Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
It's safe to say Mitchell was very disappointing last year and like Boqvist, was rushed to the big show....we definitely need a 2nd, decent offensive D man, but it's likely not Mitchell next season.

Something is up with the way this organization develops defenseman. I used to think it was Rockford's fault but I just don't know.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
You guys run such recency bias with Mitchell.

The fact is he was still the one that got the most games, and at times he showed very good things, shown to be competent at this level.

He showed inconsistency, was not ready and needs improvement in a few areas, but to say he sucked and is hopeless? My god.

It's fine, once he's playing better and regularly you will form equally strong opinions about him, again with recency bias.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He more then sucked

He was god awful and only CDH and 2nd half Z are guys you can argue were as bad or close to bad at times as him

And LOL at this "Competent" at this level bullshit , Almost every game he played he looked awful

Its amazing how much rope and defenses Mitchell gets while better players then him were crucified by this board in past for performance that was far superior to him

For someone with so much promise and potential as is claimed he showed nothing to justify the claims

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
He more then sucked

He was god awful and only CDH and 2nd half Z are guys you can argue were as bad or close to bad at times as him

And LOL at this "Competent" at this level bullshit , Almost every game he played he looked awful

Its amazing how much rope and defenses Mitchell gets while better players then him were crucified by this board in past for performance that was far superior to him

For someone with so much promise and potential as is claimed he showed nothing to justify the claims

You see the game so differently man it's crazy. But anyway, besides that.

To me, anyone that draws hard conclusions about our young defenseman after 20-30 odd games is a fool.

I get pumping up Boqvist or Beaudin coz theyre flashy and offensive, the ceiling is high etc all the potential yeye. But you can't ignore the mistakes, the area of needs for improvement etc with any of them. Same goes for the good any of them show.

Why is it not like that for Mitchell too? Why can't you separate the mistakes from the promises, acknowledge both and judge with perspective?

Is this kindergarten?

I'm convinced most of the people who are speaking about young guys in general with the level of absolutes shown often around here (and make no mistake BWC, you are the king of this), just pick a guy they like the first time they see them, or they do smtg flashy, and then thats the opinion for the rest of the way no matter what. And vise versa if you proclaim to hate someone.

That's not how prospects develop. The damn word develop should give a clue. Or the myriad of examples of guys who showed weakness but promise, and then improved significantly. Especially defenseman.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

To me, anyone that draws hard conclusions about our young defenseman after 20-30 odd games is a fool.

I get pumping up Boqvist or Beaudin coz theyre flashy and offensive, the ceiling is high etc all the potential yeye. But you can't ignore the mistakes, the area of needs for improvement etc with any of them. Same goes for the good any of them show.

Why is it not like that for Mitchell too? Why can't you separate the mistakes from the promises, acknowledge both and judge with perspective?

Is this kindergarten?

I'm convinced most of the people who are speaking about young guys in general with the level of absolutes shown often around here (and make no mistake BWC, you are the king of this), just pick a guy they like the first time they see them, or they do smtg flashy, and then thats the opinion for the rest of the way no matter what. And vise versa if you proclaim to hate someone.

That's not how prospects develop. The damn word develop should give a clue. Or the myriad of examples of guys who showed weakness but promise, and then improved significantly. Especially defenseman.

Absolutely. The same people blasting young defensemen are the same ones who criticize the Hawks for "giving up on them too soon".

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
I know we equal parts revere and deride fancy stats around here, but wasn't Duncan Keith statistically one of the worst defenseman in the league last year?

Guess who Ian Mitchell's most common linemate was last year by a country mile? Not easy minutes for a green defenseman, to pick up first line minutes with a past his prime former #1 who had the worst season of his career.

Ian was in over his head no doubt and he looked it, but it's (imo) not fair to write him off because of it.

Ian Mitchell - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Absolutely. The same people blasting young defensemen are the same ones who criticize the Hawks for "giving up on them too soon".

Many of the people defending Mitchell have done nothing but blast and disparage Joker who is a legit NHL defender at this point who appears set to be 2nd pairing in Buffalo next year

Cant have it both ways and blast a productive and young Joker because you wanted to defend the god awful trade from our GM and then defend Mitchell being gifted NHL roster spot and being horrendous

Mitchell should be in AHL this year and nowhere near the Hawks

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Many of the people defending Mitchell have done nothing but blast and disparage Joker who is a legit NHL defender at this point who appears set to be 2nd pairing in Buffalo next year

Cant have it both ways and blast a productive and young Joker because you wanted to defend the god awful trade from our GM and then defend Mitchell being gifted NHL roster spot and being horrendous

Mitchell should be in AHL this year and nowhere near the Hawks

Lol. This response was so predictable man. Please point out who is blasting and "disparaging" Joker. I'll wait for quotes.

Also, even if people blasted Joker, your response is to be just like them?

Reactions: AmericanDream

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
He showed inconsistency, was not ready and needs improvement in a few areas, but to say he sucked and is hopeless? My god.
I don't know if anyone said he's hopeless. I know I didn't. But he was very underwhelming last season.

I think he could become a nice piece for the d. Probably a second pair, second pp slot is his ceiling. As a Hawks fan, I'm hoping like hell he gets there.

What most are getting at is that he was, and continues to be, massively oversold on this site. Almost totally by one person.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Why not? Everything I read sounds awesome about him. I think he has legit top line talent and not as a passenger.
I'm not sure how much of his production in the DEL was because of his linemates and being on one of the better teams in the league. Also, the DEL isn't in the same class as the SEL or Liiga.

I'd be excited if he was putting up numbers like Kubalik and Suter did in the Swiss league. He's nowhere near that.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure how much of his production in the DEL was because of his linemates and being on one of the better teams in the league. Also, the DEL isn't in the same class as the SEL or Liiga.

I'd be excited if he was putting up numbers like Kubalik and Suter did in the Swiss league. He's nowhere near that.
And why is Kurashev better?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

He was 18.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

The fact he held his own at that age in a men’s league should be impressive enough. Not to mention the reports of him playing well to boot.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Is this kindergarten?

Excellent post.

We should have traded Keith away after his first 80-120 games in the league....according to HF Buffoons.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I liked Boqvist more than Reichel, but I still think highly of Lukas and certainly have him above Kurashev (who I like as a solid future middle six guy).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Mitchell will need to be more confident and stronger on the puck, and he’s young so that can improve. He played like a scared lost puppy out there last year.
Ding, ding, ding -per bolded.

Absolutely Mitchell showed warts. And everyone should be cautiously optimistic with pretty much any prospect we get outside of a top 5 pick...but....there is this crazy thing called development and some dmen take a few years to get there. Whether it is Joker, Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, etc..everyone of them is going to develop differently, and you would think some of the people yelling at the clouds on here for the past 5-10 years would f***ing figure that out at some point by now....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad