OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
According to sources with knowledge of the process, those expected to be in the mix are Will Flemming, who currently calls Pawtucket Red Sox games, and Mario Impemba, a longtime Tigers broadcaster who was fired — along with analyst Rod Allen —in September after an altercation in the booth. Red Sox general manager Dave Dombrowski wrote the forward to Impemba’s book.

Analysts who will join Castiglione at times to be part of a three-person booth will include WEEI’s Rob Bradford and Lou Merloni and Boston Sports Journal’s Sean McAdam. And at least one other former Red Sox player besides Merloni may be part of the rotation.
NESN’s Tom Caron may also call a game on radio once in a while. And one source suggested that Sean McDonough, the outstanding Red Sox television voice from 1988-2004, could call an occasional game. That would be a coup for WEEI, but he is under contract at ESPN.He did not respond to messages seeking comment.

WEEI fills out its lineup for Red Sox broadcasts - The Boston Globe

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
According to sources with knowledge of the process, those expected to be in the mix are Will Flemming, who currently calls Pawtucket Red Sox games, and Mario Impemba, a longtime Tigers broadcaster who was fired — along with analyst Rod Allen —in September after an altercation in the booth. Red Sox general manager Dave Dombrowski wrote the forward to Impemba’s book.

Analysts who will join Castiglione at times to be part of a three-person booth will include WEEI’s Rob Bradford and Lou Merloni and Boston Sports Journal’s Sean McAdam. And at least one other former Red Sox player besides Merloni may be part of the rotation.
NESN’s Tom Caron may also call a game on radio once in a while. And one source suggested that Sean McDonough, the outstanding Red Sox television voice from 1988-2004, could call an occasional game. That would be a coup for WEEI, but he is under contract at ESPN.He did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Merloni does a great job and adding McAdam is great

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Impemba has been confirmed @Fenway

Detroit Free Press has confirmed that end of the discussion from what's been posted there this AM

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
If he's on thin ice, the likelihood of him falling through has to be pretty high...

Could this be the HaggMobile?

IMG_1343-2.jpg

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
What really happened between Detroit Tigers' Mario Impemba and Rod Allen

Sounds like Impemba is kind of a prick.

"A couple of conclusions could be formed in researching their relationship. First, it was laced with a lack of respect, most notably with Impemba’s discontent for Allen’s inconsistent work ethic. A similar view was passed along unsolicited to the Free Press by a FSD camera man who believes Allen is good at his job but also that his lack of preparation had begun affecting the quality of broadcasts. Another is that Allen was always open to mending the fence; executives who had failed to eliminate this problem in multiple face-to-face meetings over the years felt that Impemba was just not willing to let Allen in."

"The argument centered on Allen’s frustration with Impemba questioning his professionalism. It continued with Impemba’s finger in Allen’s face and ended after Allen put his arms above Impemba’s shoulder, below his chin, pushing him up against the wall before the two were separated by a freelance TV producer who had heard the commotion."

"Allen couldn’t take it anymore, didn’t control his emotions and Impemba pushed the last button that detonated their successful run in Detroit."

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

"A couple of conclusions could be formed in researching their relationship. First, it was laced with a lack of respect, most notably with Impemba’s discontent for Allen’s inconsistent work ethic. A similar view was passed along unsolicited to the Free Press by a FSD camera man who believes Allen is good at his job but also that his lack of preparation had begun affecting the quality of broadcasts. Another is that Allen was always open to mending the fence; executives who had failed to eliminate this problem in multiple face-to-face meetings over the years felt that Impemba was just not willing to let Allen in."

"The argument centered on Allen’s frustration with Impemba questioning his professionalism. It continued with Impemba’s finger in Allen’s face and ended after Allen put his arms above Impemba’s shoulder, below his chin, pushing him up against the wall before the two were separated by a freelance TV producer who had heard the commotion."

"Allen couldn’t take it anymore, didn’t control his emotions and Impemba pushed the last button that detonated their successful run in Detroit."
If he even tries that crap here, I hope he's tossed on his ass.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Seems like both have issues. I'm sure many of us here have worked with someone who doesn't take their jobs as serious as you and does the bare minimum. It can get incredibly frustrating, especially if management never does anything to force a change.

Much of the blame should fall on the network. This was clearly a dysfunctional relationship and should have been broken up long before they got to this point.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The 2 cases I remember of local announcers who could not stand each other were Joe Castiglione and Glenn Geffner and Dave Shea with Derek Sanderson.

Jerry Trupiano was fired to make room for Geffner who was liked by Lucchino. Geffner made John Sterling sound like Vin Scully and Joe who likes everybody was ready to quit and Dave O'Brien came in to replace Geffner.

It was bad.

38Cliches.com: Search results for geffner

But Shea and Sanderson were toxic. I remember one game when Shea was complaining about a Bruins player and Derek snapped 'You can't even skate fatso, shut up'.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The 2 cases I remember of local announcers who could not stand each other were Joe Castiglione and Glenn Geffner and Dave Shea with Derek Sanderson.

Jerry Trupiano was fired to make room for Geffner who was liked by Lucchino. Geffner made John Sterling sound like Vin Scully and Joe who likes everybody was ready to quit and Dave O'Brien came in to replace Geffner.

It was bad.

38Cliches.com: Search results for geffner

But Shea and Sanderson were toxic. I remember one game when Shea was complaining about a Bruins player and Derek snapped 'You can't even skate fatso, shut up'.
Dave Shea was the worst. Just the worst.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Dave Shea was the worst. Just the worst.
Dave Shea was always shocked by icing calls. THEY WAIVED IT OFF!

Derek was great. I think it was just Fred and Derek on TV38 games and Fred, Derek and Dave on NESN?

The worst combo ever was Dave Shea and Gerry Cheevers. ZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZ.....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
from Fybush.com(New England Radio Watch):

Springfield Classic Country WHLL 1450 AM/Enfield, CT AC WMAS FM 94.7 SOLD from Cumulus to Entercom, Cumulus in return gets the Indianapolis holdings Entercom has (WNTR FM 107.9; WZPL FM 99.5; AND WXNT AM 1430.... WILL Entercom do better about the WMAS frequency than Cumulus, that's TBD

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Media Column: Revamped Red Sox booth will feature Sean McDonough's return to Boston and Chris Berman calling games

Many of Castig’s partners, such as Lou Merloni, Dale Arnold, Tom Caron, O’Brien and McDonough, are fixtures around these parts. Others, including Josh Lewin and Mario Impemba, are newcomers. They all carry unique backstories that led them to the Red Sox, demonstrating that life’s complicated path can sometimes lead to unexpected openings –– or in McDonugh’s case, returns.

“It’s nice to be back in the Red Sox fold, if that’s the right word,” McDonough told WEEI.com on the phone. “I didn’t want to leave 15 years ago, but in many ways, it was a good thing that I did, because it enabled me to do a lot of things that I otherwise wouldn’t have done –– the U.S. Open, British Open. I’ve just had a lot of opportunities that wouldn’t have come along if I were still doing Red Sox games on TV. My path has been winding and interesting, and I’m glad it’s brought me back to this place –– particularly at this time.”

McDonough, who called Red Sox games on TV from the late 1980s until 2004, is expected to be in the booth for roughly 30 dates this season. His debut will come April 11, when the Blue Jays visit Fenway Park. One week later, he’ll be behind the mic for the first Yankees series of the year.

There will be some three-man booth combinations as well, with Merloni occupying an analyst role. He is doing a stretch of games with Castiglione and McDonough in mid-April. On a Saturday in the middle of May, O’Brien will join McDonough and Castig when the Red Sox host Houston.

Castiglione, who’s worked with a litany of partners over his 36 years calling Red Sox games, says he thinks listeners will enjoy the interplay in the booth this season –– and there will be plenty of time for it.

“We’ll have conversation. They’re all good baseball people,” he said to WEEI.com in a phone call. “It should flow well. We like to have good conversation –– and tell stories and have background information on players to try and personalize them. That makes the fans feel like they know these people versus ‘Here’s a guy who’s hitting .302 with 20 home runs.’”

Lewin and Impemba will be heard most often, calling 55 games each. The former is a self-described broadcasting itinerant who never expected to be narrating Mookie Betts’ at-bats this summer. Last year, Lewin decided to leave the Mets’ broadcast team, and move out to San Diego full-time with his wife. He says he is still figuring out his schedule with Entercom in San Diego, and in the meantime, is thrilled at the prospect of spending some of his time in Fenway Park.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The Media Column: Revamped Red Sox booth will feature Sean McDonough's return to Boston and Chris Berman calling games

Many of Castig’s partners, such as Lou Merloni, Dale Arnold, Tom Caron, O’Brien and McDonough, are fixtures around these parts. Others, including Josh Lewin and Mario Impemba, are newcomers. They all carry unique backstories that led them to the Red Sox, demonstrating that life’s complicated path can sometimes lead to unexpected openings –– or in McDonugh’s case, returns.

“It’s nice to be back in the Red Sox fold, if that’s the right word,” McDonough told WEEI.com on the phone. “I didn’t want to leave 15 years ago, but in many ways, it was a good thing that I did, because it enabled me to do a lot of things that I otherwise wouldn’t have done –– the U.S. Open, British Open. I’ve just had a lot of opportunities that wouldn’t have come along if I were still doing Red Sox games on TV. My path has been winding and interesting, and I’m glad it’s brought me back to this place –– particularly at this time.”

McDonough, who called Red Sox games on TV from the late 1980s until 2004, is expected to be in the booth for roughly 30 dates this season. His debut will come April 11, when the Blue Jays visit Fenway Park. One week later, he’ll be behind the mic for the first Yankees series of the year.

There will be some three-man booth combinations as well, with Merloni occupying an analyst role. He is doing a stretch of games with Castiglione and McDonough in mid-April. On a Saturday in the middle of May, O’Brien will join McDonough and Castig when the Red Sox host Houston.

Castiglione, who’s worked with a litany of partners over his 36 years calling Red Sox games, says he thinks listeners will enjoy the interplay in the booth this season –– and there will be plenty of time for it.

“We’ll have conversation. They’re all good baseball people,” he said to WEEI.com in a phone call. “It should flow well. We like to have good conversation –– and tell stories and have background information on players to try and personalize them. That makes the fans feel like they know these people versus ‘Here’s a guy who’s hitting .302 with 20 home runs.’”

Lewin and Impemba will be heard most often, calling 55 games each. The former is a self-described broadcasting itinerant who never expected to be narrating Mookie Betts’ at-bats this summer. Last year, Lewin decided to leave the Mets’ broadcast team, and move out to San Diego full-time with his wife. He says he is still figuring out his schedule with Entercom in San Diego, and in the meantime, is thrilled at the prospect of spending some of his time in Fenway Park.

They ought to reunite McDonough with Remy,the best duo in baseball prior to Orsillo/Remy. O'Brien can go.

Reactions: Fenway

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I could watch Dave Reid and Mike Rupp breakdown plays all day.

I truly learn something almost every time they are on.

So much better than all the other former players on NHL Network, aside from Weekes who is pretty good too.

Can’t stand Lawton or Lindsay.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
McDonough calling Sox games just feels right to me.

But Chris Berman? GTFO with that. Ugh.

Sean was very upset at how little the new Red Sox ownership did when his father died in 2003. Jacobs opened the then Fleet Center for the wake and the Yankees sent a huge floral tribute. Sean then voiced his displeasure on WFAN telling Mike and the Mad Dog the new owners has no feel for Boston.

Will McDonough was only 67 when he died of a heart attack watching a Bruins game at home. He understood Boston more than any columnist before or since. Will loved all 4 teams in the city equally and that is something we will never see again. He grew up in Southie and was close to the Bulger family but later on, he knew more about Boston than anyone.

Joe Castiglione has had an amazing run. He became the #2 Red Sox voice in 1983 replacing the popular Jon Miller and has become an icon.

Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sean was very upset at how little the new Red Sox ownership did when his father died in 2003. Jacobs opened the then Fleet Center for the wake and the Yankees sent a huge floral tribute. Sean then voiced his displeasure on WFAN telling Mike and the Mad Dog the new owners has no feel for Boston.

Will McDonough was only 67 when he died of a heart attack watching a Bruins game at home. He understood Boston more than any columnist before or since. Will loved all 4 teams in the city equally and that is something we will never see again. He grew up in Southie and was close to the Bulger family but later on, he knew more about Boston than anyone.

Joe Castiglione has had an amazing run. He became the #2 Red Sox voice in 1983 replacing the popular Jon Miller and has become an icon.
Fenway, was Jon Miller really popular when he was here? I grew up with him as the seemingly confused old man on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball calling games along the awful Joe Morgan, so I have nothing but negative opinions of Miller as a broadcaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->