OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The NHL would be smart to get as many networks involved as possible, at least if it's their intention to grow the game. No other network besides NBC has any incentive to spend time on the NHL. They gain absolutely nothing from it. Split it up between NBC, ESPN, and FOX, and get more games on TV in front of a national audience.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
298B17E0-791C-4E16-8714-F87F20A6BAA9.png
The NHL would be smart to get as many networks involved as possible, at least if it's their intention to grow the game. No other network besides NBC has any incentive to spend time on the NHL. They gain absolutely nothing from it. Split it up between NBC, ESPN, and FOX, and get more games on TV in front of a national audience.

Competition can only help.

I thought NBC mostly crushed the coverage on return to play.

However, I wonder how many people still use ESPN as their main source of sports news.

The fact that they don’t have NHL listed as one of the main tabs at the top of their website is a joke and feels spiteful due to the fact that they don’t own the broadcast rights.

Reactions: TD Charlie

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
“the Schanley cup playofffsch!!!”

Maybe they can hire Dave O'Brien

"Welcome back to the Ssstanley cup playoffssss on NBC, itsss a firssst round matchup between the Sssst. Louisss Bluessss and the Dallasss Sssstarssss. Faceoff...Sssssundqvist back to Ssssteen, over to Sssanford. It'sss interccccccepted by Sssseguin who flips it to Ssssekera. Sssstolen by Ssschen, who takes a sssshottttt, and a sssssssave by Bissshop!"

Reactions: CrownofThornton

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I like Doc - it's clear he's slowed down over the past 2-3 seasons, but I actually like someone who has more than one verb for "shoot" and "block". Hopefully sometime in the 2021-22 season (I'm assuming 2020-21 will remain difficult) they bring him back during a game for an interview and perhaps call a period, so that he can do a true farewell in front of fans. Having Doc at home was 100% necessary, but it's still not the same. That's one thing that COVID's robbed people of - closure.

I really liked Forslund's calls in the bubble. He's a bit of a 180 from Doc - when Doc has the call, you can't help but to notice him. He's the jalapeno salsa of announcing. Forslund's more like ranch - background noise, but informative. I'd love for him to be the new #1 PxP on NBC, and he's free from what I've surmised.

Boucher is such an improvement over Pierre it's not even funny. I always thought I was a bit of a Pierre defender, and I actually didn't mind him too much until the playoffs in the bubble. Maybe he just had no clue how to share the mic with folks in the studio, or vice versa, but there was something off that made me chant the famed refrain "Shut up, Pierre" several times. And there was something odd about Pierre's speech - it seemed more pressured or slurred - just a little off and not a nice, smooth "broadcaster" voice. (Then again, Doc doesn't exactly have that, either.)

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Love Doc, and I'll be sad to see him go.

He definitely lost a step in the last few years, but his excitement for the game was palpable.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Maybe they can hire Dave O'Brien

"Welcome back to the Ssstanley cup playoffssss on NBC, itsss a firssst round matchup between the Sssst. Louisss Bluessss and the Dallasss Sssstarssss. Faceoff...Sssssundqvist back to Ssssteen, over to Sssanford. It'sss interccccccepted by Sssseguin who flips it to Ssssekera. Sssstolen by Ssschen, who takes a sssshottttt, and a sssssssave by Bissshop!"
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
View attachment 373499

Competition can only help.

I thought NBC mostly crushed the coverage on return to play.

However, I wonder how many people still use ESPN as their main source of sports news.

The fact that they don’t have NHL listed as one of the main tabs at the top of their website is a joke and feels spiteful due to the fact that they don’t own the broadcast rights.

I always hated ESPN, even when they carried games. NHL was always last on the list. Plus, I hate Chris Berman.

NBC has done a very good job with its coverage, in my opinion. Hope they continue the contract. Minus Milbury, I gather.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I like Doc - it's clear he's slowed down over the past 2-3 seasons, but I actually like someone who has more than one verb for "shoot" and "block". Hopefully sometime in the 2021-22 season (I'm assuming 2020-21 will remain difficult) they bring him back during a game for an interview and perhaps call a period, so that he can do a true farewell in front of fans. Having Doc at home was 100% necessary, but it's still not the same. That's one thing that COVID's robbed people of - closure.

I really liked Forslund's calls in the bubble. He's a bit of a 180 from Doc - when Doc has the call, you can't help but to notice him. He's the jalapeno salsa of announcing. Forslund's more like ranch - background noise, but informative. I'd love for him to be the new #1 PxP on NBC, and he's free from what I've surmised.

Boucher is such an improvement over Pierre it's not even funny. I always thought I was a bit of a Pierre defender, and I actually didn't mind him too much until the playoffs in the bubble. Maybe he just had no clue how to share the mic with folks in the studio, or vice versa, but there was something off that made me chant the famed refrain "Shut up, Pierre" several times. And there was something odd about Pierre's speech - it seemed more pressured or slurred - just a little off and not a nice, smooth "broadcaster" voice. (Then again, Doc doesn't exactly have that, either.)

Boucher was excellent. I've never liked Pierre and still don't -- way too much hyperbole when he says the player in front of him is the "best" at something in the NHL. Boucher was understated and insightful and was strong in analyzing goalie play which I generally find lacking in live broadcasts.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TRANSCRIPT - MIKE 'DOC' EMRICK RETIREMENT MEDIA CONFERENCE CALL - NBC Sports Pressbox

One other note and then I will stop. Joyce and I have always cared about animals of all kinds, and this date got crowded into the hockey calendar because of the launch date tomorrow determined six months ago of a book that Kevin Allen and I — Kevin, who was for 34 years the hockey writer for USA Today, we began a book about a year and a half or so ago, and it is titled “Off Mike,” and it launches tomorrow. Triumph is publishing it. It is autobiographical, a lot of hockey stories, but it’s on sale beginning tomorrow wherever books are sold, and 100 percent of whatever I receive goes to the hands-on care of animals, dogs and cats and volunteers, gas cards for them, veterinarians that you don’t know and probably won’t know, and I will thank persons who buy a copy.

You know, in this pandemic there are occasionally surgeries that might need to be done that can’t be done for free, and there are people that because they are out of work don’t get a chance maybe have the option of paying for those. This is an area where Joyce and I can occasionally step in.

This is not an organized fund that we have created other than it is just cash where we see needs and are occasionally able to meet them, and that makes us feel good, and it does good for animals of all kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->