OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't know what this means. Are you saying that Bob Beers and Judd Sirott say things to aggravate the listeners of Bruins games? Or is your commentary about the station in general and really about Felger, Mazz, and the rest of them?

I ask because one is related to the call of a Bruins game, and saying they're agitators wildly wrong IMO, and the other is comparing apples to oranges. I also think that Beers is tremendous.

Either way, Jack Edwards is ****ing terrible. No other statements needed. Nothing another radio personality does makes Jack's act any better. It's awful. All on it's own. Just lousy.

Oh, no - Bruins crew is great.

The day/night groups. Felger et al. Mazz is annoying but at least he seems to have some knowledge.

Highatop308

Only took 4 months!
Jun 23, 2010
308, row 15. seat 28
I was always a pro Edwards guy until a few years ago. It seems like hes gotten so much worse and way more annoying/obnoxious since Goucher was completely out of the picture and no longer a threat to potentially take his job, in kind of the same fashion that O'Brien took Orsillo's if you will. I get being a homer but his over the top mocking of the opposing team and players is childish and his whining when heaven forbid things don't go the Bruins way, is obnoxious and he comes off as very petulant.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Oh, no - Bruins crew is great.

The day/night groups. Felger et al. Mazz is annoying but at least he seems to have some knowledge.

Okay, but what does you not liking that radio station have to do with how bad Jack Edwards is on television calling the Bruins games? I don't think those are related in any way, unless I'm missing something?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I was always a pro Edwards guy until a few years ago. It seems like hes gotten so much worse and way more annoying/obnoxious since Goucher was completely out of the picture and no longer a threat to potentially take his job, in kind of the same fashion that O'Brien took Orsillo's if you will. I get being a homer but his over the top mocking of the opposing team and players is childish and his whining when heaven forbid things don't go the Bruins way, is obnoxious and he comes off as very petulant.

Amen to this. The guy is flat out embarrassing now and most of his scripted takes are cringe worthy.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Okay, but what does you not liking that radio station have to do with how bad Jack Edwards is on television calling the Bruins games? I don't think those are related in any way, unless I'm missing something?

If I had to choose between the contrarian or the homer I'd pick the homer. My personal choice.

Felger hangs up the phone on callers he disagrees with while (in my opinion) probably not even agreeing with his front.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If I had to choose between the contrarian or the homer I'd pick the homer. My personal choice.

Felger hangs up the phone on callers he disagrees with while (in my opinion) probably not even agreeing with his front.

Sure, but you can easily choose to not listen to Felger and all you miss is his act. If I choose to not listen to Jack, it means I miss the Bruins games or I have to mute it or do something funky to hear the radio call/out of town call instead of his. So that's why I don't understand your analogy.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nice to see Sarah Davis is now fulltime at TSN

upload_2019-3-11_0-11-32.png

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
man The Athletic's Bruins coverage leaves a ton to be desired

all they do is write feature stories, which are nice, but complete fluff. never any breakdowns of games like the other teams seem to get. I find myself reading breakdowns of other teams games more than I do any Bruins stuff they have. I just read a nice long breakdown of the Leafs/Bolts game with player grades, game scores for every player, etc. thats the good stuff

I wish we got that. guys who are magicians with numbers and can put it into graphs and charts that make even idiots like me understand. instead we just get a breakdown of life in the press box for Steven Kampfer

that stuff is nice too, but if you have two Bruins writers in Fluto and Joey Mac then just fluff is pretty inexcusable. that just doesn't seem to be their area of expertise. in the growing world of analytics I don't see how you can employ two beat writers neither of whom have any interest in numbers. the other Boston writers there do game breakdowns and feature stuff, of course the Bruins get the shaft.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

all they do is write feature stories, which are nice, but complete fluff. never any breakdowns of games like the other teams seem to get. I find myself reading breakdowns of other teams games more than I do any Bruins stuff they have. I just read a nice long breakdown of the Leafs/Bolts game with player grades, game scores for every player, etc. thats the good stuff

I wish we got that. guys who are magicians with numbers and can put it into graphs and charts that make even idiots like me understand. instead we just get a breakdown of life in the press box for Steven Kampfer

that stuff is nice too, but if you have two Bruins writers in Fluto and Joey Mac then just fluff is pretty inexcusable. that just doesn't seem to be their area of expertise. in the growing world of analytics I don't see how you can employ two beat writers neither of whom have any interest in numbers. the other Boston writers there do game breakdowns and feature stuff, of course the Bruins get the shaft.
It's not surprising to me in thr least actually.

They picked two super vanilla guys.

I wish sites like that would have a few lesser known, or "not part of the biz" type people in addition to the major names.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

A non click bait site will do that

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
CBS and NBC cut a deal to trade Superbowls in 2021 and 2022

NBC wanted to have the Superbowl to lead in to the 2022 Winter Olympics, so they let CBS take their regular turn a year early.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Just seeing this now but I have to agree. At first, I didn't like his over the top act (Matt Cooke, Sirhan Sirhan etc.). Then he grew on me. But he is losing me again. Particularly this year, when he went on that ridiculous ten minute rant (in the middle of the game with the freakin' clock running) about the Canes allowing Dougie Hamilton wear Pie McKenzie's number. I've got news for you Jack, at least half of your audience only has a vague at best idea of who Pie McKenzie was! Completely useless, over the top drivel. Cringeworthy. And the complaining over the smallest call that doesn't go the Bruins way. Just stop. Unprofessional. But that's Jack.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
It's not surprising to me in thr least actually.

They picked two super vanilla guys.

I wish sites like that would have a few lesser known, or "not part of the biz" type people in addition to the major names.

I've been underwhelmed by Fluto tbh. He seems to pick a fair share of abstract subjects. Like I'm just not that interested in the guy who repairs the broken sticks on the bench. All due respect, I know there is a lot more to his job, but I don't want to read about it. I don't mind Joey Mac as much, but he is most definitely a super vanilla guy who doesn't appear to like providing much criticism towards the B's. Don't make me wrong, I'll take him over that tag team of Mr. 'Trade Tuukka article every time he lets in a softy' and Mr. 'Bergeron should be Captain because Chara was mean to me once...Slainte!'

Reactions: neelynugs

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Listening to a Felger and Mazzless Felger and Mazz earlier was boring beyond belief. I know there's a lot of F&M haters here, but they're worth listening to.

Reactions: smithformeragent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->