Officially Eliminated

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
We need a president to help Benning with free agency and trades...tho I've liked JBs recent trade.

Trade Hutton , Sutter this summer

Make a play for Karlsson.

Make a play for Gardiner if we dont sign Edler

Trade up to get Byram

Free agency and trades are an integral part of the GM job, if Jimbo is too incompetent to deal with it you dont bring someone in to help him, you bring someone in to replace him.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
All in all it was a good year of progression.
- Solidifed our 1C position for the next 10+ years with Pettersson
- After a little sophomore slump and injuries, Boeser proved he will be a first line winger
- Horvat’s progression as a top tier 2C continued
- Stecher showed all year he is a core defensive piece
- Markstrom finally looked like a number 1 and Demko has look pretty good in his few starts.

With Hughes coming in, hopeful steps forward taken by Gaudette, Juolevi and some SMART UFA signings/trades, Vancouver can significantly improve next year. Vancouver is on the rise!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I guarantee no Tyler Myers....

How many head to head games do you have to witness the Sedins dummy Myers over the yrs to know he's 'limited'?

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
All in all it was a good year of progression.
- Solidifed our 1C position for the next 10+ years with Pettersson
- After a little sophomore slump and injuries, Boeser proved he will be a first line winger
- Horvat’s progression as a top tier 2C continued
- Stecher showed all year he is a core defensive piece
- Markstrom finally looked like a number 1 and Demko has look pretty good in his few starts.

With Hughes coming in, hopeful steps forward taken by Gaudette, Juolevi and some SMART UFA signings/trades, Vancouver can significantly improve next year. Vancouver is on the rise!

How much better this team would look, if it had Forsling and McCann on it right now.

Hopefully our management group has developed some patience..

Reactions: Nabrules

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If you think that acquiring a 24 yr old and a 29 yr old isthe same thing then there's nothing else to say.. is there..

That is not what I said.

Just that he wasnt able to assess the dman Gudbranson was, so no reason to think he can assess Myers who he isnt as familiar with.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Probably in the minority... But I overpay to try to get the #1 pick to have the brother combination. (I already assume we won't win the lottery). I want Bettman to walk to the podium in Vancouver and to announce... "we have a trade". Just depends on who we deal with.. but one of either Demko/DiPietro, our first, and additional picks/prospects are all on the table.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
5th? Dream on. Even 6th is really unlikely. I think the best we can realistically hope for is 7th overall, and more likely we'll be picking at the 8th to 10th spot. Don't forget that no team in the NHL has lost draft position more times than the Canucks, since they started the new anti-tanking rules to let better teams leapfrog. It will most likely happen again this year.

Reactions: Nabrules

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Quinn Hughes looks like a fixture as a top four, left-side d-man. And the Canucks didn't draft Juloevi fifth overall to play in Utica. So he figures in on the left side as one of your top four eventually. That would basically leave Hutton as an overpaid, third pairing left-shot d-man.

This is basically the same problem they had with Gudbranson, except he was on the right side. You simply can't pay $4m a season for a third-pairing d-man. So it's easy to predict that the Canucks will be floating Hutton out there on the trade front.

You can't pay $4M for 3rd pairing D that are bad. You can pay $4M for 2nd/3rd pairing D that are good. First the are injuries, our 3rd pairing is likely to lots of 2nd pairing time. Second, we need to be able to roll 3 reliable pairings because we lack elite dmen (give Hughes time). So if the plan is to win we need depth, they have the cap.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
2016: March 25th
2017: March 24th
2018: March 14th
2019: March 29th

Good job, boys. You staved off elimination by like... five extra days this year.

But Zombo, that's 15 days from last year.
:teach:

...what the hell even was last year?

Anyways, so for a goal next year we try to match this elimination date, assuming points will be higher in the West? ...or maybe actually make the playoffs?

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Unless it turns out he's... not good enough?
100%. Until he learns that part of his responsibility as a d man is to keep the puck out of his own net, it doesn’t matter if he went 1st overall. He’s not going to play until he figures that out.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
21 regulation wins
7 overtime wins
5 shootout wins

35 regulation losses
5 overtime losses
5 shootout losses

too many ot games. 57 games where the opponent got at least a point. not nearly enough regulation victories.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Quinn Hughes looks like a fixture as a top four, left-side d-man. And the Canucks didn't draft Juloevi fifth overall to play in Utica. So he figures in on the left side as one of your top four eventually. That would basically leave Hutton as an overpaid, third pairing left-shot d-man.

This is basically the same problem they had with Gudbranson, except he was on the right side. You simply can't pay $4m a season for a third-pairing d-man. So it's easy to predict that the Canucks will be floating Hutton out there on the trade front.

Reports from Utica were juolevi was just plain bad defensively. I highly doubt green is going to insert two rookies who are suspect defensively into the lineup

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
5th? Dream on. Even 6th is really unlikely. I think the best we can realistically hope for is 7th overall, and more likely we'll be picking at the 8th to 10th spot. Don't forget that no team in the NHL has lost draft position more times than the Canucks, since they started the new anti-tanking rules to let better teams leapfrog. It will most likely happen again this year.

Just praying we stay 8-9 at this point. Good thing about this draft is there isn’t a huge difference between prospects 3-10 so we’ll hopefully get another foundation peice

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If they re-sign Edler, then Hutton is as good as gone. As the old saying goes, you have to trade something valuable to get something valuable back. With Edler, Hughes and Juolevi on the left side, there's just no room for him, particularly since he's due a big raise on his $2.8m salary.

Hutton has had a nice season, but they'd be far better off signing a guy off the UFA wire who makes under $1m a season as a depth defender. Heck even Pouliot at $800,000 a season would be better value.

You think we should be moving Hutton to make room for Juolevi? I think Utica should be planning to make sure there is room for Juolevi next year

Reactions: daddyohsix

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Can you explain how past lottery results influence future ones?

Reactions: Canucks5551

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can you explain how past lottery results influence future ones?
As the old gambling bromide goes, the cards have no memory. So yes, every year they re-set the deck and it is possible for a team to keep dropping back in the draft year after year. Best odds are that the Canucks draft exactly where they are now--8th overall as the eighth worst team in the NHL. But their history of dropping, give you little confidence.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
As the old gambling bromide goes, the cards have no memory. So yes, every year they re-set the deck and it is possible for a team to keep dropping back in the draft year after year. Best odds are that the Canucks draft exactly where they are now--8th overall as the eighth worst team in the NHL. But their history of dropping, give you little confidence.

Honestly, I wish they would stack the odds a bit more depending on prior draft history... or at least try to prevent the Oilers three 1st overalls in a row fiasco.

Don't think it would happen... but hey, slightly better odds for teams that haven't picked 1st overall would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad