Offseason Senators Fix (Upcoming: Bingo 16th, Hogberg and Wikstrand Pre-WC 16th)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So, no meaningful Ottawa Senators games until October.

Where can we get out Senators fix?

-3 more regular season games plus playoffs for Bingo. Stone, Ceci, and Pageau will join the team. (Remaining regular season games: 16th 17th 18th)
-Methot, Turris, and possibly others will be at the world championships (Methot and Turris play: May 9th, 10th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 20th)
-Hogberg, and Wikstrand will be playing some pre-world championship games (April 16th, April 18th)
-Lazar and the Oil Kings will be in the 3rd round of the WHL playoffs (Dates TBD, likely starts are the 17th or 18th)
-Harpur and the Storm will be in the 3rd round of the OHL playoffs (17th, 18th, 21st, 22nd, 25th, 26th, 28th)
-The draft (June 27th and 28th)
-The free agency opening in July (July 10th is opening date)
-The NHL prospect tournament will take place in August (presumably)
-There may be some rookie camp/training camp videos uploaded in August/September
-The preseason will be in September

Anything else?

Last edited:

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
So, no meaningful Ottawa Senators games until October.

Where can we get out Senators fix?

-3 more regular season games plus playoffs for Bingo. Stone, Ceci, and Pageau will join the team.
-Methot, Turris, and possibly others will be at the world championships
-Hogberg, and Wikstrand will be playing some pre-world championship games
-Lazar and the Oil Kings will be in the 3rd round of the WHL playoffs
-Harpur and the Storm will be in the 3rd round of the OHL playoffs
-The NHL prospect tournament will take place in August (presumably)
-There may be some rookie camp/training camp videos uploaded in August/September
-The preseason will be in September

Anything else?

Alfredsson will be in the Stanley Cup Playoffs...:cry:

On serious note even without a first round pick the 2014 Entry Draft could be interesting for Ottawa fans.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Resign Hemmer, let Michalek walk, dump Greening and Condra

Ryan Spezza Hemsky

MacArthur Turris Stone

Hoffman Zibanejad Lazar

Neil Smith

Going to be an interesting offseason

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Off season priorities need to be resign Hemsky ASAP. Sign a top 4 UFA puck moving D, and a UFA top 6 forward (two if Hemsky isn't re-signed). Michalek is only allowed back if he's the only UFA option and for no more than 2 years on the cheap!

UFA-Spezza-Hemsky
Mcarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-zib-stone
Greening/Condra-smith-Neil

Karlsson-methot
UFA-Cowen
Wiercoch-gryba
Phillips

Teams suffered from a sophomore slump on D, a few tweaks is all the team needs. Be interesting to see how much extra money the new tv deals let the Sens spend this off season.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Off season priorities need to be resign Hemsky ASAP. Sign a top 4 UFA puck moving D, and a UFA top 6 forward (two if Hemsky isn't re-signed). Michalek is only allowed back if he's the only UFA option and for no more than 2 years on the cheap!

UFA-Spezza-Hemsky
Mcarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-zib-stone
Greening/Condra-smith-Neil

Karlsson-methot
UFA-Cowen
Wiercoch-gryba
Phillips

Teams suffered from a sophomore slump on D, a few tweaks is all the team needs. Be interesting to see how much extra money the new tv deals let the Sens spend this off season.

Where's Ceci, Stone will be in the top 6, where's Lazar?

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Sign Hemsky, let Michalek walk
Sign/trade for a top 2/3 D
Wait and see with Spezza and Ryan how our team does.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Great idea for a thread. I have nothing to add though.

But some of you need to read the OP. It's not "how to fix the Sens," it's "how to get your Sens fix."

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Great idea for a thread. I have nothing to add though.

But some of you need to read the OP. It's not "how to fix the Sens," it's "how to get your Sens fix."

Yeah, I was kinda planning on using it as a general news thread during the offseason too, especially for non-thread worthy things

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario

If we sign a UFA Dman Ceci starts in the AHL, unless one of Gryba, Cowen or Wiercoch is traded. Personally I think keeping him down as an injury call up works best to start the season. Lazer gets time in the AHL, I'm high on the kid too, but I don't see him making the instant transition from whl to NHL. And stone may end up with Spezza in the top 6, but he still hasn't proven he's consistent enough to put up points in the top 6. Plus Zib playing with stone and Hoffman actually makes a decent tertiary scoring line with decent defensive ability.

Just throwing out what I'd ideally want to happen, haven't even really looked up who's available UFA wise and what price we would expect.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
B-Sens RFA's, who gets resigned?

Hoffman-Waiver eligible

Schneider, Cole -Waiver eligible

F Da Costa, S. -Waiver eligible, was teasing leaving last year so maybe we work the trade market

D Blood, Ben - Waiver eligible, Sens may just say goodbye

F Hamilton, Wacey - Rather leave his spot open, give hope for guys competing for contract during Rookie Tournament

F Dziurzynski, D. - Re-Sign, Open spot as Kassian replacement, waiver eligible

F Cowick, Corey - Time to say goodbye

D Sdao, Michael - Not sure how he has performed

Derek Grant- Re-sign him

D Wideman, Chris - Re-sign him

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If we sign a UFA Dman Ceci starts in the AHL, unless one of Gryba, Cowen or Wiercoch is traded. Personally I think keeping him down as an injury call up works best to start the season. Lazer gets time in the AHL, I'm high on the kid too, but I don't see him making the instant transition from whl to NHL. And stone may end up with Spezza in the top 6, but he still hasn't proven he's consistent enough to put up points in the top 6. Plus Zib playing with stone and Hoffman actually makes a decent tertiary scoring line with decent defensive ability.

Just throwing out what I'd ideally want to happen, haven't even really looked up who's available UFA wise and what price we would expect.

Not to derail the thread but Lazar isn't eligible to play in the AHL next season...back to Edmonton or up with the Sens. I'd give him a few games to start the year but ultimately let him marinate another season in the WHL. I think he'd be in the running to captain Team Canada at the WJC in Montreal/Toronto next year as well.

Back on topic, looking forward to the draft, even without the first round pick. Will be interesting to see if Murray makes a move. The Sens did a great job with original video content this year, would be cool if it continued leading up to the draft and into the development camp in early July.

Disappointing year for sure, despite the team being extremely healthy all year (minus Ryan I guess), they could just not find a rhythm and get rolling. Will be interesting to see what happens with Michalek/Hemsky and whether Murray has faith in the current forward group to give them another go. The D certainly needs to be addressed, and some keys guys could use new contracts and extensions. Really hoping this new TV deal will give Melnyk a little more $$$ to spend on player personnel, but I won't be holding my breath.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Don't be so quick to toss Michalek under the bus. When you look at the big teams in the NHL depth is critical. Having Michalek back for cheap--a la 3.75 a year-- wont be a bad thing. He is a quality person with decent enough ability to provide 40 points a year.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Stone making the top 6 isn't a guarantee, Lazar making the team isn't certain by any means.

Both players need to have great training camps at the very least to be given perma spots on the big team

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm not gonna lie. The last time we missed the playoffs, the only thing that made that summer bearable(and surprisingly short) was watching our Bingo boys win the Calder Cup.

Here's hoping for a repeat!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad