OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They blazed a trail.

Someone else came along and did it better.

Rest In Peace.

Take this for what it is worth. A long time friend who is a Boston native currently does country at another Entercom station and they have been asked if they would consider moving back to the city.

It could be WAAF is the station that would flip but WEEI is in a total freefall right now. A station can still carry baseball but play music at other times.

I don't know how WEEI can fix afternoon drive at this point....I have heard that John Dennis has been approached to return and afternoons appeal to him because he can sleep in.

Reactions: sarge88

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Take this for what it is worth. A long time friend who is a Boston native currently does country at another Entercom station and they have been asked if they would consider moving back to the city.

It could be WAAF is the station that would flip but WEEI is in a total freefall right now. A station can still carry baseball but play music at other times.

I don't know how WEEI can fix afternoon drive at this point....I have heard that John Dennis has been approached to return and afternoons appeal to him because he can sleep in.

If they're turning their lonely eyes toward John frickin Dennis, this ship is already sunk.

They should blow the whole thing up, Monday through Sunday, maybe with the exception of Lou and Christian. The whole rest of the crew, the fill in guys, the Saturday garbage, all dead weight. Give it one more go with a fresh cast/fresh vision and if it dies, it dies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Everything about EEI feels dated and stale. It feels like they’ve brought back retreads from the early 2000s. I like Ordway, but to move on from him the way they did and then bring him back. Then to shift him around time slots. How often can you bounce Dale from midday to drive and back again?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm still laughing at the idea of them trying to solve their problems by bringing back John Dennis

They deserve to become a shitty country station

Reactions: dabid

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Everything about EEI feels dated and stale. It feels like they’ve brought back retreads from the early 2000s. I like Ordway, but to move on from him the way they did and then bring him back. Then to shift him around time slots. How often can you bounce Dale from midday to drive and back again?

Holley was really the key, it seems.

I don’t know what they’re doing in the a.m. I truly have yet to meet anyone that enjoys listening to Reimer or Tomase.

They brought Wiggins in, seemingly hoping to go after some of the audience he may have had from his last gig.

But the alternating third host thing sucks, TBH.

I think if they put Wiggins in there as the permanent 3rd guy for 6 months they may have something.

He’s edgy enough and funny enough that it’s worth a shot.

At the very least, there will be far less people like me, who simply don’t listen 2-3 days a week because of Reimer and Tomase.

Reactions: BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Do people even still listen to WAAF to begin with?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

WEEI has looked the past to fix a lot of their problems. Entercom has access to most of the former cbs radio talent why not pull someone underused from another market instead

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Hahaha.

Getting killed in the most important demographic? Turn to John Dennis! That'll do it.

Clown show.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I think OMF is solid, M&C need a good third host (I think it should be Wiggy), and Dale is too "yay team" at times and Keefe hasn't been as good as I thought he'd be.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NESN will use the three-man booth on 30 Red Sox games this season | Boston.com

NESN on Wednesday announced plans to use a three-man booth for 30 Red Sox games this season, with Dennis Eckersley and Jerry Remy joining Dave O’Brien.

The first game for the trio will be the home opener April 9 against Toronto.

Remy said in September that he would no longer do road games after his latest recurrence of lung cancer but has since decided that he will be able to travel for some games.

Either Eckersley or Remy — or Remy and Eckersley — will do the bulk of the games with O’Brien. NESN will use former Sox players Carlos Pena and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to fill in when they are not available.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Both stations got a Super Bowl boost but WBZ-FM is now dominant.

The old WEEI AM is ignored running ESPN all day

upload_2019-2-20_17-41-16.png

upload_2019-2-20_17-42-29.png

upload_2019-2-20_17-43-22.png

upload_2019-2-20_17-44-35.png

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As an aside from sports....Matt Siegel's run at KISS 108, is pretty amazing. Like him or not, you've got to tip your cap to the guy. He was huge when I was in HS and probably a little before and today my HS aged kids are still listening to him.

Matt is just enormously popular with women of all ages.

Boston radio history only a handful have lasted as long as he has - Carl DeSuze, Jess Cain, Dave Maynard, Charles Laquidara, Loren Owens and the late Dale Dorman come to mind. However, nobody comes close to be #1 in the market for as long as he has. He hates the music he plays, remember he used to work at WBCN and then worked overnights at Channel 5 when in the pre-cable days they were the only station on. He turned down numerous offers to go syndicated as he knows he has to be local to be effective.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Matt is just enormously popular with women of all ages.

Boston radio history only a handful have lasted as long as he has - Carl DeSuze, Jess Cain, Dave Maynard, Charles Laquidara, Loren Owens and the late Dale Dorman come to mind. However, nobody comes close to be #1 in the market for as long as he has. He hates the music he plays, remember he used to work at WBCN and then worked overnights at Channel 5 when in the pre-cable days they were the only station on. He turned down numerous offers to go syndicated as he knows he has to be local to be effective.

Forgot to mention in my original post that my 70 year old mother listens to him every day.

Reactions: Fenway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad