Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
I hope the Leafs win tonight, but if they don’t…

Who thinks Sheldon Keefe will be our next associate/assistant coach? At least the Leafs had a competent PP in the regular season.

I’d rather see fresh blood (Jagr for assistant coach), than a Dubas re-tread, but at least we’d have some exciting drama!
I wouldn't be shocked if David Quinn is hired to replace Reiden.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Someone I’d look at for the assistant spot is Marco Sturm. Ontario’s powerplay was one of the best in the AHL the last 2 seasons. PK was pretty good last year too, though not so good this year. He played for Sullivan in Boston so there’s familiarity. Young guy, not what I’d call a retread. I feel like he’d do a good job of running the forwards too just based on the type of player he was. The kinda guy that even stubborn vets would listen to. Switch Vellucci to handle the D.

That gives us 2 assistants that come from more of a player development background to balance Sullivan’s penchant for vets. And some youth even behind the bench.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You’ve both been warned. Keefe would/will be worse. Much worse. Possibly the only coach you can say that about.
Instead Dubas is gonna sit here and let Sullivan hire David Quinn and then when the Pens still suck next year Dubas is gonna have to reluctantly fire Sully and we'll get the head coach David Quinn experience which is basically Mike Sullivan but way worse

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Instead Dubas is gonna sit here and let Sullivan hire David Quinn and then when the Pens still suck next year Dubas is gonna have to reluctantly fire Sully and we'll get the head coach David Quinn experience which is basically Mike Sullivan but way worse
Dubas’ loyalty to Keefe would be like Shero and Bylsma x100 except if the 09 cup never happened, or the 08 finals, or anything good.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Dubas’ loyalty to Keefe would be like Shero and Bylsma x100 except if the 09 cup never happened, or the 08 finals, or anything good.
It's funny you say that because the Leafs right now do remind me of the post 09 Bylsma Penguins except that their fans can't look back and say hey at least we got the one cup recently.

Anyways I think we can both agree that unless Dubas does something unexpected we're gonna end up with a disappointing coaching staff again next year

Reactions: Andy99

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It's funny you say that because the Leafs right now do remind me of the post 09 Bylsma Penguins except that their fans can't look back and say hey at least we got the one cup recently.

Anyways I think we can both agree that unless Dubas does something unexpected we're gonna end up with a disappointing coaching staff again next year
You either have nepotism with Sully and our Masshole overloards or nepotism with Dubas and that bloated never has been in Keefe.

Speaking of the 09 Pens, the reason Woodcraft would also be on my never ever hire list is that he had multiple chances with the closest thing to the Pens 09 core since then and did **** all with it. He’d do catastrophically worse with an aged out version of the Oilers that we currently are. He also has the face of a guy who has said “my father will hear about this” many times when he has felt wronged by someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99 and Pancakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad