News: Offseason Adds and Deletes

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
What was your thoughts on players traded during the previous trade deadline?

Several teams iced lineups that did not belong in the NHL and the roster they ended the season with did not reflect their record and yearly stats.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
The first post is for Offseason Adds/Deletes only.

The reason I don't included Schmaltz for the second chart is that his goal total would already be included from last season, if that makes sense...
Yup makes sense. I see you only included the goal totals for their tenure in Arz and not their full season stats

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
What was your thoughts on players traded during the previous trade deadline?

Several teams iced lineups that did not belong in the NHL and the roster they ended the season with did not reflect their record and yearly stats.
Like I said it’s not really scientific or predictive but I thought it would be fun to take last seasons goal totals and make a completely rough idea of how many goals teams gained or lost off last seasons rosters.

Brouwer is not a loss yet for the Panthers. Tallon might bring him in closer to camp.
As I said above, UFAs are included as deletes until such time as they re-sign at which point I will adjust it.

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
Good list. You can add Mike Condon to the deletes for OTT and add him to TB.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Nice work Caley. The only suggestion I'd make is instead of +/- Goals, do it for points; for example a team could have improved by adding a 60pt. playmaker (12G, 48A) who only scores say 10-15 goals per season. Or vice versa. This would give us the bigger picture.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Got all the goal charts updated now in the second post, which means someone will almost definitely sign with a new team or make trade now.

First post should be all updated, too.

Reactions: uncleben

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Nice work on the list..... hopefully soon we'll see Loui Erikson on the delete list. Not likely but one can hope

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Damn, that's a lot of work you put into the top 2 posts.

I knew the BJs and TML had a lot of changes, but didn't realize it was that much.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
i dont understand why some players traded away at the TDL are part of deleted list but the players they were traded for are not included in the adds.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
i dont understand why some players traded away at the TDL are part of deleted list but the players they were traded for are not included in the adds.
The first post is meant to include Offseason Adds and Deletes only. That's it, nothing from the trade deadline.

The second post is just a little chart I did showing how many Goals each team added to their roster from last season and deleted from their roster last season. Players who were acquired in-season already have their goal totals included, because their goals would already be included as they scored them for that team (Unless they were subsequently moved). Players who were traded away during the season are included on the DELETE side because their goals would still be part of the their previous' teams Goals For list for that season.

For example, let's look at Detroit. In terms of offseason departures, the Wings added 18 goals (Nemth and Fippula). They also lost Vanek, Kronwall (Possibly), and Frk among players who scored goals last season, which would mean they also lost 20 goals. Now Detroit had 224 goals scored last year (Per Hockey-Reference.com), so they added 18 goals and lost 20, would put them at 222. BUT of those 224 goals, Gustav Nyquist scored 16 and Nick Jensen 2, before being traded to San Jose and Washington, respectively. So, going into next season, that's 18 goals the Red Wings can't count on, because Nyquist and Jensen are gone. So in taking a look at Detroit's goal totals, it makes sense to not include either Nyquist or Jensen, because they won't be scoring for Detroit this year. Meanwhile, a guy like Madison Bowey who was acquired for Jensen, scored 1 goal for the Wings, so his goal is already included in Detroit's Goals For total. It doesn't account for the other half of the season that Bowey played with Washington because then you have to start getting into predictive stats, ice-time and other things that are outside of my wheelhouse (This would probably be a fun experiment to do, separately, and include players like Hughes, Gusev and use NHLe to predict how many goals they would score but that's also more work them I'm willing to do).

So, yeah, the second post isn't meant to be anything other than "Wow, they added/lost a lot of goals, neat." The first post is the actual offseason Adds/Deletes

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad