News: Offseason Coaching/GM Thread

Feb 19, 2018
Canucks will clean house and add a president to protect the “Brand”. Too much smoke and I bet it was created by ownership as an excuse to let go their personal puppet. They have used social media in the past to justify things as it’s hard for them to get rid of the guy who they have used as a front man for their fantasy GM mode. They must have learned a bit being billionaires and this experience is no different. Hire Hockey people to make Hockey decisions, anything else is just a joke and they will lose a ton of money with fans jumping ship. Explains the non resigning of Green so the new GM gets to pick his coach.

Too much just adds up for a complete overhaul.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
@caley

Not sure if this is something to consider, or may be too much of a hassle, but how about adding scouting departments and directors of player personnel to this thread?

Seems that these go through the most changes and can ultimately indicate a direction a team is heading/headed.

As always, thank you for everything that you do for this channel and also HF as a whole. The real MVP!!

:)

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
If Bergevin is canned, and we all hope he is after this season, Molson must throw trucks of money at Julien Brisebois until he accepts to come back home

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
@caley

Not sure if this is something to consider, or may be too much of a hassle, but how about adding scouting departments and directors of player personnel to this thread?
:)
I thought about it, but it's SO much to do.

The Leafs, for instance, have a Special Assistant to the GM, Director of Player Personnel, Assistant Director of Player Personnel, Director of Hockey and Scouting Operations, Director of Hockey Strategy, Director of Video and Prospect Analysis, Senior Advisor (Cliff Fletcher!), Director of Team Operations, Assistant GM of the Marlies, Manager of Hockey Operations, and 19 (!) different people listed under the scouting department, with 8 more in player development, and 7 more in hockey research and development.

It would just be too much, so I try to stick to a GM/A.GM/President management scheme.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Canucks will clean house and add a president to protect the “Brand”. Too much smoke and I bet it was created by ownership as an excuse to let go their personal puppet. They have used social media in the past to justify things as it’s hard for them to get rid of the guy who they have used as a front man for their fantasy GM mode. They must have learned a bit being billionaires and this experience is no different. Hire Hockey people to make Hockey decisions, anything else is just a joke and they will lose a ton of money with fans jumping ship. Explains the non resigning of Green so the new GM gets to pick his coach.

There is no smoke, that's just a bunch of dudes on twitter out back vaping.

Rumor out of Van today is that Green will sign his extension by EOD tomorrow.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
is there a group of guys that are seen as top canidates to become assistant coaches running power plays ?
asking as obviously blysma has left detroit

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If Bergevin is canned, and we all hope he is after this season, Molson must throw trucks of money at Julien Brisebois until he accepts to come back home
i respect your opinion and realize i'm in the minority but i hope he's not . in two years time will seeing 30 million in cap freed up , our vets will be petry , gallagher anderson , danault and toffoli and will have awesome young core of suzuki ,evans , kk , caufield, romanov , struble harris , norlinder, primeau , . if he is fired the gm coming into that situation will be a lucky man .

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I thought about it, but it's SO much to do.

The Leafs, for instance, have a Special Assistant to the GM, Director of Player Personnel, Assistant Director of Player Personnel, Director of Hockey and Scouting Operations, Director of Hockey Strategy, Director of Video and Prospect Analysis, Senior Advisor (Cliff Fletcher!), Director of Team Operations, Assistant GM of the Marlies, Manager of Hockey Operations, and 19 (!) different people listed under the scouting department, with 8 more in player development, and 7 more in hockey research and development.

It would just be too much, so I try to stick to a GM/A.GM/President management scheme.

No worries!! Thanks anyways!!

Reactions: caley

Deaner

Oct 9, 2011
Thank you for the awesome and useful thread!

I'll suggest it might be helpful to update the OP with info about those who have received contract extensions in 2021 to mitigate or curtail some of the more useless speculation.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015

What is your source for this? I’m quite sure Green was extended yesterday. Nothing else has changed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is your source for this? I’m quite sure Green was extended yesterday. Nothing else has changed.
The person posted that late Wednesday after him was retained but that morning Twitter was a buzz about management making a decision in Benning which the media ran to the conclusion that he was getting fired.

Green for extended on Friday.

disappointing news from a fans POV. Means more of the same old. No real plan just play it by ear.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Canucks
-hire Brad Shaw as Assistant Coach
-hire Kyle Gustafson as Assistant/Special Assignment coach
-re-sign Nolan Baumgartner & Jason King as Assistant Coaches
-re-sign Ian Clark as Goalie Coach
-part ways with Assistant Coach Newell Brown

more at the link

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Flames name Kirk Muller as Associate Coach and Cail MacLean as Assistant Coach. Ray Edwards and Martin Gelinas will not return as Assistants and will transition into player development.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

In the replies, Minnesota beat writer Michael Russo wrote "Soon" then quickly deleted it.

The intrigue here, besides in Chynoweth, is that Friedman reported a few weeks back that Brind'amour had basically reached an agreement to remain as Hurricanes coach but that he wouldn't sign an extension until all the Canes assistants and training staff were all signed to extensions, too. Chynoweth being given permission to look elsewhere perhaps implies that those contract extensions may not be forthcoming which makes one wonder whether Brind'Amour returns, as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->