Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread 3 - No draft trades? We're all gonna die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The PDG/Nordstrom/McGinn/Jooris dynamic is something to watch. PDG might be sporting another sweater come October, which is weird because he does have NHL skills. The fact that we might have to waive an NHL talent because he doesn't fit what we do stylistically is weird. I still don't think we sign Jooris without a plan to have him play. I doubt we'd be able to sell him on coming in to compete for the 13th spot. It just seems like a weird thing to pursue him if he's going to be your healthy extra.

Seems to me that PDG is the ideal 13th forward. If someone takes a game off, pull him and put PDG in, and tell the passenger "you go back in when you skate like that." And, of course, he's good depth for the inevitable injury.

I also think we're gonna have a full press box for the first time in forever. That's great.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Back to Juice...I feel like even in his bad years he's about as good as we've seen from the DR. and if he had a good year he'd be our 1st or 2nd leading scorer. Would feel a lot better with him penciled in as 3c.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Aho - X - Lindholm
Teravainen - Staal - Williams
Skinner - Rask - Stempniak
Nordstrom - Kruger - McGinn
Ryan, Jooris

The team is one quantity-for-quality trade for a center away from being an actual dark-horse, imo.

C'mon Sakic. Bean++ for Duchene.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Aho - estaalo @ 3 million - Lindholm
Teravainen - Staal - Williams
Skinner - Rask - Stempniak
Nordstrom - Kruger - McGinn
Ryan, Jooris

The team is one quantity-for-quality trade for a center away from being an actual dark-horse, imo.

C'mon Sakic. Bean++ for Duchene.

:sarcasm: ...?

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
So that Avs writer was laughing about Ron Francis era- I mean, we have addressed every issue we had except #1 C over this off-season and it`s early july now. Worst GM of all time title guaranteed!

****ing moran

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
KHL releases all Dynamo players with one-way deals. Owed salary will not be repaid but at least they are free. 2-way players still in limbo

Anyone on that team that is a 1C for us?

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
It's not that big problem because it's the fourth line but i wonder about McGinn as RW: how good is he or how adequate could be at such an defensive line (with Kruger and Nordstrom)?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I still don't think we sign Jooris without a plan to have him play. I doubt we'd be able to sell him on coming in to compete for the 13th spot. It just seems like a weird thing to pursue him if he's going to be your healthy extra.

This is directly where my mind went when I read that Kruger was on his way here. Like someone else said, it's going to take some time to get used to having players sit in the press box who aren't terrible. Then again, I've never seen Jooris play...

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This is directly where my mind went when I read that Kruger was on his way here. Like someone else said, it's going to take some time to get used to having players sit in the press box who aren't terrible. Then again, I've never seen Jooris play...

At least we still get to see Derek Ryan on the ice! Sometimes too much change at once can be shock the system, best to ease in.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Back to Juice...I feel like even in his bad years he's about as good as we've seen from the DR. and if he had a good year he'd be our 1st or 2nd leading scorer. Would feel a lot better with him penciled in as 3c.

I know it's not an entirely fair comparison as ryan only has one season to look at and it wasn't a full set of games, but jokinens lowest point total for an NHL year (accounting for having to add seasons split between two teams) is only a few points lower than ryan. But he is a few years older and has that caveat of needing a change of scenery/kick in the butt every few years. I'd be happy to have him back but not for any more than one year at a time and less than like 2 million ish

Starg

Jul 4, 2017
Finland
Aho - X - Lindholm

The team is one quantity-for-quality trade for a center away from being an actual dark-horse

Bolding by me.

My first post on HFBoards ever (been reading couple years tho). You might think I'm crazy, but...

Why don't just use Sebastian Aho as a center? Guy is a beast and has fantastic 2 way smarts. A lot more potential as a center than a winger in my opinion and been watching this kid for a long time.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Yakupov to Colorado. How fascinating.
Avs now have on their team,

3rd overall pick from 2009
2nd overall pick from 2011
1st overall pick from 2012
1st overall pick from 2013
1st overall pick from 2006

Well, at least they give away ROR for nothing :D.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Bolding by me.

My first post on HFBoards ever (been reading couple years tho). You might think I'm crazy, but...

Why don't just use Sebastian Aho as a center? Guy is a beast and has fantastic 2 way smarts. A lot more potential as a center than a winger in my opinion and been watching this kid for a long time.

Welcome to the mad house!

He'll be a center. Bill Peters knows that. He wants to give Aho another season to grow, and get stronger and faster before he adds the pressure. Not this season but next, most likely.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Bolding by me.

I think they gradually work him in on center throughout the season to see what he has and if he is successful, we just found our 1C.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Leafs fan here. I'm not too familiar with your DMEN (both pro and prospects). I am very high on Kapanen. I think, with top-9 minutes, he will easily get 20-20 next year. I think his ceiling is a poor man's Hossa (30-30 with great D). He's also far more physical and gritty than I had expected. Finally, his skating is elite. He is our best skater, even better than Nylander.

Which of your D would be equivalent value for Kapanen?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ Nobody currently in the NHL (and I honestly don't know enough about Jake Bean). If TVR/Fleury are going to be their 5/6 next year, and Faulk/Slavin/Pesce/Hanifin could all be with this team for 10 more years or longer, you can pretty much develop the McKeowns and then trade them. So I'd start there.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Leafs fan here. I'm not too familiar with your DMEN (both pro and prospects). I am very high on Kapanen. I think, with top-9 minutes, he will easily get 20-20 next year. I think his ceiling is a poor man's Hossa (30-30 with great D). He's also far more physical and gritty than I had expected. Finally, his skating is elite. He is our best skater, even better than Nylander.

Which of your D would be equivalent value for Kapanen?
Our GM said that we are not trading any of our NHL D man, he likes what we have, and only very one side deal for Canes would make him change his mind IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->