OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The irony in all this is the person who blocked the new Fenway Park in 2000, Stephen Mindich, is now deceased.

John Harrington needed the Boston Phoenix holdings on Brookline Ave to make his Fenway Park II dream a reality and Mindich would not sell and the Yawkey Trust then decided to bail and JWH and friends wound up with the team.

What team is the most popular today is age driven - if you are older than 5o it is most likely the Red Sox but the Patriots now own the 18-49 demographic.

The time WILL come when the Patriots collapse and then Foxborough becomes a liability again. The Krafts have never had to deal with less than capacity crowds and I don't think Jonathan Kraft will be able to deal with a losing team. One thing we have learned in almost 50 years, if the Pats are winning, fans will tolerate Foxborough - if they are a bad team fans will not put up with it.

What nobody saw back in 2002 was how John Henry looked at the Kenmore/Fenway area and saw real estate gold and look at where it is now.

THIRTY FOUR years ago :wally:

Whatever happened to Dana Hersey? Always liked him, he seemed to have a good sense of humor and not to be too full of himself. Great voice as well

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The irony in all this is the person who blocked the new Fenway Park in 2000, Stephen Mindich, is now deceased.

John Harrington needed the Boston Phoenix holdings on Brookline Ave to make his Fenway Park II dream a reality and Mindich would not sell and the Yawkey Trust then decided to bail and JWH and friends wound up with the team.

What team is the most popular today is age driven - if you are older than 5o it is most likely the Red Sox but the Patriots now own the 18-49 demographic.

The time WILL come when the Patriots collapse and then Foxborough becomes a liability again. The Krafts have never had to deal with less than capacity crowds and I don't think Jonathan Kraft will be able to deal with a losing team. One thing we have learned in almost 50 years, if the Pats are winning, fans will tolerate Foxborough - if they are a bad team fans will not put up with it.

What nobody saw back in 2002 was how John Henry looked at the Kenmore/Fenway area and saw real estate gold and look at where it is now.

I see your points and they are good ones.

However I fail to see how they relate to this poorly written article that has one stupid premise after another using quotes from people this writer uses in other articles that have no clue on the fan base.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Gillette stadium is not really in the top tier of stadiums anymore the more fields like Atlanta and LA are built the more dated the 90/Early 2000s NFL stadiums become

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tell me again why anyone should read this paper or believe anything they state.

A main quote from the article.

"“Patriots fans don’t care anymore,” opined Massachusetts native and Esquire political writer Charles P. Pierce". I am sure this cat has the pulse of Patriot nation.

Did the Globe send anyone to the rally on Sunday which had a record breaking crowd of 35,000?

But what should we expect by a Red Sox owned newspaper knowing that the Patriots are more popular.

I reread the article and I now understand where the author was coming from.

When the Pats made the Super Bowl in 1986 and again in 1997 there was huge excitement in the city. There were vendors everywhere and many pop up stores appeared selling Super Bowl trinkets. Not so today.

I could have easily worked the Super Bowl - No Thanks - been there done that so instead I will be in Washington for the Bruins game.

There are cities that have NEVER been part of the Super Bowl - a prime example is Cleveland and Detroit has hosted 2 games but the Lions have never been in it. The Pats have been in 5 of the last 8 Super Bowls and 4 of the last 5 - of course, we are blase.

Reactions: Alicat

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

When the Pats made the Super Bowl in 1986 and again in 1997 there was huge excitement in the city. There were vendors everywhere and many pop up stores appeared selling Super Bowl trinkets. Not so today.

I could have easily worked the Super Bowl - No Thanks - been there done that so instead I will be in Washington for the Bruins game.

There are cities that have NEVER been part of the Super Bowl - a prime example is Cleveland and Detroit has hosted 2 games but the Lions have never been in it. The Pats have been in 5 of the last 8 Super Bowls and 4 of the last 5 - of course, we are blase.

To me, nothing will ever touch the level of excitement I had in ‘96 and ‘01.

But those were also simpler times when sports were the most important thing in my life.

I heard Tom Curran on the pregame show week 16 claiming that, once the Patriots current window closes, the fan base will dwindle.

Personally, for the first time since the ‘04 lockout, I’m more into the Patriots than I am the Bruins.

The Patriots and Red Sox have set the bar even higher. One championship is no longer enough.

That makes it hard for me to say “Oh well, at least we have the 2011 Cup.”.

Reactions: Alicat and Fenway

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

I suggest uou read the Reimer article I posted.

Regardless of the point they are coming from it is a poorly written biast article

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Tell me again why anyone should read this paper or believe anything they state.

A main quote from the article.

"“Patriots fans don’t care anymore,” opined Massachusetts native and Esquire political writer Charles P. Pierce". I am sure this cat has the pulse of Patriot nation.

Did the Globe send anyone to the rally on Sunday which had a record breaking crowd of 35,000?

But what should we expect by a Red Sox owned newspaper knowing that the Patriots are more popular.

I wouldn't. They hate the Pats along with with many other lemmings in the Boston media. Jealous wannabe ESPN hacks. I thinks its abnormal for a local news outlet to have this type of vitriol towards a local team. You would never see that up here

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I suggest uou read the Reimer article I posted.

Regardless of the point they are coming from it is a poorly written biast article

@Donnie Shulzhoffer

It breaks my heart to see how badly the Globe has fallen.

I lost ALL respect for John Henry after he looked staffers at the Worcester Telegram in the eye and said he would NEVER sell to out of town owners.

AR-311279822.jpg

His wife is feared at both 4 YAWKEY (Jersey) and 53 State.

The reality is Boston media today is a joke.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
@Donnie Shulzhoffer

I lost ALL respect for John Henry after he looked staffers at the Worcester Telegram in the eye and said he would NEVER sell to out of town owners.

AR-311279822.jpg

Totally agree.

On a side note. For an owner that got chills about a street name that he had changed he sure is surrounded in this photo by a lot of white folk.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
To me, nothing will ever touch the level of excitement I had in ‘96 and ‘01.

But those were also simpler times when sports were the most important thing in my life.

I heard Tom Curran on the pregame show week 16 claiming that, once the Patriots current window closes, the fan base will dwindle.

Personally, for the first time since the ‘04 lockout, I’m more into the Patriots than I am the Bruins.

The Patriots and Red Sox have set the bar even higher. One championship is no longer enough.

That makes it hard for me to say “Oh well, at least we have the 2011 Cup.”.

I'm 60 so before this 17 year run of football insanity,I endured 30+ years of losing. In the 60s and 70s and 80s many of today's "Pats fans" were Cowboy's,Giants,Raiders and Steelers fans. I'm positive that the Pats will lose fans,as did the Bruins after Orr left,the Celtics after Bird's departure and the Sox after 2004 and 2007. None of those franchises ever recovered the entire interest of the fans they had during those pinnacle eras.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Totally agree.

On a side note. For an owner that got chills about a street name that he had changed he sure is surrounded in this photo by a lot of white folk.

Was Yawkey a racist? :dunno: BUT it is imperative that we look at post-WWII Boston and the city was heavily segregated.

The Braves attendance started to collapse in 1949 when the team integrated and their best player was

1953+Topps+Sam+Jethroe.jpg

Fans stopped going and attendance totally crated in 1952. Vin Scully has said that Braves Field had no excitement when Brooklyn came to play, it was a tomb.

So now you have to ask the bigger question - Was Tom Yawkey concerned that integration would hurt the Red Sox attendance as well? Given post-WWII Boston that is a legitimate question.

Now it is a given that Yawkey has some avowed racists in his inner circle, notably Mike Higgins and Joe Cronin but nobody can deny that Boston in that era was very racist.

John Henry has no compression of this

When the team DID integrate attendance did fall

1962crowd.jpg

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I'm 60 so before this 17 year run of football insanity,I endured 30+ years of losing. In the 60s and 70s and 80s many of today's "Pats fans" were Cowboy's,Giants,Raiders and Steelers fans. I'm positive that the Pats will lose fans,as did the Bruins after Orr left,the Celtics after Bird's departure and the Sox after 2004 and 2007. None of those franchises ever recovered the entire interest of the fans they had during those pinnacle eras.
Detroit went from hockey town to empty seats on tv in a few years after they started losing the Bruins have at least stayed consistent in attendance after tradeing away future all stars for little in return

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
@Donnie Shulzhoffer

AR-311279822.jpg

In fairness to Henry, the T&G is a f***ing garbage paper. Literally garbage. Even funnier is that they force you to subscribe to multiple papers a week just to get the Sunday one delivered, and half the time they never deliver it. Garbage.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: Fenian24

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Try to find the most trivial thing that you think might tick people off and procede to tear the person down to rubble.

Can you imagine what social media would have been like in the late '70s in Boston? Jack Tatum, Don Zimmer, Buck Dent, Too Many Men...... :help:

Our social media back then was 'The Sports Huddle'

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It's a great idea for a podcast. Get a ensemble of people and perform sports radio in the 70's.

“Ahhhh excuse me callah. As a street kid from Dochesta that became a successful businessman I’m more than qualified to tell you about how to run a franchise. And I know a thing or two about Chinese food”

“Come to Yoken’s restaurant for a whale of a meal. Thar she blows!”

For those that have no clue what that means:

Missing Places: Yoken’s Restaurant in Portsmouth NH (1947-2004)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's a great idea for a podcast. Get a ensemble of people and perform sports radio in the 70's.

I wish audio tapes existed of Ordway doing Red Sox recap in 1978 or Cliff and Claff on the old WITS. I do a lot of volunteer work in trying to find video from that era but radio is almost impossible to find.

Trust me Felger and Mazz are tame compared to the venom that Cliff and Claff generated daily. Don Zimmer wrote in his biography that there were only 2 people who would never be allowed in his home - Bill Lee and Glenn Ordway. The Huddle never mentioned Zimmer by name instead, they called him Chiang Kai-shek.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad