Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread - Trades, Signings, Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
if Duchene comes in our division (NJD, CBJ, NYI)... That sucks

Only CBJ and NYI would be feasible locations. NYI aren't that great so I dont think that would be a problem at all, but CBJ would pose real issues for a long time if they managed to get a real #1c like Duchene.

I guess the question is, would you rather have CBJ get Duchene and have to find a way to beat CBJ for the next 5 or so years or would you rather move a player like Hanifin and get Duchene for yourself?

Ultimately Car holds all the cards as they have the best package to offer the Avs should they choose to do it. So its really up to them.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Only CBJ and NYI would be feasible locations. NYI aren't that great so I dont think that would be a problem at all, but CBJ would pose real issues for a long time if they managed to get a real #1c like Duchene.

I guess the question is, would you rather have CBJ get Duchene and have to find a way to beat CBJ for the next 5 or so years or would you rather move a player like Hanifin and get Duchene for yourself?

I'd much rather CBJ screw themselves and trade for Duchene. I think he's far overpriced...anybody trading for him is going to regret the deal. Unlike most people, I think he has zero bounce-back from this year and is out of the NHL in his early 30s.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I’d be surprised if Duchene returns a Top 10 leaguewide prospect. That’s inconsistent with what players of a similar contract status have returned in recent memory.

My guess is Hamonic/Pulock + Bellows/Beauvillier + 2017/2018 1st.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'd much rather CBJ screw themselves and trade for Duchene. I think he's far overpriced...anybody trading for him is going to regret the deal. Unlike most people, I think he has zero bounce-back from this year and is out of the NHL in his early 30s.

Did he steal your girl or run over your dog?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

While I do somewhat strongly disagree about your opinions on Duchene, which I find somewhat foolish, I do respect your opinion and appreciate you providing your point of view to the discussion.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I’d be surprised if Duchene returns a Top 10 leaguewide prospect. That’s inconsistent with what players of a similar contract status have returned in recent memory.

My guess is Hamonic/Pulock + Bellows/Beauvillier + 2017/2018 1st.

"Top 10 prospect" is such a poor term to me. Prospect standings vary so widely year by year and simply trying to give them an arbitrary rank based on predicting their future is so silly.

It makes sense that in order to get a #1c just entering their prime on a solid deal with no personal baggage you would have to give up something as difficult to obtain in return. I mean each year there are about 3-4 D prospects that have a chance to become top pairing and many of them don't live up to the hype anyways. A player like Duchene is available once every maybe 2-3 years.

Granted I think the Avs would much rather have a young Dman as part of the deal, there is no reason NYI would give a crap about giving up a player who could become as good as Duchene for the real thing now, especially when they have to convince JT to resign or they are hella ****ed

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I definitely think all of the people that think Duchene is done will be proven quite wrong this year, no matter where he plays. I could very easily be wrong, but I do watch almost every Avs game, and even with a few bad months this year, I think he'll bounce back to normal. It's comical the number of people on these boards that were probably complaining at Skinner being undervalued after bad years are doing the same to Duchene.
Unfortunately, if we don't get him, it seems very likely he'll end up on a team that we'll be fighting for a playoff spot with somewhere in the east.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I definitely think all of the people that think Duchene is done will be proven quite wrong this year, no matter where he plays. I could very easily be wrong, but I do watch almost every Avs game, and even with a few bad months this year, I think he'll bounce back to normal. It's comical the number of people on these boards that were probably complaining at Skinner being undervalued after bad years are doing the same to Duchene.
Unfortunately, if we don't get him, it seems very likely he'll end up on a team that we'll be fighting for a playoff spot with somewhere in the east.

Its a natural reflex on here that happens with every big trade. You see a rumor of a team asking for a player you love for a player you dont know well, thus you naturally dont want it to happen so you try and discredit it to make yourself feel better.

In a similar sense fans who want deals to happen will sometime overstate certain players and the echo chamber of HFB will present a false representation, kind of what we see now with everyone thinking Brodin from Min is anything more than a bottom 3 guy. So thus the first group uses this as validation for their efforts.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
My .02, if Hanifin was in the table for Duchene, there's no reason not to think that a deal should have already taken place leading up to the deadline. Sakic was and evidently still is asking for a ridiculous return. Duchene still has value, but there's absolutely no way after his stinker season and WC performance that he pulls that sort of return from GMRF at this time. Hanifin finally played like a top 4 guy after the Hainsey trade. Trading him for Duchene plus things like 12OA and another prospect goes against everything Francis has preached. It also creates a hole to be filled in the top 4, which Fleury or Bean is not ready to fill.

The CAR top 4 of Faulk, Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin has immense potential and is damn cheap next year. Why screw with that until you have to, or at least you know you have a viable replacement (Fleury/Bean) or you can't afford to re-sign them. Francis has come out and said on multiple occasions his picks will be his ammo for players. The expansion draft presents a very unique challenge to take advantage of other teams up against the cap. GMRF has many options.

I'd love Duchene on the Canes, but Sakic is not getting his grubby hands on any of the Canes current top 4. Fleury/Bean + 12OA, I'm all for. I could maybe get behind Hanifin for Drouin or Reinhart. What won't happen though is Hanifin for Duchene in any form. It makes no sense now for CAR. The sooner Matty-boy is dealt to some other team for an underwhelming return, the better.

My bet is that one of T Johnson, J Eberle or Anisomov is a Cane via a trade of picks/prospects in the next few week.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
My .02, if Hanifin was in the table for Duchene, there's no reason not to think that a deal should have already taken place leading up to the deadline. Sakic was and evidently still is asking for a ridiculous return. Duchene still has value, but there's absolutely no way after his stinker season and WC performance that he pulls that sort of return from GMRF at this time. Hanifin finally played like a top 4 guy after the Hainsey trade. Trading him for Duchene plus things like 12OA and another prospect goes against everything Francis has preached. It also creates a hole to be filled in the top 4, which Fleury or Bean is not ready to fill.

The CAR top 4 of Faulk, Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin has immense potential and is damn cheap next year. Why screw with that until you have to, or at least you know you have a viable replacement (Fleury/Bean) or you can't afford to re-sign them. Francis has come out and said on multiple occasions his picks will be his ammo for players. The expansion draft presents a very unique challenge to take advantage of other teams up against the cap. GMRF has many options.

I'd love Duchene on the Canes, but Sakic is not getting his grubby hands on any of the Canes current top 4. Fleury/Bean + 12OA, I'm all for. I could maybe get behind Hanifin for Drouin or Reinhart. What won't happen though is Hanifin for Duchene in any form. It makes no sense now for CAR. The sooner Matty-boy is dealt to some other team for an underwhelming return, the better.

Speaking to the non-emotionally driven portions. It is extremely likely the ball has always been in GMRF's court. Sakic most likely gave what he would be looking for and should GMRF ever want to pull the trigger he could do so.

There are plenty of reasons for and against him making the trade for Duchene, ultimately its about what direction he wants to go with his team, and in both situations Canes fans would ultimately be happy with the outcome in the short-mid term, anything after that would depend on other factors.

Ultimately without one of the big 3 no Duchene deal will be made, and should that not be the case you should be rooting for Duchene to get the largest return possible as it is likely an eastern rival will end up with him and the less they have, the better for Car.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Speaking to the non-emotionally driven portions. It is extremely likely the ball has always been in GMRF's court. Sakic most likely gave what he would be looking for and should GMRF ever want to pull the trigger he could do so.

There are plenty of reasons for and against him making the trade for Duchene, ultimately its about what direction he wants to go with his team, and in both situations Canes fans would ultimately be happy with the outcome in the short-mid term, anything after that would depend on other factors.

Ultimately without one of the big 3 no Duchene deal will be made, and should that not be the case you should be rooting for Duchene to get the largest return possible as it is likely an eastern rival will end up with him and the less they have, the better for Car.

I'm frankly sick of the Duchene trade talk. The probability he's ever a Cane is extemely low, I'm ok with that.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
My bet is that one of T Johnson, J Eberle or Anisomov is a Cane via a trade of picks/prospects in the next few week.

I'd much rather go after eberle than deal away one of our top 4 right now.

EDIT: Also swinging a deal with Chicago to get a nice piece if we take Kruger as part of the package would be cool.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'd much rather go after eberle than deal away one of our top 4 right now.

EDIT: Also swinging a deal with Chicago to get a nice piece if we take Kruger as part of the package would be cool.

Exactly, makes much more sense and this type of deal seems right up GMRF's alley. Hopefully, the recently reported interest of multiple teams in Eberle doesn't drive the price up too high.

TVR seems like he'd be the perfect 3rd pair partner for Dahlbeck or Fleury, but if rumors are true, seems like Vegas may have poached both Krueger and TVR. Anisimov is intriguing, but I imagine CHI will do their best to keep him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'm frankly sick of the Duchene trade talk. The probability he's ever a Cane is extemely low, I'm ok with that.

Generally thats every big rumor. Its probably even worse for Colorado fans who have had to put up with it for years on here between RoR, Stastny, Duchene and what will probably continue with Barrie and maybe EJ.

As long as Car has a ton of Dmen and holes on the offense they will be a rumored target for players. I also wouldn't say the probability is extremely low, we simply dont know. The circumstances are all there, its just up to what Car wants to go which we cant really quantify

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

If Sakic is trading Duchene for futures, fine, we'll play along, as we've got those in spades.

If he is trading for current pieces, let him trade with someone else, and that someone else can weaken their roster accordingly.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Exactly, makes much more sense and this type of deal seems right up GMRF's alley. Hopefully, the recently reported interest of multiple teams in Eberle doesn't drive the price up too high.

TVR seems like he'd be the perfect 3rd pair partner for Dahlbeck or Fleury, but if rumors are true, seems like Vegas may have poached both Krueger and TVR. Anisimov is intriguing, but I imagine CHI will do their best to keep him.

I could see one of the top D prospects and a 2nd maybe getting it done. Him one one line and Skinner on the other would add a good balance of playmaking and offense.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If Sakic is trading Duchene for futures, fine, we'll play along, as we've got those in spades.

If he is trading for current pieces, let him trade with someone else, and that someone else can weaken their roster accordingly.

If it only took futures the trade would have happened by now. Have to get something as valuable back, so its just which of those two things you find more valuable is all.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If it only took futures the trade would have happened by now. Have to get something as valuable back, so its just which of those two things you find more valuable is all.

None of our top four, who could well make up one of the best defenses in the NHL for a decade. Better to trade futures for second line quality than compromise our D for what may or may not be top line quality.

In other words: not Duchene.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's crazy to think that Duchene is done and won't ever come back, but it's nearly as crazy to just assume he'll come back and be the same player he was before. He's a risk. At least as big a risk as it was to sign Brindy back in 2001 coming off the least productive 2 years of his career.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
None of our top four, who could well make up one of the best defenses in the NHL for a decade. Better to trade futures for second line quality than compromise our D for what may or may not be top line quality.

In other words: not Duchene.

You need high end centers to win a cup just as much as a solid defense, but Car already has high end replacements for any Dman they'd move away.

Once again though I am not for one way or the other, both have upsides and downsides. Its just whatever they choose to do is all.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It's crazy to think that Duchene is done and won't ever come back, but it's nearly as crazy to just assume he'll come back and be the same player he was before. He's a risk. At least as big a risk as it was to sign Brindy back in 2001 coming off the least productive 2 years of his career.

Again what possible evidence would leave you to believe he is a risk? No injury history and is entering the prime of his career.

It shouldn't be a surprise given the teams decline ,lack of supporting talent and constant rumors about him for a year that his numbers wouldn't be career highs.

Like have you seen how dreadful the Avs roster is? Beauchemin gets 25 min a night and Rene Bourque was in their top 6 as a PTO. Some of their best guys are from the waiver wire, its not pretty.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
For my part, I certainly agree with the don't trade any of the current top four for him, mainly because of the contract situation. But I also think that on the other end, Bean/Fleury + 1st, or less as some seem to think, won't be quite enough to get it done.

I'm not all in on Duchene as the only option. I just hope if one of our playoff spot rivals get him, that we've added multiple pieces to improve this team and we get continued improvement from our youth and prospects, because I think the risk of Duchene being done is incredibly overstated. Time will tell.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Again what possible evidence would leave you to believe he is a risk?

How could you possibly NOT see the risk, coming off a season like that? yeah, I know the team is bad, OK. But maybe part of the reason they were bad is because Duchene didn't exactly do his part.

I like him and all but I'm not trading any of our top 4 d-men for him. If they want some prospect and picks, or something like Rask or Teravainen + a pick, great, let's do this. But I'm assuming that if that were the case it already would've happened by now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->