OT: Official TV & Movie Spoiler/Speculation/Rumor Thread-See Mod Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Is Blu-Ray still a thing?

Heh. Streaming only is great these days (GG Netflix). Even though I've always been pro physical media and a self avowed video/moviephile I've never had problem with those who are the opposite opinion...they've always been around going back to the DVD days. For me it started being that quest to have a movie like experience at home..building that first 5.1 speaker system and the general eternal quest for the best image quality. With my first big TV purchase being a top of the line Sony XBR pre-HD tvs..to spending over 5k on the best tv on the planet in the pioneer kuro elite. My movie going dropped to about 1 or 2 a year after picking up the kuro that image quality was that good (Imax/Liemax have imo improved the movie experience in recent years).

Actually I think the pro-physical media/videophiles have a lot to thank to the TV manufactures mercilessly jumping on 4k development after the 3d BS bombed. Also terrestrial cable and their monopolies and lack of improvement in their picture resolution sort of a byproduct help as well. I mean I laugh that they are still on 720p/1080i. My cable providers PQ is terrible (parents have fios and it much better).

4k resolutions is natural improvement but the 4k+HDR is great jump up.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I get your point, but the genre is extremely successful and popular and I don’t agree it’s the same thing over and over. For the most part they’re quality movies/shows across the board with some exceptions (F4, Inhumans, Luke Cage was average to me, I’m sure I’m forgetting something). With so much good subject matter, this will continue another 10 years I think. It’s when the current stars are aged and unable to continue where things will get interesting. I was reading Marvel has like 20 scripts lined up for that next wave and I’d wager we’ll see some break from the traditional superhero at some point. Punisher is a great beginning to that IMO. Check out the New Mutants trailer....looks like a horror movie not a superhero story.

If you didn’t grow up loving comics and sci-fi, I can understand why it’s overkill to you, but they’re trying to craft a pretty elaborate universe. Try other things. As you mention some GREAAAAAT foreign stuff out there in both TV and movies.
Actually I did grow up as a comic book and sci fi freak. Sci fi is my favorite. I do like a lot of the comic book movies but I quit watching them. My favorites were probably the dmen and wolverine movies. I am a total sci fi fanatic though. Favorite movies ever are Alien and Aliens.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I say again, get MoviePass.
Actually I did grow up as a comic book and sci fi freak. Sci fi is my favorite. I do like a lot of the comic book movies but I quit watching them. My favorites were probably the dmen and wolverine movies. I am a total sci fi fanatic though. Favorite movies ever are Alien and Aliens.

Then I’m not sure how you don’t like quality movies and shows coming out in that genre. There are PLENTY of options that aren’t superhero....

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Which quality movies are you talking about? There are quite a few sci TV series out there. Most have weak storylines. I don't mind the expanse and I really like Westworld a lot but 2 years between seasons 1 and 2 is a long wait. I'm a fan of Game of Thrones but it isn't as good as it once was. The wife and I also watched the Walking Dead from start in the past couple months. Started off OK but the last couple seasons the storyline has gotten pretty weak.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you’re taking issue with GOTS, not much else to talk about lol. I won’t waste a lot of time debating much else if you think GOTS isn’t as good as it once was. IMO, it’s gotten better and better, this from someone who read the books long before TV.

Expanse is very good, so is Magicians. Preacher, Punisher, Fortitude (not sci-fi), Defenders I really enjoyed, Jessica Jones, American Gods, Westworld are some favorites that come to mind. Walking Dead I’ve enjoyed, but this is the weakest season IMO...ready for it to end already. Enjoyed Mindhunters also.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I don't mind the disney marvel movies but they are always held back (like even back when I still collected comics in the early 90s as a I gravitated away from main stream comics to more 'R' rated type indie comics) as just PG rated which just gets old. Until Deadpool and then Logan showed that there is a niche for R rated super hero movies. From a consumption standpoint basically the Marvel stuff I won't see it in the theater and will just pick up the bluray.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Which quality movies are you talking about? There are quite a few sci TV series out there. Most have weak storylines. I don't mind the expanse and I really like Westworld a lot but 2 years between seasons 1 and 2 is a long wait. I'm a fan of Game of Thrones but it isn't as good as it once was. The wife and I also watched the Walking Dead from start in the past couple months. Started off OK but the last couple seasons the storyline has gotten pretty weak.

TV scifi is a tough genre especially when its space opera subgenre which of course is probably my most favorite. Basically what BSG and Farscape that had decent runs the past 15 years? The expanse is sort of C+/B- for me. I've read most of the books before hand. Loved the world building but the actual story stuff is fair. The show has had some great FX sequences that were impressive. Also appreciate the effort creating that belter lingo. I actually would find myself letting Expanse episodes pile up compared to Killjoys which I find is a pretty fun.

I'm still DVR'ing TWD but I basically decided to just wait for the bluray release. I found after rewatching seasons that it does help the weaker last couple of seasons plus not dealing with that midseason break. I'm trying to do that for most veteran series that I like to collect this year.

As far as the top tier of new show season 1's for 2017 imho: Westworld, American Gods, Sinner, Mindhunter, The Handmaid's Tale, Legion.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind the disney marvel movies but they are always held back (like even back when I still collected comics in the early 90s as a I gravitated away from main stream comics to more 'R' rated type indie comics) as just PG rated which just gets old. Until Deadpool and then Logan showed that there is a niche for R rated super hero movies. From a consumption standpoint basically the Marvel stuff I won't see it in the theater and will just pick up the bluray.

Absolutely agree....IMO that’s why Deadpool did so well, it was a hard R. It’s why Punisher is so refreshing and Logan. Legion is solid. I liked Strain but it was one season too long. Started strong, ran out of steam, but finished ok I guess

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Killjoys season 1 I liked, haven’t rolled around to season 2 yet. Agree to disagree on Expanse. You read the books so you’ll almost always be disappointed going that route of consumption.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Killjoys season 1 I liked, haven’t rolled around to season 2 yet. Agree to disagree on Expanse. You read the books so you’ll almost always be disappointed going that route of consumption.

But I actually like the show better than books, heh.

I view movies/tv shows based on books as completely different categories so can fully embrace both. I don't give a crap about the whole 'being faithful to the source material' book fundamentalist noise from the purists. If its good its good.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
American Gods lost both show runners......scares me. Said they wanted $10 mil budget per episode, STARZ balked.

Just saw that and always disappointing when an awesome showrunner leaves. Just finished a bluray watch through of that a couple of weeks ago. Even the starting credit montage is awesome I can't even skip it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But I actually like the show better than books, heh.

I view movies/tv shows based on books as completely different categories so can fully embrace both. I don't give a crap about the whole 'being faithful to the source material' book fundamentalist noise from the purists. If its good its good.

I thought I remembered you criticizing the story changes a while back, maybe not. Expanse isn’t perfect, but it’s one of the best pure sci fi space shows in a while. I’ll happily continue watching.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I thought I remembered you criticizing the story changes a while back, maybe not. Expanse isn’t perfect, but it’s one of the best pure sci fi space shows in a while. I’ll happily continue watching.

Yeah I recall Expanse discussion previously but it has been a while. It does get above the bar for me picking up the bluray. I have S2 sitting in my coffee table queue, heh.

Oh and CCF keep an eye on this upcoming netflix scfi series that I legit excited (rarely happens these days due my square girlfriend oversturation). I've mentioned it before but looks like some grainy images are starting to drop. Entertaining trilogy of books especially on the futurist tech front and the first book is more dark scifi detective noir.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-could-be-the-first-look-at-altered-carbon-the-mos-1820766217

Altered Carbon is about a future where one’s consciousness can be transferred from body to body, making immortality less of a pipe dream and more of a life choice. Society divides between people who can afford to live forever and those who cannot... essentially creating modern gods who keep themselves above and apart from everyone else. The story follows a soldier (played by Joel Kinnaman) who is “resleeved,” or transferred, into a police officer’s body in order to investigate a conspiracy. The series, written and produced by Avatar co-writer Laeta Kalogridis, is said to be Netflix’s most expensive genre show to date, at $6 to $7 million per episode. Altered Carbon comes out sometime in 2018.
[Reddit]

It is a little generalization there as not just the rich can be re-sleaved. Not sure if it will be apart of the shows cannon but the main character is basically an ex spec ops/spy who have the entire personality re-constructed to be able to handle resleaving.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Heh. Streaming only is great these days (GG Netflix). Even though I've always been pro physical media and a self avowed video/moviephile I've never had problem with those who are the opposite opinion...they've always been around going back to the DVD days. For me it started being that quest to have a movie like experience at home..building that first 5.1 speaker system and the general eternal quest for the best image quality. With my first big TV purchase being a top of the line Sony XBR pre-HD tvs..to spending over 5k on the best tv on the planet in the pioneer kuro elite. My movie going dropped to about 1 or 2 a year after picking up the kuro that image quality was that good (Imax/Liemax have imo improved the movie experience in recent years).

Actually I think the pro-physical media/videophiles have a lot to thank to the TV manufactures mercilessly jumping on 4k development after the 3d BS bombed. Also terrestrial cable and their monopolies and lack of improvement in their picture resolution sort of a byproduct help as well. I mean I laugh that they are still on 720p/1080i. My cable providers PQ is terrible (parents have fios and it much better).

4k resolutions is natural improvement but the 4k+HDR is great jump up.

I've always been a fan of physical media as well, but over the past few years I've pretty much gone digital only. Collecting CDs, DVDs, video games, etc like I used to is just not efficient or practical for my current lifestyle.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Hey the millennials have it pretty good when it comes to the TV/movie streaming front especially since likely don't have the earning power even if they wanted to go down and get some significant hardware, etc.. Basically this we are in the golden age of tv including content access.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Yeah I recall Expanse discussion previously but it has been a while. It does get above the bar for me picking up the bluray. I have S2 sitting in my coffee table queue, heh.

Oh and CCF keep an eye on this upcoming netflix scfi series that I legit excited (rarely happens these days due my square girlfriend oversturation). I've mentioned it before but looks like some grainy images are starting to drop. Entertaining trilogy of books especially on the futurist tech front and the first book is more dark scifi detective noir.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-could-be-the-first-look-at-altered-carbon-the-mos-1820766217

It is a little generalization there as not just the rich can be re-sleaved. Not sure if it will be apart of the shows cannon but the main character is basically an ex spec ops/spy who have the entire personality re-constructed to be able to handle resleaving.

Looks like the first teaser type trailer has arrived:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This new Starz scifi series called Counterpart looks interesting.

I have too many TV shows on the go right now. Old and current. Can't keep track of them all. Some I have fallen behind on and have to catch up. And then my wife nags me to start watching an TV show with her on Netflix and we end up on a binge. She nagged me to watch Hannibal but I kept saying I wasn't interested. I finally decided to watch it and found it was very good. Pretty twisted show.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Counterpart is instantly at the top of my queue.

If I was beholden to my wife for my viewing habits, I’d miss so much and waste so much time on other series...

She’s actually binging her first series....Riverdale. The premise cracks me up, but too many other things to watch for me. Just finished Hand of God season 2 on Prime. Very solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad