*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Kerby has played well, hope he keeps it up. Not just playing to pad his stats.
The attendance, several factors. But the Spits treatment or lack of, for sth didn't help the situation. Several league decisions haven't exactly created a positive buzz for one of its bigger markets either.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
When you have 2,000 fewer people at a game, this happen :laugh:

I will be somewhere up in the third level. My buddy said "3-0-something", haha. We're only a few rows from the bottom, though. Just look for the Spitfire golf shirt and Tigers cap. If the Spits play like they did last night, who knows what could happen. If not, might be a long night.

Ill have to keep an eye out. You heading down early for dinner or game time?
Ill venture up from the comfy confines of 113 to 314 and 3-0 something.

It seems from this board and others ive talked to, Kuchemy has been OK. Good to hear.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
So You Think a 6th Round Pick for an O/A D-Man is..

For those who think WR spent too much for an O/A D-Man...Everything is relative.
Guelph just got the Petes O/A D-man Trojanovic for a 3rd rounder. Certainly not the same quality but..

Overage defenseman Steven Trojanovic has been traded to the @storm_city for a 2015 3rd round draft pick.

http://gopetesgo.com/

Which starts one wondering what a certain Spit D-Man might fetch?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
For those who think WR spent too much for an O/A D-Man...Everything is relative.
Guelph just got the Petes O/A D-man Trojanovic for a 3rd rounder. Certainly not the same quality but..

Overage defenseman Steven Trojanovic has been traded to the @storm_city for a 2015 3rd round draft pick.

http://gopetesgo.com/

Which starts one wondering what a certain Spit D-Man might fetch?

Over payment in my view for Trojanovic,Rychel did very well in my opinion trading a 6th
There was nochance Rychel was in any talks for Trojanovic,his father drove Rychel nuts when he was here the 1st time
Its a good spot not sure how he will do,ave player in my view,weak def,above ave off
not mobile enough for me
Keep in mind any spit dman traded is not an O/A price might be quite different depending on who is moved

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Over payment in my view for Trojanovic,Rychel did very well in my opinion trading a 6th
There was nochance Rychel was in any talks for Trojanovic,his father drove Rychel nuts when he was here the 1st time
Its a good spot not sure how he will do,ave player in my view,weak def,above ave off
not mobile enough for me
Keep in mind any spit dman traded is not an O/A price might be quite different depending on who is moved

Guelph looks very solid on the blueline I wouldn't be surprised if they used Locke in another deal to grab another forward. Depending on what happens with Maatta, Zadorov and the injury to McCarron. Guelph could really push for 1st in that division. Mike Kelly has always been a good GM though he did good work in Windsor the right GM at the wrong time though.

coachfluffy

Feb 26, 2013
That's hilarious. Pretty sure Rychel has been driving Sun County coaches nuts for years!

Pretty much true where ever Kerby has played since Peewee. Even back then, rules were made to be broken.

In WR's yearbook under favourite saying: "What do you I can't"

Spitsfan67*

So how long before Dekort gets pulled? Befor/After first intermission....I hope I eat my words and he has a stellar game but this is the wrong move by the coaching staff, should have started Dekort Sunday and started Kuchmey in this big game.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
So how long before Dekort gets pulled? Befor/After first intermission....I hope I eat my words and he has a stellar game but this is the wrong move by the coaching staff, should have started Dekort Sunday and started Kuchmey in this big game.

Hopefully Dekort can play a good game and gets some swagger going. a couple good games for a goalie goes a long way with there attitude

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Hopefully Dekort can play a good game and gets some swagger going. a couple good games for a goalie goes a long way with there attitude

Thought he played well enough to get the start on Sunday. I though the team strayed from their checking style in the 3rd and it cost them, but I don't think anyone expected them to stay as close for as long as they did.
If they can pick up 2 points against NFalls it will be a successful weekend....

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Thought he played well enough to get the start on Sunday. I though the team strayed from their checking style in the 3rd and it cost them, but I don't think anyone expected them to stay as close for as long as they did.
If they can pick up 2 points against NFalls it will be a successful weekend....

DeKort played great tonight! Didn't really let in a goal he had any chance on, (and stopped a few he didn't have a chance on!) The Spits so far are playing up to their ability, they absolutely OWNED the first ten minute and the second period, seems like they may have cleared up some of those dressing room issues, I think the way they played tonight and the blow out yesterday, you're looking a pretty good weekend regardless

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Haven't seen much of young winger Cam Hughes..think he might be optioned to La Salle for the season?

Thought it might've been a tad ambitious to bring him to Windsor after one so/so year in a poor conference of an average Junior B league.

jughead42*

Surprised to see Dekort get the start but not really, they're going to give him all sorts of opportunity to outplay Kuchmey. Props to him for volleying the ball right back at Kuchmey. I wouldn't say goaltending is an issue, but learning to close out games against good opponents is something they need to work on. I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't hold on to the lead, but they did put up a good fight against allegedly the 4th best team in junior hockey.

I don't care about the attendance, fan experience, parking, donut flavors or huggability of mascot, the reason I haven't spent money on going to games yet has to do with the quality of the product. I'm a former season ticket holder, but I'm not going to shell out all that dough unless my the team has a good shot of being a contender. I'll watch the rebuild on cable and cough up some shekels when the situation is right. I wanted to see the team perform and get a sense of whether the voodoo hex on the team had run it's course or if the hits were going to keep coming. Losing Sieloff didn't help, but after a few games it's apparent this team isn't horrible so now I'll start looking for games that fit my schedule and hit them up. That's likely the case with a lot of people. Seriously, nobody gives a damn about all that other stuff because it's all superfluous to the hockey. If you care so much about fan experience, spend your money at a rub-n-tug and listen to the game on the radio. We all complained about the parking at some point since the team moved but we all showed up anyway because the team was good. Don't let these stupid marketing buzzwords like "fan experience" convince you to buy what they are selling, it's all fluff.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Good post Jug. They played well to certainly get a point but they have to learn how to grind and at least salvage a point. This game reminded me of their collapse in Barrie last year only difference is that they actually got a point in Barrie. Biggest issue with this team is lack depth, you rarely saw the Cobham-Hughes-Foss line and I understand that but in tight games you just can't rely on 2.5 lines. Now they need to grab a W on Sunday.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Few comments on tonight:

1. This was absolutely a story of three games. Windsor played right with them in the first period, showing they weren't going to be pushed around. DeKort played very well and, while the team seemed to forget how to skate at times, they didn't mess around for the most part. In the second period, they took it to London and showed how this game can go if they put their minds to it. Very impressive effort all around and they made London look silly at times. The third period showed why London is that damn good. I don't know whether Windsor figured they had this one in the bag, or London woke up and said "enough is enough" and found another gear. Regardless, it was all London and I had a feeling this would happen.

2. DeKort was a beauty. He answered his critics and played like we know he can. Don't let the scoreboard fool you, DeKort was on his game.

3. I would hate to see an all-cylinders London team with Domi, Maatta, and Zhardov in the line-up.

4. Very, very tame game, but my guess is without Bowen and Leroux dressed for their respective clubs, plus the close score, were a big reason.

To the Knights77 and PP...we were in 303 Row G. PP, I went to come find you, but you left your seat at intermission. Knights77, the halls were insane so by the time I couldn't find PP, intermission was already done. We're coming back in November, though, so will make sure to come say hello.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good post Jug. They played well to certainly get a point but they have to learn how to grind and at least salvage a point. This game reminded me of their collapse in Barrie last year only difference is that they actually got a point in Barrie. Biggest issue with this team is lack depth, you rarely saw the Cobham-Hughes-Foss line and I understand that but in tight games you just can't rely on 2.5 lines. Now they need to grab a W on Sunday.

Agree with most of what u have written,certainly deserved at least a pt last nite,seemed to run out of gas in the 3rd,down 2 D with Murphy and Brown injured,playing back to back against a rested squad,the win was there for the taking
Know what u are saying about 2.5 lines,thats where a guy like Marchese being out really hurts
The kid line actually had a couple decent shifts,though we did not see them much after the 2nd period
In games like these not sure I like Bilcke on the 3rd line with Moore and Gifto,would sooner put Yazkov there,and put Foss with Rychel and HoSang,with Bilcke sliding down to the 4th line
Speaking of Rychel after 2 really good games,too bad he was average,could have used his offense,thought Yazkov showed some nice skills,Ebert played his best game of the season getting 2 assists and a big hit against Basso in the 2nd period
Certainly cant pin the loss on DeKort,thought he responded pretty well
In my mind team have only played 2 bad periods all season,the 1st period in game 1 vs Oshawa,and the third period last nite,I can live with that
Just have to learn how to close out a win despite some obstacles and or fatigue

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Haven't seen much of young winger Cam Hughes..think he might be optioned to La Salle for the season?

Thought it might've been a tad ambitious to bring him to Windsor after one so/so year in a poor conference of an average Junior B league.

Actually because team is only carrying 12 forwards,looks like he will be here awhile,Verbeek is out for another month,and Marchese 5 months,he is on a 4th line
of kids with Foss and Cobham,the trio played well vs Plymouth,did ok last nite vs London
when they played
As a 17 yr old playing the 4th line,just has to bide his time and make his minutes count when he gets them,to be its all a process in his development

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Prospect update

16 yr old Cen Aaron Luchuk had 3 pts last nite giving him 11 in 9 games with La Salle
6G5A,and 16 yr old D man Andrew Burns scored a goal last nite giving him 7 pts ,2G5A as La Salle defeated St Marys 5-4 in a shootout
Other prospect stats -16 yr od Brendan Johnston is 2-1 in 3 games with Chatham with a 3.01 goals against ave,which is almost 1.5 better then starter Darian Eckblad
As well 17 yr old Dman Anthony Kotsovos continues to play well in London Jr B laden with vets he has 2G 2A-10 Pim in 8 games playing on a veteran laden lineup,actually he dos not turn 17 till late Dec
Another 17 yr pld D Ryker Killins is playing well with Stratford Jr B,his stats line reads
9GP-2G-7A-28 Pims,it unlikely we will see the 5'9" player as it appears he his headed to Ferris State in the future

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I was under the assumption that so far Ho Sang looked and sounded like Kadri just from reading here. Last night he was possibly the best player on the ice. 2 slick passes on the one goal (4th I think). Was all over the ice in a good way and didn't seem selfish at all.

Dekort was decent. If he can work on controlling the rebounds he'll be better for it.

I think Ebert being the last pick in the draft was the best thing for the kid.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Legend biggest news last night was Locke returning to Saginaw. He's their game breaker and I would expect Lodge to take off as well now. If the Spits show the ability to close out games I could see them moving up in the standings but I think Saginaw has an edge in net and the job Keefe has done in the Soo is impressive.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Legend biggest news last night was Locke returning to Saginaw. He's their game breaker and I would expect Lodge to take off as well now. If the Spits show the ability to close out games I could see them moving up in the standings but I think Saginaw has an edge in net and the job Keefe has done in the Soo is impressive.

Locke was returned after scoring last night in the AHL???

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Spits could be 5 & 0 with some goaltending. Dekort has played so poor that with an average performance he looks good. He doesn't have the ability to shut the door when the pressure is turned up.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits could be 5 & 0 with some goaltending. Dekort has played so poor that with an average performance he looks good. He doesn't have the ability to shut the door when the pressure is turned up.

IMHO the better goal tenders have the ability to get to a zone/place in a number of games where they become unbeatable no matter how poorly their team is playing allowing the team to get points they didn't earn. Pavelka did it a few times in his stay with the Spits.

DeKort and Kuchmey need a lot more games under their belt before we can hope to occasionally see those type of games from them. In the meanwhile a tight defensive system from the Spits will give the team a chance to win some games and make the goal tenders look better. If the games evolve into pond hockey we are lost....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad