Officially the worst start in team history

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So somebody in the GDT said that this might be the worst start in Oilers team history. This got me thinking, so I went and looked at every season since we joined the league, and calculated how many points the team had after 8 games.

So far this year we have 3 points through 8 games, which is tied with 1992-93 for the worst start in franchise history. Awesome eh?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Extra sad is the fact that this is probably the best they've played to start a season in years.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Hey! A positive outcome of that is that we're getting Jason Arnott at the draft, right?

Right?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
2vA1a.png

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers showed some amazing foresight by putting all of their tickets on sale before the season started instead of releasing them throughout the season like they usually do.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
in 1992-93 we lost our 9th and 10th games as well, so we have a ways to go before we can have the worst 10 game start to the season in franchise history, but i have faith we'll get there! we're number 1! we're number 1!

Jesus

Oct 5, 2006
It is amazing that for so many years, when the team always seemed to compete for 8th place, fans were lamenting the fact that the Oilers just needed that superstar offensive talent. Now this team has 3/4 potential superstar forwards and yet the team is the worst it has EVER been. It seems incredulous that all those Oilers teams full of plugs were miles better than this current team. How did those teams stay afloat and compete for the playoffs all those years when the club had no money to sign superstar players let alone had the good fortune to ice multiple 1st overall picks?

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
Rest easy friends. This is all part of Lowe's master plan. This phase is Operation Shart for Reinhart. So far, everything is going according.

Oct 15, 2008
It is amazing that for so many years, when the team always seemed to compete for 8th place, fans were lamenting the fact that the Oilers just needed that superstar offensive talent. Now this team has 3/4 potential superstar forwards and yet the team is the worst it has EVER been. It seems incredulous that all those Oilers teams full of plugs were miles better than this current team. How did those teams stay afloat and compete for the playoffs all those years when the club had no money to sign superstar players let alone had the good fortune to ice multiple 1st overall picks?

Above average goaltending.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

hmmm...could it be?...Kevin Lowe?:sarcasm:

also, ...I'm not joking...he was the reason we had respectable teams.

I find it funny how since Katz took over, and he pretty much followed HFOils blueprint of a "proper rebuild"

and the place comes unglued:laugh:

all that was done was what most here wanted...

just like to add, that most here had said their "proper rebuild" would be 5 - 7 years, well....

we're in year 4, and the spazzing has begun....what were you expecting?

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Above average goaltending.
Its also not been said but EIG had way way more accountability to the fans truly dedicated passionate owners.

Darryl Katz has created this deep pockets, take it or leave it mentality with the organization. I look at Mike Illich in Detroit and there is people who worked and took the proper route to develop in all ranks.

Here its buddy buddy, Kevin Lowe you want a job here you go, Mact same as well, exception of maybe Charlie Huddy all bad choices.

Its akin to hiring your friends in a company as opposed to more qualified and suitable people who have talent rather than connection.

Oct 15, 2008
Its also not been said but EIG had way way more accountability to the fans truly dedicated passionate owners.

Darryl Katz has created this deep pockets, take it or leave it mentality with the organization. I look at Mike Illich in Detroit and there is people who worked and took the proper route to develop in all ranks.

Here its buddy buddy, Kevin Lowe you want a job here you go, Mact same as well, exception of maybe Charlie Huddy all bad choices.

Its akin to hiring your friends in a company as opposed to more qualified and suitable people who have talent rather than connection.

You might be onto something.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Salo was the worst of our goalies during those years.

Not counting the dreadful Conkanen of course.

Huh are you serious! Maybe the Olympics skewed peoples heads but before that he was a stable top 10 goalie, by far not the problem. if you think having that save percentage is horrible what is good, or great.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So somebody in the GDT said that this might be the worst start in Oilers team history. This got me thinking, so I went and looked at every season since we joined the league, and calculated how many points the team had after 8 games.

So far this year we have 3 points through 8 games, which is tied with 1992-93 for the worst start in franchise history. Awesome eh?

it was me :)

thanks for looking that up

Oct 15, 2008
Huh are you serious! Maybe the Olympics skewed peoples heads but before that he was a stable top 10 goalie, by far not the problem. if you think having that save percentage is horrible what is good, or great.

Of course Im serious. Cujo and Ranford were better.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

didn't KLowe have the job BEFORE Katz purchased the team?

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
this is good thing...not only for the team, but but for the fans as well.

Actually, it might be....at least we don't have to watch the standings every night and worry about this team winning or that team winning...it doesn't matter already, which ironically takes some stress away from me, maybe the rest of you don't feel that way, but I do...now I can just relax and watch hockey without stress, its kind of freeing actually.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tommy salo was good for a 930 save percentage and 35+wins. People want Dubnyk to be even a 900 save percentage goalie how things change

Tommy Salo never posted better than a .914sv% nor did he ever have 30 wins in his career.

Funny fact about Dubnyk. He's had the best 2 seasons in Oilers history in terms of sv% playing at least 15 games.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Actually, it might be....at least we don't have to watch the standings every night and worry about this team winning or that team winning...it doesn't matter already, which ironically takes some stress away from me, maybe the rest of you don't feel that way, but I do...now I can just relax and watch hockey without stress, its kind of freeing actually.

we're not even 3 full weeks into the season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad