OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The 2 cases I remember of local announcers who could not stand each other were Joe Castiglione and Glenn Geffner and Dave Shea with Derek Sanderson.

Jerry Trupiano was fired to make room for Geffner who was liked by Lucchino. Geffner made John Sterling sound like Vin Scully and Joe who likes everybody was ready to quit and Dave O'Brien came in to replace Geffner.

It was bad.

38Cliches.com: Search results for geffner

But Shea and Sanderson were toxic. I remember one game when Shea was complaining about a Bruins player and Derek snapped 'You can't even skate fatso, shut up'.

This terrible, but: Dish on Derek & Dave. Do. ;-\

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Heads up:

March brings changes to NBCSN;

PFT extends to the 9-11 AM block and Sky Sports News US debuts in the 11 AM slot currently held by the Dan Patrick Show

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
My goodness, Beetle & Zo are horrible. Outside of football they really don't bring much to the table.

Their baseball takes are fine too. They struggle with hockey for sure though.

To me it's one guy in Beetle who simply doesn't care enough about the sport, and another in Zo who I think genuinely likes it, but just doesn't understand it enough to form a decent opinion of anything.

I really wish 98.5 would have more time dedicated to hockey outside of Saturday mornings.

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Their baseball takes are fine too. They struggle with hockey for sure though.

To me it's one guy in Beetle who simply doesn't care enough about the sport, and another in Zo who I think genuinely likes it, but just doesn't understand it enough to form a decent opinion of anything.

I really wish 98.5 would have more time dedicated to hockey outside of Saturday mornings.

Everyone of the hosts on both stations struggle with hockey. I mean f***, even Dale was awful when discussing it. That guy suggested 3 years ago that it was time to move on from Marchand because he was a cancer to the team.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don’t understand why anyone listens to sports radio.

It’s all just a ploy to work people up and get inarticulate drunk idiots to call in during the middle of the day. Strangely, that sells.

And I know this is a somewhat lame and cliche opinion. But it has forever been really difficult for me to listen to extremely overweight individuals criticize professional athletes for poor performance. I know that none of us are at the pro athlete level, so you could technically argue that all of us are dumb for criticizing. But, it just takes it a few steps further when it’s someone of that size.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don’t understand why anyone listens to sports radio.

It’s all just a ploy to work people up and get inarticulate drunk idiots to call in during the middle of the day. Strangely, that sells.

And I know this is a somewhat lame and cliche opinion. But it has forever been really difficult for me to listen to extremely overweight individuals criticize professional athletes for poor performance. I know that none of us are at the pro athlete level, so you could technically argue that all of us are dumb for criticizing. But, it just takes it a few steps further when it’s someone of that size.

It's just entertainment.. no different from watching a sitcom, reality tv or whatever else people watch on tv.

It's white noise in the background for me. I'm at a desk 20-40% of the time, depending on my day and it give me something to listen to while I work.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It's just entertainment.. no different from watching a sitcom, reality tv or whatever else people watch on tv.

It's white noise in the background for me. I'm at a desk 20-40% of the time, depending on my day and it give me something to listen to while I work.

I get it. Not something that should be taken very seriously.

When nearly every opinion is over the top in one direction or another, it just bugs me.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth

This is spot on. I think it was last week that Zo was on vacation/out and it was just Beetle and a fill-in. I KNEW it was going to be nothing but 4 hours of Celtics drama. They even had Jaffe call in and I think it was maybe a ten minute segment for him. Zo loves it, he just doesn't know much. His presence forces Bertrand to talk Bruins.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Some things never change on local sports talk.

If the Celtics are good and the Bruins are bad, of course they talk Celtics.
If the Celtics and Bruins are good, they talk Celtics.
If the Celtics are a train wreck and the Bruins are rolling???? Celtics of course. Tune in Saturday or Sunday morning for your Bruins fix depending on what station. Not allowed at any other time.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Some things never change on local sports talk.

If the Celtics are good and the Bruins are bad, of course they talk Celtics.
If the Celtics and Bruins are good, they talk Celtics.
If the Celtics are a train wreck and the Bruins are rolling???? Celtics of course. Tune in Saturday or Sunday morning for your Bruins fix depending on what station. Not allowed at any other time.

Gotta be 100% honest though. I'd rather not listen to people who don't know anything about hockey talk about it.

Now, if you aren't a fan of the other teams in Boston, I can see the problem. But I like all 4 teams, so it's fine with me if they don't talk hockey very often.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This is spot on. I think it was last week that Zo was on vacation/out and it was just Beetle and a fill-in. I KNEW it was going to be nothing but 4 hours of Celtics drama. They even had Jaffe call in and I think it was maybe a ten minute segment for him. Zo loves it, he just doesn't know much. His presence forces Bertrand to talk Bruins.
Zo had to tell Beetle to shut up and take someone's Bruins call a little while ago.

I hope the Bruins burn the station again with another commercial like last year.

The station was the go to place for Bruins talk in 2011 and in 2013 until Aaron Hernandez decided to murder someone during the Finals in 2013.

I'm so over the damn Celtics talk but I listen in the office because it's not really offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->