Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Keith was a chihuahua alright .... who was faster than 90 % of the league in a 40-foot sprint and had a great stick when he arrived at the puck.
truth, it was ugly but effective, to me it was his judgement of angles, in his prime he ALWAYS took the correct angles to get where he needed to be in time.

don't think that is taught, it is just innate.

reminds me of a buddy of mine immigrated to Canada from Ethiopia as a 15 year old, never played billiards in his life, he came out with some of the boys, he sucked with making a bridge with his hand, that said when he finally got that the game became really easy for him as he always knew the angles be it straight in or off the bank.

it was insane, still never lost to my good buddy though...ha ha, I used to Manage Retirement Residences and Senior Centres and played daily for many years...

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm not sure how much of his production in the DEL was because of his linemates and being on one of the better teams in the league. Also, the DEL isn't in the same class as the SEL or Liiga.

I'd be excited if he was putting up numbers like Kubalik and Suter did in the Swiss league. He's nowhere near that.

I agree about lowering the expectations and wouldn't call him top line talent (maybe as passenger) but I wouldn't hold scoring in the the DEL against him... SEL and NLA are clearly better, but I wouldn't put Liiga infront of what Germany has built in the last years.

You can't compare Reichel at 18 to what Kubalik and Suter did before they signed with the Hawks. I agree that his point totals were more based on line he played and 1st half of the season with weaker opponents, but that's not fair to him. I wouldn't see him as A+ or untouchable prospect, but he is #1 out of our current prospect pool.

Would I rather have Kurashev? Not sure so far, but I really like Kurashev. That should tell the story.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
No reason to rush Reichel....let him get acclimated to NA style and rinks.....our team is deep enough now to not rush forward prospects this year.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
You guys run such recency bias with Mitchell.

The fact is he was still the one that got the most games, and at times he showed very good things, shown to be competent at this level.

He showed inconsistency, was not ready and needs improvement in a few areas, but to say he sucked and is hopeless? My god.

It's fine, once he's playing better and regularly you will form equally strong opinions about him, again with recency bias.
Mitchells biggest mistake is Musto pumping him as number 1 D. This has been said few times already.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
I'm not sure how much of his production in the DEL was because of his linemates and being on one of the better teams in the league. Also, the DEL isn't in the same class as the SEL or Liiga.

I'd be excited if he was putting up numbers like Kubalik and Suter did in the Swiss league. He's nowhere near that.
Don't know what is SEL(maybe SHL, Sweden hockey league?) but DEL isn't that much worst than Liiga is today. Maybe not yet as good but DEL's quality is going up and Liigas not.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
SHL is the Swedish Elite League, or was when I was younger. Probably a translation thing.
upload_2021-8-5_21-12-43.png

Renamed in 2013

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Were you genuinely unsure what league he was referring to then? The Swiss league is the NLA, and if you said SHL or SEL I know as an American I'm thinking the top Swedish league.

The Finnish league is Liiga and the German league is the DEL in my mind.
I forgot that they changed the name.
Shows you how long I've been following this sport.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bubba is German and watches the DEL. I'd take his word over anyone else on this board.

I doubt anyone other than him has actually seen Reichel play.

He has not liked Reichel from day 1. It's a biased take. Musto watches a lot of hockey too, and his player evaluations are total shit most of the time. Watching the game and forming good opinions based on what you watched are two different things.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Bubba is German and watches the DEL. I'd take his word over anyone else on this board.

I doubt anyone other than him has actually seen Reichel play.
His comparisons were just bad logic though. Comparing a 23 year old puck controlling playmaker to 18 year old inside the dot more 2way guys is silly.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Fiddy is Canadian and watches alot of OHL, QMJHL games. Guess I'll take his word that he was 100% right about Turris over Kane.
Not to mention Bernier or Fritche over Seabrook.

Not purely an OHL, QMJHL comparison, but Fiddy has always considered himself an expert on all the Canadian leagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Space umpire

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not sure why anyone is surprised Musto doesn’t have defined legs. Can’t skate for shit.

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad