OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread Part II

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Incompetent coach and goaltender.

Wisconsin 3, formerly undefeated #1 Minnesota 1. UW has quite a goalie!

There was a Byce playing in the game for the Badgers. That makes me feel old. His dad played for the Badgers and the Milwaukee Admirals and some team called the Bruins.

Must be a different coach and goalie?​

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Badgers Women's hockey team won their 6th NCAA title defeating #1 ranked Northeastern 2-1 in OT. It was a well played game in Erie, PA. NE's goalie reminds me of Ken Dryden. She averages 0.67 GAA and had 9 SO during the season. You will see her on the US Olympic team and at the World Championships. Her name is Aerin Frankel. She is 5'5" but plays like 6'0". The Badgers hit the post about 4 times but Frankel is amazing at positioning herself.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... NE's goalie reminds me of Ken Dryden. She averages 0.67 GAA and had 9 SO during the season. You will see her on the US Olympic team and at the World Championships. Her name is Aerin Frankel. She is 5'5" but plays like 6'0". The Badgers hit the post about 4 times but Frankel is amazing at positioning herself.
I second your feelings about Frankel, with amplification. She is a generational women's hockey player, her name worthy of being spoken in the same breath as Marie-Philip Poulin & Hilary Knight. Not sure what her near-future plans are in hockey, but IMO they have to be split between the 2022 Olympics (presuming the U.S. stays committed to sending the athletes to Beijing) & returning for a second senior year @ Northeastern (with 5th year options added by the NCAA due to COVID interruptions). In either case (both don't seem workable together), or maybe even the NWHL (presuming that league survives) , she will continue to be fun to watch.

Meanwhile, there are some extraordinarily talented young women on the Badgers' championship team as well: senior forward Daryl Watts (she of the 2021 Frozen Four Final OT game winner); junior forward Sophie Shirley; another junior forward Britta Curl; and freshman forward Makenna Webster (from my hometown :5: ) to name a few. Coach Johnson has a very strong collection of underclasswomen who could compete for another national championship (or two), and he & his senior ladies have some big decisions ahead - if not already made - about returning for another year. Women's hockey should see a peak year in 2021-22 with the 5th year options open, making it an even more entertaining game to follow than it already is. :highclap:

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Badgers lost to Bemidji State 6-3 in Bridgeport, CN to end their season in the opening round of the NCAA hockey tournament.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The Badgers lost to Bemidji State 6-3 in Bridgeport, CN to end their season in the opening round of the NCAA hockey tournament.

Could Granato have overlooked Bemidji any more than that? My gut sank when I saw Rowe wasn't starting. Bemidji played a solid game and I give massive credit to Tom Serratore for that. Wisconsin played like a collection of individuals and it showed on the scoreboard.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't follow NCAA hockey that much, but try to watch the Regionals and Frozen 4. My take on the game was the number of unforced turnovers Wisconsin made that ended up in their net. Bemidji played an almost perfect game and kept Wisconsin on their heels for most of the game. But, fully agree with your observation on the individual play of Wisconsin.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Would anyone know what happened to Owen Lindmark this season?
I see his last game played was on November 27th, 2021.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Would anyone know what happened to Owen Lindmark this season?
I see his last game played was on November 27th, 2021.
This Dec. 10th Badgers weekend preview from Madison.com provides just a hint ...
... The Badgers likely will be without two forwards for the series. Owen Lindmark and Ryder Donovan have been held out of practices with injuries. ...

Then from the same source, a 29 January UW game summary mentioned him under scratches ... "F Owen Lindmark (injured, out for season)."

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Reactions: Bag Of Beans

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Could Granato have overlooked Bemidji any more than that? My gut sank when I saw Rowe wasn't starting. Bemidji played a solid game and I give massive credit to Tom Serratore for that. Wisconsin played like a collection of individuals and it showed on the scoreboard.
Now you don't have to worry about Tony Granato. He is fired!

He had a 45% winning percentage over his 7 years as the HC.

Reactions: RabidBadger

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

If he could translate that into a batting average in MLB, he'd have one helluva second career. :thumbu:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I wonder if they'll be able to land Hastings from Mankato. I always wanted to see what he could do at a program with more resources. He did interview for the Michigan State job so it seems he's willing to jump ship.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->