Officially Eliminated

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
With the Avs getting a point tonight, the playoff hopes are officially dead. Time to look to the draft and next season. Hopefully they find a way to fire Eriksson, Schaller, Pouliot and Spooner into the sun.

With our likely draft position in the 5-8 range, who are you looking at? Who are you hoping to sign in the off-season? Hopefully not Tyler Myers (it's going to be Myers)

Reactions: vanuck

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Its gunna be a Myers overpayment if Benning still has a say.

Draftwise if we hit our #5-7 usual position Im good with Turcotte, Byram, Cozens or Boldy

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
We need a president to help Benning with free agency and trades...tho I've liked JBs recent trade.

Trade Hutton , Sutter this summer

Make a play for Karlsson.

Make a play for Gardiner if we dont sign Edler

Trade up to get Byram

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
And now we'll see massive gobs of icetime for Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller, Markstrom and the rest of the vets as the Canucks try and inexplicably give themselves the worst possible draft position they can.
#Mentorship #CompeteIsInOurNature

Reactions: dwarf

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
And now we'll see massive gobs of icetime for Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller, Markstrom and the rest of the vets as the Canucks try and inexplicably give themselves the worst possible draft position they can.
#Mentorship #CompeteIsInOurNature

At least Sutter's not back in the line-up to turn into an all-star for 10 games, ruin our draft position, and then go back to being a black hole where offense goes to die.

Reactions: vanuck and dwarf

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Heh, playoffs my ASS.

And now let's hear the chant of how Dim Jim is the greatest genius in the world because it was his plan all along to be one of the worst teams in the last half a decade.

Pathetic, straight up pathetic.

Reactions: B-rock and vanuck

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
With the Avs getting a point tonight, the playoff hopes are officially dead. Time to look to the draft and next season. Hopefully they find a way to fire Eriksson, Schaller, Pouliot and Spooner into the sun.

With our likely draft position in the 5-8 range, who are you looking at? Who are you hoping to sign in the off-season? Hopefully not Tyler Myers (it's going to be Myers)
Not a CHANCE we end up 5th. Ottawa Detroit LA NJ and Buffalo WILL be the bottom 5 teams. Doubt Rangers catch us and Anahiem is just crapping the bed all thru out the matrice so 8th or worse depending if we catch the Oilers or Hawks or if a team jumps us in the draft

Not ideal, shohldnt of won too many games cause we probably would have won the lottery after so many misses. Kinda tragic season imo :(

Reactions: dwarf

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We need a president to help Benning with free agency and trades...tho I've liked JBs recent trade.

Trade Hutton , Sutter this summer

Make a play for Karlsson.

Make a play for Gardiner if we dont sign Edler

Trade up to get Byram
I’m thinking trade high on Hutton as well..

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think Hutton is the right piece to trade this offseason unless he's asking for too much or teams are offering a lot for him. I'd rather see what Tanev might be worth, he was bad this season compared to previous years and if he has value I think now might be the time to move on. I don't think we trade a defenseman though.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
My roommate's annoying new pug officially eliminated on the carpet this exact same evening. Who knew?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think Hutton is the right piece to trade this offseason unless he's asking for too much or teams are offering a lot for him. I'd rather see what Tanev might be worth, he was bad this season compared to previous years and if he has value I think now might be the time to move on. I don't think we trade a defenseman though.
Obviously it would depend on who they got via free agency..but Hutton with an add could possibly land a legit top 6..

Tanev ..We would certainly not get value for him at this point..better off keeping him (pretty sure his injury history has tanked a lot of his value)..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Quinn Hughes looks like a fixture as a top four, left-side d-man. And the Canucks didn't draft Juloevi fifth overall to play in Utica. So he figures in on the left side as one of your top four eventually. That would basically leave Hutton as an overpaid, third pairing left-shot d-man.

This is basically the same problem they had with Gudbranson, except he was on the right side. You simply can't pay $4m a season for a third-pairing d-man. So it's easy to predict that the Canucks will be floating Hutton out there on the trade front.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I've been high on Hutton for a long time. I don't think we'll get what he's worth. He looked amazing getting top minutes with Edler out playing 25-30 a night until he was gassed. Conditioning was important last offseason for him and it could be again. Having Hughes-Edler-Hutton on the left side is fantastic. We could shelter Hughes with the easiest minutes for him to feast on while Hutton plays a more two-way role and Edler is reunited with Tanev to be an excellent shutdown pairing. Edler will get injured at some point and we have absolutely no depth. Who will be our 3rd D with Hutton gone? The 4th when there are injuries?

We could still acquire Karlsson if we offload some other contracts. Beagle and Roussel are movable, I could see at least one of them waiving to play with a contender. I would even go as far as paying to dump Eriksson,

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Karlsson
Hughes - Stetcher

looks pretty good to me and I do think it is achievable. I also think Karlsson may have interest in playing with Pettersson.

Reactions: daddyohsix

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If they re-sign Edler, then Hutton is as good as gone. As the old saying goes, you have to trade something valuable to get something valuable back. With Edler, Hughes and Juolevi on the left side, there's just no room for him, particularly since he's due a big raise on his $2.8m salary.

Hutton has had a nice season, but they'd be far better off signing a guy off the UFA wire who makes under $1m a season as a depth defender. Heck even Pouliot at $800,000 a season would be better value.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
2016: March 25th
2017: March 24th
2018: March 14th
2019: March 29th

Good job, boys. You staved off elimination by like... five extra days this year.

b7f0c77702cb0528107ba8a6efd33d339b71616bdce258379433a5b22ef93d3f.jpg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Quinn Hughes looks like a fixture as a top four, left-side d-man. And the Canucks didn't draft Juloevi fifth overall to play in Utica. So he figures in on the left side as one of your top four eventually. That would basically leave Hutton as an overpaid, third pairing left-shot d-man.

This is basically the same problem they had with Gudbranson, except he was on the right side. You simply can't pay $4m a season for a third-pairing d-man. So it's easy to predict that the Canucks will be floating Hutton out there on the trade front.

Wow, I mean I know this is only your speculation and not what the GM may actually do, but this was the same erroneous thinking that many fans applied to Benning's very first trade (I think that was Garrison?) that we've been suffering from ever since. You only dress 6 dmen at a time, it's not hard to accomodate 5 top 4 or better guys in your salary cap and it's a nice luxury to have for when one of your top 4 is inevitably injured you can promote a guy who can handle the responsibility without a sweat. Especially on a team like the Canucks where our top pair is always injured. Even if everyone is healthy then great, give them a 22/20/18 split and don't work anyone into the ground.

About the only time you wouldn't want a $4m type in your bottom pair is if you have a Norris caliber workhorse dman. The type of guys who you can really crank up the minutes on and can carry whatever scrub you pair them with. We're talking about the Canucks here though, not Nashville.

And you need Juolevi to actually make the NHL before you start pencilling him into the top six and trading Hutton to accommodate. He had a mediocre 18 games in the AHL then missed the rest of the season injured, he's going to need to start in Utica again and get better. If/when he does prove to be NHL capable and now you have 4 good LD's then it's never hard to trade a legit dman in the NHL.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Obviously it would depend on who they got via free agency..but Hutton with an add could possibly land a legit top 6..

Tanev ..We would certainly not get value for him at this point..better off keeping him (pretty sure his injury history has tanked a lot of his value)..
Or the fact we didnt move him when we should have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad