- Stefan Ridderwall (G)
- Dennis Persson (D)
- Niclas Andersén (D)
- Patrik Berglund (F)
- Tony Lagerström (F)
- Robin Figren (F)
- Mikael Backlund (F) (-89)
- Joakim Andersson (F) (-89)

Berglund is really doing well right now. He deked and stickhandled through the Canadian players as if they were 12-year old kids, in an exhibition game that I attended last Sunday. Still, few Swedish players will likely be drafted out of this team. Looking forward to the tournament, but I do not expect any major Swedish success ..despite the strong goaltending.

X-SHARKIE

Predatore said:
For Sweden
- Jhonas Enroth (G)
- Stefan Ridderwall (G)
- Dennis Persson (D)
- Niclas Andersén (D)
- Patrik Berglund (F)
- Tony Lagerström (F)
- Robin Figren (F)
- Mikael Backlund (F) (-89)
- Joakim Andersson (F) (-89)

Berglund is really doing well right now. He deked and stickhandled through the Canadian players as if they were 12-year old kids, in an exhibition game that I attended last Sunday. Still, few Swedish players will likely be drafted out of this team. Looking forward to the tournament, but I do not expect any major Swedish success ..despite the strong goaltending.

Berglund, Enroth, Lagerstrom sound like the top Swedes beside Backstrom.

I like Backstrom more then Bergfors although I love both.. Is Backlund comparable to either?

X-SHARKIE

montreal said:
I hope TSN shows Sweden I want to see Backlund to see what the hype is about.

Same and I really want to see if Vasyunov is as skilled as they say. I like what I hear about Zharkov too.

I've heard Nyholm is a poor mans Jokinen, that got me excited. Helenuis could shoot up the rankings with a good showing.

I hope USA brings Michael Forney, I see he has played with the U-18's a few times now. David Fischer & Carl Sneep are two other high schoolers worthy.

I would love to see Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia, USA.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
X-SHARKIE said:
Same and I really want to see if Vasyunov is as skilled as they say. I like what I hear about Zharkov too.

I've heard Nyholm is a poor mans Jokinen, that got me excited. Helenuis could shoot up the rankings with a good showing.

I hope USA brings Michael Forney, I see he has played with the U-18's a few times now. David Fischer & Carl Sneep are two other high schoolers worthy.

I thought I heard somewhere that Forney is hurt and wouldn't be able to go?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:

Forney went to Sweden with the team but was injured in practice and won't play. Fischer wasn't brought along and Sneep is too old ('87 born).

Mueller and Okposo are both in the playoffs so they couldn't come. Sanguinetti too. It's too bad the North American teams are always losing so many high end players for this tournament.

They've added four '89 born players from the U17 team which means they'll have five underagers on the team. Forwards James O'Brien, James van Riemsdyk, Ryan Hayes, Colin Wilson and defenseman Cade Fairchild. Looks to me like they're trying to prepare for next years tournament.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
X-SHARKIE said:

I know TSN is showing the Canada-Finland game and then the quaterfinals.

Anyone know Finlands roster and who to look out for.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Russian Roster:
Varlamov
Galimov

Zubov
Alexandrov
Doronin
Zhukov
Churlyaev
Tulupov
Sobachkin

Ryabev
Anisimov
Vasyunov
Glovatsky
Mamin
Popov
Zharkov
Kablukov
Zuchuypenko
Golubtsov
Bodrov
Bashkirov
Glukhov

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Finlands Roster:
Goalkeepers:
29 Atte Engren, Lukko
30 Riku Helenius, Ilves

Defensemens:
2 Markus Himanka, Kärpät
3 Eetu Heikkinen, Ässät
4 Miko Malkamäki, Tappara
5 Jarkko Näppilä, Ilves
6 Mikko Kukkonen, KalPa
9 Joonas Lehtivuori, Ilves
25 Joonas Jalvanti, Pelicans

Forwards:
10 Nico Aaltonen, HIFK
11 Juuso Puustinen, KalPa
12 Ilkka Heikkilä, JYP
13 Joonas Kemppainen, Ässät
14 Jan-Mikael Juutilainen, Jokerit
16 Robert Nyholm, HIFK
18 Jani Savolainen, KalPa
19 Kaarlo Jormakka, JYP
21 Niclas Lucenius, Tappara
22 Juhani Jasu, Lukko
24 Juuso Antonen, Ilves
26 Max Wärn, HIFK
27 Jan-Mikael Järvinen, Ilves

Nyholm and Helenius are 2 guys to watch for Finland

A Good Flying Bird*

montreal said:
I know TSN is showing the Canada-Finland game and then the quaterfinals.

Anyone know Finlands roster and who to look out for.

I like Robert Nyholm, but he plays better on North American ice.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Predatore said:
I'd say Backlund is a mix of both.

Backlund reminds me of Peter Forsberg more than any other comparison. Great playmaker, sees the ice well, skates fast and strong, not scared of the physical edge of the game, plays two way, exciting to watch and will grind it out. Backlund is the best of all the swedes so far (I mean when comparing the 2005 and 2006 draft to him). I say he will be up there with Esposito, Petrecki, and Gillies for next year, and who knows Backlund could shock and even go 1st overall, I really think he is that good.

Hellström

Sep 22, 2002
From the german U 18 team defender Thorsten Ankert and forwards Maximilian Brandl, Marcel Müller and Elia Oswald (already 6ft4 big) stand out the most for me.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Bakos said:
From the german U 18 team defender Thorsten Ankert and forwards Maximilian Brandl, Marcel Müller and Elia Oswald (already 6ft4 big) stand out the most for me.

The new Cave In album is so much better than the last few turds that they released.

Still doesn't compare to Until Your Heart Stops, though :(

X-SHARKIE

cagney said:
Forney went to Sweden with the team but was injured in practice and won't play. Fischer wasn't brought along and Sneep is too old ('87 born).

Mueller and Okposo are both in the playoffs so they couldn't come. Sanguinetti too. It's too bad the North American teams are always losing so many high end players for this tournament.

They've added four '89 born players from the U17 team which means they'll have five underagers on the team. Forwards James O'Brien, James van Riemsdyk, Ryan Hayes, Colin Wilson and defenseman Cade Fairchild. Looks to me like they're trying to prepare for next years tournament.

Shucks, that sucks. I saw O'Brien up close he's dang good, Reimsdyk at the U-17's was a stud.

Still I would've enjoyed seeing Forney.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
edd1e said:
Whats up with Lucenius, i guess he aint in the first line, but still.

There's not been an underaged Finn in that tournament since Ruutu who *should* register a point in just two games. Save Laakso, but he's a defenseman and doesn't play offense the same way.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Berglund, Enroth, Lagerstrom sound like the top Swedes beside Backstrom.

I like Backstrom more then Bergfors although I love both.. Is Backlund comparable to either?
I attended SWE-FIN and Backlund was among the best players on the ice. Great technique and skating. Had some really nice moves a and passes. Like Bäckström - he is a smart twoway-center and looks more promising than "Bäckis" and Bergfors did the same age.

But Patrik Berglund... damn his stock must be increasing as we speak. The kid has some serious breakaways.. and he is so hard to stop with the puck (6'4"). Really creative and dangerous around the net, hard slapper etc.. He should be a firstday-pick for sure.

Finland might have won the game - with a great teameffort - playing like a team should. Sweden has more individual skill though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad