Official Team Canada U18 Ivan Hlinka

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
No problem. I did know that. I wasn't explicit about it but that's why I mentioned he was a late birthday; implying that he would not be draft eligible this year.

Ahhh makes sense.

Getting to watch Monahan as a 67's fan last year got me pumped. He is in my opinion the best prospect we've had since Mark Bell (when he looked like a sure fire top 6 power forward) and It wouldn't shock me if he played his way into the top 10 next year, heck, even top 5 wouldn't shock me at all. I love his game.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
My choice for captaincy would be C-Laughton, A- Kokkoek, Hudon, Reinhart

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Pretty pumped to see HC select AA to the team. Kids got wheel plus his hands go at the same speed.

I've read reports he had a solid camp... can anyone add anything to it??

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Ahhh makes sense.

Getting to watch Monahan as a 67's fan last year got me pumped. He is in my opinion the best prospect we've had since Mark Bell (when he looked like a sure fire top 6 power forward) and It wouldn't shock me if he played his way into the top 10 next year, heck, even top 5 wouldn't shock me at all. I love his game.

Ya, I've seen you make this assertion before, and I'm not sure it's fair. I could maybe see the argument that Monahan was the most impressive 16 year old we've had in a long time (although Bell wasn't much at 16), but I think you're overrating Monahan a bit because he was a bit of a surprise.

If you compare him with Couture, I don't think you can really say Monahan is either a better prospect in general, or was much better at 16, than Couture. Now Couture was always very hyped, but the guy entered his draft year as a candidate for first overall. His developed stalled for a couple of years after that, but still, I'm not sure Monahan is any better a prospect now than Couture was at the same age.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Ya, I've seen you make this assertion before, and I'm not sure it's fair. I could maybe see the argument that Monahan was the most impressive 16 year old we've had in a long time (although Bell wasn't much at 16), but I think you're overrating Monahan a bit because he was a bit of a surprise.

If you compare him with Couture, I don't think you can really say Monahan is either a better prospect in general, or was much better at 16, than Couture. Now Couture was always very hyped, but the guy entered his draft year as a candidate for first overall. His developed stalled for a couple of years after that, but still, I'm not sure Monahan is any better a prospect now than Couture was at the same age.

Fair enough. I always respect and enjoy your break down of prospects.

Their's just something about Monahan that screams future star to me. I was/am a huge Couture fan but I think Monahan might have more pazzaz as he continues to develop.

But hey, whats the point about making predictions when a kid is this young if their's no risk you could look like an idiot in a few years :)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I would prefer to see Canada drop out of this tournament and have a tournament of 4 teams. One from each of the 3 Canadian major leagues and another team picked from all 3 leagues. Use a draft type system to pick the teams. Each team plays 3 games. The top 3 teams in a round robin playoff format. Something along those lines.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Fair enough. I always respect and enjoy your break down of prospects.

Their's just something about Monahan that screams future star to me. I was/am a huge Couture fan but I think Monahan might have more pazzaz as he continues to develop.

But hey, whats the point about making predictions when a kid is this young if their's no risk you could look like an idiot in a few years :)

I like Monahan as well, and am really excited to see how he develops the next two years, but I think part of it is the element of surprise. Monahan didn't arrive last year with anywhere near the hype of a 16-year old Couture, or even Toffoli or Cuma for that matter. I mean Monahan wasn't even in the conversation as an OHL first rounder for most of his draft year, so expectations were fairly low when he arrived in Ottawa. The way he came on over the year I think got people pretty excited, and rightly so, about his development trajectory, which looked straight up.

Anyways, it's not really an important conversation, Couture, Toffoli vs. Monahan, the key is that Monahan is obviously a far better prospect than was thought 18 months ago, which makes him really intriguing player. The book was always out on Couture - high end hockey sense and vision, and needs work on his skating and consistency.

Monahan's a bit of a different player. I was blown away with how strong he was down low and how heads-up he was below the circles for a player that age. He was better in the zone than off the rush, so I'm interested to see how his game evolves in terms of carrying the puck and being a central playmaker. The package is intriguing, because he's bigger than Couture or Toffoli and has a more well-rounded package than Toffoli at least, but I'm not convinced he's got first line center potential at the NHL level (at least not any moreso than anybody was with Couture). I'm not sure Monahan's game is dynamic enough, or that his vision and hockey sense will make him that kind of playmaker.

In any event, hopefully he lights it up at this tournament. It was a real boost to Toffoli's confidence a few years ago when he played on a line with Seguin at the U17s (although some of the momentum was lost when Byrne tried him at center).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad