OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That is not what they are proposing. The game will still be called and what is happening. Just more discussion on trades, call ups, general MLB talk in between play.

The Patriots have been doing this for several years in preseason.

Problem is I can't see Castiglione fitting in with this format.

Reactions: JRull86

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
I don't live in radio broadcast range of the Red Sox anymore, and usually watch games online anyway. So what they do with WEEI doesn't really affect me. But I thought Neverett was like a walmart store brand version of Dave O'Brien, and wouldn't miss him anyway.

I like O'Brien as a radio announcer (though whoever on 98.5 first pointed out his hissing S sounds ruined him). Don't mind him on TV, but he was best working with Joe.

As for Waldman, eek. I'd find it funny to troll the Yankees organization by hiring her, but I feel bad for anyone who would have to listen to her 162 times a year.

No chance they's bring Waldman on. I would never listen to another Sox radio broadcast again.

Reactions: EverettMike

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No chance they's bring Waldman on. I would never listen to another Sox radio broadcast again.

If she is let go by NYY Joe C has stated he would love working with her again.

She did Red Sox games in 1999 for about a month when Trupiano came down with a nasty flu that almost killed him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Patriots have been doing this for several years in preseason.

Problem is I can't see Castiglione fitting in with this format.

And for several years, the Pats preseason game calls have been terrible. It's so distracting and annoying to me. :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If she is let go by NYY Joe C has stated he would love working with her again.

She did Red Sox games in 1999 for about a month when Trupiano came down with a nasty flu that almost killed him.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay Baaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! The second baseman has moved way back to the outfield grass...

Troup was hilarious with how me made every pop up sound like it was going to leave the park.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
And for several years, the Pats preseason game calls have been terrible. It's so distracting and annoying to me. :laugh:
I think it has more to do with who actually is on those broadcasts than anything else.

Ninkovich was actually pretty good. Chatham is pretty good.

Dan Roche isn't a good PBP guy, especially for football. Fauria is god awful. Steve Burton adds nothing. Hart and Perillo are dweebs.

Reactions: LSCII

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What does the future hold for Red Sox broadcasts on WEEI? - The Boston Globe

Here are the first few paragraphs from the writeup in the STAA email about the job:

There is an opening on the Boston Red Sox radio play-by-play team following Tim Neverett’s decision not to renew his contract.

The Boston Globe has reported about plans for major changes to this broadcast format. STAA knows these plans to be true. WEEI wants to drop the concept of a conventional radio baseball broadcast to make the call of the game sound more like a talk show.

WEEI [program director] Joe Zarbano is eager to receive applications. However, he tells STAA he doesn’t want to be bombarded with email attachments.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Media Column: WEEI is not changing the format of Red Sox broadcasts

WEEI, Boston’s legacy sports radio brand and the winner of the 2018 Sports Station of the Year Marconi award, is seeking an experienced and talented individual to be the next play-by-play announcer on the WEEI Boston Red Sox Radio Network. The candidate selected for this dream job opportunity will sit alongside Red Sox Hall of Famer Joe Castiglione in the broadcast booth.

“The ideal candidate will have vast experience doing play-by-play for a professional team, an inherent understanding of the passionate Boston sports fan base, and an innate ability to be able to describe what’s happening on the field in an entertaining and compelling fashion.
“This is not an entry-level position. Only the best should apply.

“Qualified candidates should send a resume and a link to audio samples (no attachments please) to Joe Zarbano, Program Director ([email protected])

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The Media Column: WEEI is not changing the format of Red Sox broadcasts

WEEI, Boston’s legacy sports radio brand and the winner of the 2018 Sports Station of the Year Marconi award, is seeking an experienced and talented individual to be the next play-by-play announcer on the WEEI Boston Red Sox Radio Network. The candidate selected for this dream job opportunity will sit alongside Red Sox Hall of Famer Joe Castiglione in the broadcast booth.

“The ideal candidate will have vast experience doing play-by-play for a professional team, an inherent understanding of the passionate Boston sports fan base, and an innate ability to be able to describe what’s happening on the field in an entertaining and compelling fashion.
“This is not an entry-level position. Only the best should apply.

“Qualified candidates should send a resume and a link to audio samples (no attachments please) to Joe Zarbano, Program Director ([email protected])
Hope they find somebody palatable enough to push Castiglione out,but this is the team that pushed out McDonough and Orsillo,and forcefeeds us Saltalamacchia. Ugh

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just something that is making me take account of my life.....

I’m 48 and I remember when Castiglione got the job because my teacher that year had the same last name....

I was in third grade.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I always loved Jerry Trupiano, but when he made an Echo & the Bunnymen reference during a game, he became a deity to me. And all Joe Castiglione has ever done is utter the most important words in Red Sox radio history. As stated previously - he's royalty.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is always a pleasure to listen to CKGM AM 690 (TSN 690) in Montreal during hockey season and especially when they play the Bruins. The station has a powerful signal and at night is one of a handful of Canadian AM stations that was allowed to beam their signal into the US.

The postgame show on Monday was just a delight for a Bruins fan to listen to.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/habs-postgame-show-who-would-you-bench-1.1228149

Mitch Melneck does an afternoon show that features some great interviews and he tries to avoid going to the phones as much as possible. I spent time after the game with him. He is still frustrated that MLB would not allow CKGM to carry Red Sox games as they consider Montreal part of the Toronto territory.

He is curious about what will happen in 2019 when a Vermont AM station will join the WEEI network as the station puts a strong signal into Montreal.

Monday afternoon most of the show was devoted to the Montreal/Bruins game. Melnick is a closet Bruins fan going to back to a time when the Bruins were on Montreal cable more than the Habs were. Some of you will cringe that Murphy is a contributor to TSN but they have grown to trust him.

Look at the entire body of work from Monday.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/murphy-halak-has-been-a-calming-presence-for-bruins-1.1227989

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/farber-great-memories-of-habs-bruins-1.1227897

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/edholm-patriots-look-ordinary-1.1227894

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/haggerty-rash-of-injuries-have-limited-bruins-1.1227684

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mcguire-habs-finally-have-an-identity-1.1227962

It was a nice break from the sewer that Boston sports radio is.

upload_2018-12-18_3-6-16.png

upload_2018-12-18_3-8-28.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->