Yes it's a bit surprising. Is this a sign the negotiations haven't been very acrimonious so far?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Last year Tobias Rieder was the latest RFA to sign, on October 3rd.

He is the third line winger, albeit a good one, i sure hope he doesn't expect to miss all training camp, sign one day before season starts and be on the roster next game.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I wouldn't expect that until the regular season starts, if it comes to that.

Both sides have some history of acrimony.

Johansen is about the only one that comes to mind, and in that case it was someone who had 59 goals and 134 points in the previous two seasons. Not 18 goals and 33 points.

He is the third line winger, albeit a good one, i sure hope he doesn't expect to miss all training camp, sign one day before season starts and be on the roster next game.

Alexander Svitov can probably tell everyone what happens if you're not ready to play immediately under Tortorella.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Alexander Svitov can probably tell everyone what happens if you're not ready to play immediately under Tortorella.
Svitov put the blame on "Torts hates russians" actually.:)
- You mentioned in the interview that the coach did not like Russian players. John Tortorella did not like Russians?
- Yes, because who from ours played under him?
- Artem Anisimov.
- It's was later, and even then he was traded. You gonna bring Bobrovsky probably.
- Sergey Bobrovsky, yes.
- He never touched goalies. And Khabibulin was consistent. But he didn't want russian players on the roster.
- How did it manifest itself? He tore the Russian flag publicly?
- Nothing like this. It's just that Russian field hockey players did not stay in the team under him.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Svitov put the blame on "Torts hates russians" actually.:)

I'm sure Ruslan Fedotenko, Nikita Alexeev, and Dmitri Afanasenkov will be very surprised to hear that Tortorella hated Russian non-goalies in Tampa Bay. In fact, didn't he insist that the Rangers acquire Fedotenko when he was coaching there as well?

Or does Fedotenko not count because he's Ukrainian?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Anderson has sealed his fate. Even if he signs now, he will be gone. If he does not want to play for the Jackets at the price they are offering him (whatever it is), perhaps he will enjoy playing for the AV's at the price they will pay for him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Anderson has sealed his fate. Even if he signs now, he will be gone. If he does not want to play for the Jackets at the price they are offering him (whatever it is), perhaps he will enjoy playing for the AV's at the price they will pay for him.

Lol

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Should I start weeping now? Because that's stupid and terrible.

Of all the times when you might trade a player, you don't do it the summer before they break out. His value will be so much higher in a year or so. Trading him now is not going to feel good in the long run.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Not sure why people sound like they are taking this personally. Maybe Anderson really likes it here, but also likes a lot of money.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure why people sound like they are taking this personally. Maybe Anderson really likes it here, but also likes a lot of money.

Might be one of the worst fanbases when it comes to turning on players. It's insane. This guy made Jenner expendable to these same fans less than 6 months ago, was untouchable and a must keep 4 months ago, and now he's a spare part who we can live without. It's maddening.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Nah, the day Anderson signs, everyone welcomes him back with open arms. That said, it does create an opening for Abramov.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Nah, the day Anderson signs, everyone welcomes him back with open arms. That said, it does create an opening for Abramov.

Actually, I don't think anyone wants to lose Anderson, but this holdout stuff sends mixed signals to the FO and fan base. If he doesn't want to be here, or is more worried about money than winning in Columbus, I have no issue with the FO using him to get someone who does.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm all for Anderson taking as much time as he needs to work his best deal. Hockey players are mercenaries-like anyone else who works for a paycheck. If he ends up missing a few games, it's no big deal-or at least it shouldn't be. If the FO or the coaching staff hold grudges, that's on them. Sometimes negotiations are rough. When the contract is signed, it's time to turn the page-immediately. The huge bias of the CBA toward veterans makes it all the more necessary for an RFA to take whatever steps are necessary to secure the best possible contract.

If not having Anderson in his top physical condition and missing a few weeks of practice causes the CBJ to have major problems, then they're not that good of a team. This team needs to gear themselves toward peaking in March and April, not late October.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Actually, I don't think anyone wants to lose Anderson, but this holdout stuff sends mixed signals to the FO and fan base. If he doesn't want to be here, or is more worried about money than winning in Columbus, I have no issue with the FO using him to get someone who does.

I don't think it's an actual contradiction to be loyal to your team, want to win for them, and to simultaneously want to be fairly paid to do so.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Offseason Machine Broke.

Please continue Duchene talk in the Duchene thread and Anderson talk in the Anderson thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad