OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Neverett situation was bungled badly.

A friend who works at Entercom says things are on hold until the Yankees decide what their radio will be next year. Sterling can't get through an inning anymore without botching something.

BUT if NYY makes a change Entercom would consider bringing in a lifelong Red Sox fan who grew up in Newton to work with Joe C.

:help:

Dale Arnold doing Sox games would not shock me either.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
not to beat a dead horse but I am shocked how much hate Joe Castiglione was getting in the last thread

he is Red Sox royalty to me
It was just one poster with one post stating it. Not sure how that qualifies to how much hate you thought he was getting.

Last edited:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
It was just one poster with one post stating it. Not sure how that qualifies to how much hate you thought he was getting.

Yeah thats not true but nice try

Two people straight up stated their dislike for him, and one person equated Castiglione staying with the Sox to Mendoza staying at ESPN

"How does Joe Castiglione keep his job?"

"same way Jessica Mendoza get a multi year contract extension"

"I agree,I find Castiglione completely annoying,and Tim Neverett? Who?"

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yeah thats not true but nice try

Two people straight up stated their dislike for him, and one person equated Castiglione staying with the Sox to Mendoza staying at ESPN

"How does Joe Castiglione keep his job?"

"same way Jessica Mendoza get a multi year contract extension"

"I agree,I find Castiglione completely annoying,and Tim Neverett? Who?"
Wow. I was off by 1 poster. Forgive me I erred.

Sure does go to show “how much hate” there is for Joe.

Mountain and mole hills

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't live in radio broadcast range of the Red Sox anymore, and usually watch games online anyway. So what they do with WEEI doesn't really affect me. But I thought Neverett was like a walmart store brand version of Dave O'Brien, and wouldn't miss him anyway.

I like O'Brien as a radio announcer (though whoever on 98.5 first pointed out his hissing S sounds ruined him). Don't mind him on TV, but he was best working with Joe.

As for Waldman, eek. I'd find it funny to troll the Yankees organization by hiring her, but I feel bad for anyone who would have to listen to her 162 times a year.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't live in radio broadcast range of the Red Sox anymore, and usually watch games online anyway. So what they do with WEEI doesn't really affect me. But I thought Neverett was like a walmart store brand version of Dave O'Brien, and wouldn't miss him anyway.

I like O'Brien as a radio announcer (though whoever on 98.5 first pointed out his hissing S sounds ruined him). Don't mind him on TV, but he was best working with Joe.

As for Waldman, eek. I'd find it funny to troll the Yankees organization by hiring her, but I feel bad for anyone who would have to listen to her 162 times a year.

Can’t imagine anything they could do anything worse than hiring Waldman.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
That's what I was thinking. Talk show format? Uh no thanks. It's baseball. Talk about what's happening in the game.
From what I heard it is about to try to have more interesting talk in between pitches and batters about the game. Not to be chatting away while the play is happening.

Doesn't really matter to me either way since the only time I listen to a game is because I have no choice because I am not in front of my TV but even then I usually don't since I can just have the DVR going and catch up fairly easy.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
That's what I was thinking. Talk show format? Uh no thanks. It's baseball. Talk about what's happening in the game.

From what I heard it is about to try to have more interesting talk in between pitches and batters about the game. Not to be chatting away while the play is happening.

Doesn't really matter to me either way since the only time I listen to a game is because I have no choice because I am not in front of my TV but even then I usually don't since I can just have the DVR going and catch up fairly easy.

I think this format would actually work for TV since the audience is still focused on what's happening on the screen. You could have more of a discussion style during that instead of pure PBP with color that half the time has nothing to do with what's happening.

On the radio though? Don't think so. If I had to listen to the game on the radio, I need the PBP guy telling me what's happening since I obviously don't have the benefit of a screen to watch. I wouldn't want to hear 3-5 people having a round table discussion.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think this format would actually work for TV since the audience is still focused on what's happening on the screen. You could have more of a discussion style during that instead of pure PBP with color that half the time has nothing to do with what's happening.

On the radio though? Don't think so. If I had to listen to the game on the radio, I need the PBP guy telling me what's happening since I obviously don't have the benefit of a screen to watch. I wouldn't want to hear 3-5 people having a round table discussion.
That is not what they are proposing. The game will still be called and what is happening. Just more discussion on trades, call ups, general MLB talk in between play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->