OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma about 9-10 years ago now. Very aggressive, but because of that, the Chemo “cocktail” is also very effective treating it. I had roughly 5 months of chemo and a couple months of radiation to get rid of it. The treatment was not a lot of fun, but better than the other option.

I cannot stand Tanguay as a broadcaster, but obviously wish him a speedy recovery.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not sure if anyone was listening to WEEI yesterday afternoon? It was a lot of B’s talk from Ordway and Merloni (two noted hockey experts), so you know how that went.

The crux of most of the conversation centered around the fact that they both thought it was a bad thing for the league with all of these upsets. They contend that they would rather see the stars and the better teams (like Tampa) continue to play. I feel the opposite way, like the upsets, and would say that the majority of the lower seeds that won, also have their own star power.

A lot of people were calling in and saying they liked the upsets, but were ridiculed by the hosts as not being real hockey fans (which was extremely ironic).

Thoughts on this?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Not sure if anyone was listening to WEEI yesterday afternoon? It was a lot of B’s talk from Ordway and Merloni (two noted hockey experts), so you know how that went.

The crux of most of the conversation centered around the fact that they both thought it was a bad thing for the league with all of these upsets. They contend that they would rather see the stars and the better teams (like Tampa) continue to play. I feel the opposite way, like the upsets, and would say that the majority of the lower seeds that won, also have their own star power.

A lot of people were calling in and saying they liked the upsets, but were ridiculed by the hosts as not being real hockey fans (which was extremely ironic).

Thoughts on this?

Ordway is a moron basketball fan, so it is typical he would like the script to be written before the playoffs start.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Thoughts on this?

Upsets are why we watch. If the favored team won every time, life would be boring.

I understand how, from a business perspective, star-power teams being knocked out could be seen as problematic but personally I think it's what sets the NHL apart from the other 3 major sports. None of the other leagues have achieved parity like the NHL has, and I think that's a good thing.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Thoughts on this?

If the favorites always win, why even play the games?

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10

Thoughts on this?

It could also signal a change of the guard. MacKinnon is making a statement as the best in the game (along with McDavid) and Colorado is emerging because of that. That's not that much of an upset to me.

I think the Blues are also the best in the West (despite slow start) and they are still in it. Vegas and Washington are still in it and they were the best last year.

I consider Dallas over Nashville to be a minor upset but Nashville was not really that great all year if anyone was paying attention.

So far, it's really only Tampa that truly fumbled...and Columbus is no slouch.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Thoughts on this?

Just more of a reason why I hope WEEI crashes and burns and is playing rock music in the near future.

But obviously I will echo what's already been said in here....If the favorite always won, it'd be pointless. The potential upset is why the playoffs are great; NHL especially. That said, I hope that our team doesn't follow suit tonight. We're one win away from having home ice through the playoffs, and while there are some great teams remaining, the path to the Cup for Boston looks to be a lot more realistic with TBL out.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ordway is a moron basketball fan, so it is typical he would like the script to be written before the playoffs start.

That’s the strange part, he said he doesn’t like the NBA model, where there are rarely upsets.

I think they were ok with some upsets, but thought the lower seed winning or ahead in every WC matchup, plus Tampa and the Pens losing was too much (they didn’t seem to realize the Isles were the higher seed).

The other thing they didn’t realize or were ignoring is that many of the lower seeds, like the Jackets and Avs, have as much star power as the higher seeds.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Thoughts on this?

Goliath winning never interest me, unless the Bruins are Goliath.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Upsets are why we watch. If the favored team won every time, life would be boring.

I understand how, from a business perspective, star-power teams being knocked out could be seen as problematic but personally I think it's what sets the NHL apart from the other 3 major sports. None of the other leagues have achieved parity like the NHL has, and I think that's a good thing.

This is one of my favorite things about the NHL, but what I find fascinating is that of the 4 major sports leagues, the NHL actually has the fewest number of champions over the past 10 years. Just five teams have won the Stanley Cup, compared to 6 in the NBA, 7 in the MLB, and 8 in the NFL. I think where the NHL differentiates itself, as @EverettMike said in his post, is the first 2 rounds. With the NHL, you really have no idea who's going to win, while in the NFL, MLB, and especially the NBA, there are a number of series/games where the favorite is almost guaranteed to advance. Hell, in the NBA, you know at the beginning of the regular season who's going to be in the Finals.

Reactions: EverettMike

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

MLB is far and away the parity leader

Only recently the MLB playoffs expanded to include 10 teams total. 2000-2012 only 8 of 30 made it, 2012-2019 10 of 30 make it

In the last 10 years:

- 27 of the 30 teams have made the playoffs at least once.
- 14 teams have made it to the World Series
- 8 different teams have won the World Series

and since the year 2000:

- 12 different teams have won a World Series
- 18 different teams have made it to a World Series
- all 30 teams have made the playoffs at least once
- only 6 teams have an active playoff drought greater than 5 seasons
- 25 of the 30 teams have won their division

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
MLB is far and away the parity leader

Only recently the MLB playoffs expanded to include 10 teams total. 2000-2012 only 8 of 30 made it, 2012-2019 10 of 30 make it

In the last 10 years:

- 27 of the 30 teams have made the playoffs at least once.
- 14 teams have made it to the World Series
- 8 different teams have won the World Series

and since the year 2000:

- 12 different teams have won a World Series
- 18 different teams have made it to a World Series
- all 30 teams have made the playoffs at least once
- only 6 teams have an active playoff drought greater than 5 seasons
- 25 of the 30 teams have won their division

Interesting.

Perhaps parity wasn't the best choice of words.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Dale Arnold not understanding who the Bruins would be playing next if they won the series vs Toronto says a lot to me about his depth of knowledge on the sport and team he's paid to cover.
I haven't been listening to ole Mr IndiddlyDoodily but was this recent? I would think even he knew that. All you have to to do is look at any bracket on any sports site.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dale Arnold not understanding who the Bruins would be playing next if they won the series vs Toronto says a lot to me about his depth of knowledge on the sport and team he's paid to cover.
I haven't been listening to ole Mr IndiddlyDoodily but was this recent? I would think even he knew that. All you have to to do is look at any bracket on any sports site.

It wasn't from his show. It was him talking to the morning show before the crossover of their show to his, after game 6. He kept saying the next opponent was TBD because they reseed after the first round. They kept playing the drop this morning making fun of Dale for not knowing the format when everyone knew it was Columbus.

Reactions: Fenway

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It wasn't from his show. It was him talking to the morning show before the crossover of their show to his, after game 6. He kept saying the next opponent was TBD because they reseed after the first round. They kept playing the drop this morning making fun of Dale for not knowing the format when everyone knew it was Columbus.
That is not good.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Channel 5 anchors discover the Bruins exist

upload_2019-4-25_3-24-41.png

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Flat out shocking given he's paid by the team to be a freaking analyst between periods. lol
I am starting to wonder though if it was cut up audio and just playing around. Kind of like Gerry this morning joking saying Columbus is an original six team and people falling for it and calling in to correct him.

I am not sure though since I have not heard the Dale Arnold stuff.

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad