Officially the worst start in team history

Jesus

Oct 5, 2006
Tommy Salo never posted better than a .914sv% nor did he ever have 30 wins in his career.

Funny fact about Dubnyk. He's had the best 2 seasons in Oilers history in terms of sv% playing at least 15 games.

Not to be a pedant but he put up a 30 and 36 win season with the Oilers. He was a very good goalie for the club until his Olympic gaffe.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
I'm trying to look at the positives here because odds are we probably weren't quite a playoff team this year anyways and a top 5 pic > 10th-14th... but no, **** it, I just wan't to be .500 for once :(

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
1 step forward, 2 steps back. The team is good at faceoffs and can hold its own 5v5 this season but goaltending, d-zone coverage and now our special teams are beyond terrible. The only way it could get worse is the dummies in upper management get ripped off in a trade involving the big 5.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That 92-93 season was such a killer. Team went from conference finals the year before and a decent club to one of the worst and started the thud going;

Edmonton 1-8-1 3 24 50

just look at that scoreline, ouch, getting clobbered in games. The last one of that stretch being Oct 25 and a 4-0 loss to the Flames.

That was the year the wheels totally fell off. Team without any swagger left, after some deadline deals rebuild was on and team lost the last 11/12 games. A cold winter.

Whats more is the team was so bad and lineup so bad by years end you knew the suck was going to be on for a long long time.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
we're not even 3 full weeks into the season...

lmao, you keep hanging on to that bud....look at the standings and do some quick math...Cgy and Phx have games in hand on us and are still leaving us in the dust and they aren't even in a playoff spot...if you think those teams above us are going to collapse (all the while, we go on a huge winning streak, pfft yeah right, not likely), you have a huge reality check coming in the mail.

Time to pull your head out of the sand, the season is OVER!!! There haven't been too many teams in any sport that starts this badly and still make the playoffs (and no, the CFL doesn't count when there is only 4 teams in your conference and you can get into the playoffs being several games under .500). Just doesn't happen, especially when the team has zero morale.

Oct 15, 2008
Tommy Salo never posted better than a .914sv% nor did he ever have 30 wins in his career.

Funny fact about Dubnyk. He's had the best 2 seasons in Oilers history in terms of sv% playing at least 15 games.

That means nothing. Goalscoring is way down these days. Are you suggesting Dubnyk is better than Fuhr?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
lmao, you keep hanging on to that bud....look at the standings and do some quick math...Cgy and Phx have games in hand on us and are still leaving us in the dust and they aren't even in a playoff spot...if you think those teams above us are going to collapse (all the while, we go on a huge winning streak, pfft yeah right, not likely), you have a huge reality check coming in the mail.

Time to pull your head out of the sand, the season is OVER!!! There haven't been too many teams in any sport that starts this badly and still make the playoffs (and no, the CFL doesn't count when there is only 4 teams in your conference and you can get into the playoffs being several games under .500). Just doesn't happen, especially when the team has zero morale.

the playoff cutoff is roughly 95 points each year.... we have 3 point through 8 games, which means we would have to pick up 92 points in the next 74 games, or a .622 winning%... in 2012-13 there were only 5 teams that had a .622 winning% or greater, and in 2011-12 there were only 8 teams

for us to sneak into the playoffs in the 8th spot, we'd have to play like a top-5 team in the ENTIRE LEAGUE for the rest of the season! lol... this year is done, it's not even close really... unless you believe we're going to win at the same rate that vancouver did last year.... yeah, didn't think so

this year is over, how anybody could argue anything else is beyond me

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
the playoff cutoff is roughly 95 points each year.... we have 3 point through 8 games, which means we would have to pick up 92 points in the next 74 games, or a .622 winning%... in 2012-13 there were only 5 teams that had a .622 winning% or greater, and in 2011-12 there were only 8 teams

for us to sneak into the playoffs in the 8th spot, we'd have to play like a top-5 team in the ENTIRE LEAGUE for the rest of the season! lol... this year is done, it's not even close really... unless you believe we're going to win at the same rate that vancouver did last year.... yeah, didn't think so

Playoff cutoff is not going to be 95pts this year. I doubt it.

8/14 clubs make the playoffs in the west. Going to take a lot of 3pt games or wins against the East for West clubs to require that amount of pts. i see more like 90-92pts.
Still real uphill.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe

yeah, this is what i'm trying to tell some of these posters, at least i'm not the only one that sees it...and ftr, i'm usually one of the ones telling people to have patience and usually i'm one of the optimistic ones on here, but even I can see the writing on the wall for this year....even though we aren't technically out of it, realistically we are done like dinner.

I know there is a long season left, but its not even the point difference in the standings, its the morale of the team, its zero right now and that's a tough thing to get back, not to mention their play, which is sporadic at best.

The Perfect Human*

First 10 games of 2005-2006:

Oilers were 3-6-1.

We made the playoffs that year - we went to the SCF that year.

If we win the next 2 games (MTL, BUF) - we're sitting with that exact record this year.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee

yeah, but inflated sv% from high volume of shots on goal = meh.

no team is "scared" to shoot on him so they just throw it at him waiting for the Kitty Cat to bat his paws around for flubbed pucks, cheat on angles, or play as a 5'5" goalie at 6'5"

Dubnyk was on pace to face 1921 shots last year - if he played in 70 games - at 27+ shots on goal a game. Tommy Salo, in his highest year, faced 1713 in 70 games (24 shots a game)... and that was a .914 sv%. Dubnyk was a tad better in save % but his goals against was worse (2.57) than Salo's 2.33. id rather have less pucks in the net.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Playoff cutoff is not going to be 95pts this year. I doubt it.

8/14 clubs make the playoffs in the west. Going to take a lot of 3pt games or wins against the East for West clubs to require that amount of pts. i see more like 90-92pts.
Still real uphill.

you could be right about that actually, but even if it only requires 90 points (which is really low IMO) it would require a .588 winning% the rest of the way.... considering our winning% right now is .188, this is pure fantasy talk

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
First 10 games of 2005-2006:

Oilers were 3-6-1.

We made the playoffs that year - we went to the SCF that year.

If we win the next 2 games (MTL, BUF) - we're sitting with that exact record this year.

so what do you think our chances of winning both of our next games are? 5%, maybe 15% if we're being generous?

even then, we don't have *nearly* as good of a team as we did in 2005-06... no pronger to settle things down and play 27+ minutes a night

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'd be surprised if this team won 2 games the rest of this month...

100% this.... we have 6 games left this month and the only games i really see as winnable are the montreal and toronto games, because they will likely be willing to play our style... the rest are against the big teams in the west and washington/ottawa... all these teams are miles and miles better than us

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Extra sad is the fact that this is probably the best they've played to start a season in years.

don't think we are watching the same game. If they were playing well and still losing most of this board would not be slitting their wrists. Last night they played well, most nights they have played like the washington generals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad