OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
FWIW, Beetle mentioned it had nothing to do with talent or value and strictly about whose contracts are up and how much money can be saved. Its a corporate cost cut from above. Locally, it doesn't make sense to cut Bruins/Celtics staff right before the playoffs.

I only tell you that Comcast corporate in Philly ordered the cuts and local managers had little input.

The cuts at NBC Sports Chicago were appalling.

Reactions: DKH

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ran an errand today and was listening to The Sports Hub for a bit. Felger and Mazz was on, but Mazz was on vacation, so it was Felger and Beetle. Was oddly interesting hearing the show without Tony yelling into the mic like he's never used it before. Was also nice not hearing over and over "you're sooooooo right Mike"...lol

The takeaway? Tony Mazz is the worst part of that show by a lot.

Reactions: shoulders7

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Ran an errand today and was listening to The Sports Hub for a bit. Felger and Mazz was on, but Mazz was on vacation, so it was Felger and Beetle. Was oddly interesting hearing the show without Tony yelling into the mic like he's never used it before. Was also nice not hearing over and over "you're sooooooo right Mike"...lol

The takeaway? Tony Mazz is the worst part of that show by a lot.

Mazz on the baseball reporters all by himself is great. Very knowledgeable about the game. Good solo host. Mazz with Felger turns into a deferential yes man who doesn't contribute as much as Felger, mostly because of Mike's domineering personality. I kind of feel like they're better apart than together.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Mazz on the baseball reporters all by himself is great. Very knowledgeable about the game. Good solo host. Mazz with Felger turns into a deferential yes man who doesn't contribute as much as Felger, mostly because of Mike's domineering personality. I kind of feel like they're better apart than together.

Yeah, I don't mind Tony as much when he's talking baseball. When he talks about hockey or pretty much any other sport though, I can't stand him. Definitely better by himself on the baseball reporters like you said. The real big issue I have with Mazz is that he actually loathes the local teams and the fans that follow them. Felger mocks them and does his contrarian act to annoy and piss them off, but that's just so they'll call in and yell at him and make the show enjoyable. Mazz seemingly really despises them and it comes through loud and clear to me.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I havent commuted to/from work in 5 months now....I find I dont miss sports radio one bit. Nothing.
In fairness, there is no sports. It’s the same subject matter all the time. Constant Patriots talk when there are three other teams in town. Three that are actually playing. I’m not a Patriots fan so I guess it’s boring to me and not you guys. But there’s nothing going on in football to me. I can listen to my teams radio and I still don’t. I’ll be honest, my interest in sports is really low. I don’t care for this seasons hockey or basketball. It’s just a quick money grab to me. It’s not a real season.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Bruins and Celtics in playoffs. Even the Sox are in their regular season

BZ Sports Final leads off with Patriots crap. Is it wrong of me to want them to tank this year? Never been a football guy anyway.

So a media station shouldn't pander to it's audience and cover the team that the most listeners care about?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-9-8_17-38-42.png

upload_2020-9-8_17-39-45.png

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I read today that Entercom is firing pretty much all local mid-day talent across the country and replacing them with syndicated national shows. That sucks and is going to kill a lot of careers. I wonder if the ripple effect will effect WEEI's budget somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad