OT: Official Sports Media Thread IX: Boston Marathon TV coverage will move to Channel 5/ESPN as of next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babajingo

Have NHL network in the background. The whole channel is just one big fluffer for the league. I understand, its the product they promote. But I don't hear one negative/objective opinion.
Every player is the best at something. "David Perron is the best at taking wrist shots while on one skate, looking down with a defender hacking at his skate"
Its sad how sports have become. I have nothing to back this up but I think it started with Jordan. Don't get me wrong the guy was the greatest but the networks figured out that if you just promote him or other players, you sell the product. Now they all do it. You have to go local or podcasts to get objective opinions now. Howard Cosell must be turning over in his grave.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Peacock has the latest episode of Chara’s docuseries for free:

The first three episodes aired on NBCSN last year, and I remember they said something about a fourth episode, but it never aired. I guess they wanted to hurt us by getting footage of Chara in Washington.

Babajingo

"
the now 34-year-old Rask kicked this latest run off with a 29-of-32 performance, including an overtime squeaker off, under, and through him for a 3-2 Washington victory.
It’s not the first time that Rask has dropped the opening game of a postseason round, of course. But was it the last?"

Wow, I thought Ty was better than the other hacks. Guess not. First he fails to mention that the shot was tipped before it got to Rask. And last I checked, the Caps finished ahead of Boston, was a home game for the Caps (get last change), the game was tied and went into OT and the "perfection" line did squat.
I did the math. Tuukka's opening game of a playoff series record is 13w and 6L.

Reactions: LSCII and whitetape

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Starting my drive home.

Wonder what garbage the Sports Hub will be troweling out today.

Let’s tune in and find out...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Starting my drive home.

Wonder what garbage the Sports Hub will be troweling out today.

Let’s tune in and find out...

If you dislike Felger's act, why do you listen? I personally think he's hilarious because he tells people what he's doing and they still get mad. If anything, the one on the show with actual contempt and hatred towards the local teams and fans is Mazz. He clearly hates everyone.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If you dislike Felger's act, why do you listen? I personally think he's hilarious because he tells people what he's doing and they still get mad. If anything, the one on the show with actual contempt and hatred towards the local teams and fans is Mazz. He clearly hates everyone.

I've grown to like Felger when he gets on about hockey. He was excellent in the 2010 series with Philly, and typically chubs up once the games start to really matter. Not the most knowledgeable guy but also doesn't pretend to be. I think he comes across more as a casual fan than anything else, but he's entertaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sieve77 and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Curiosity, more than anything.

I never stay long. I move on to music or a podcast after a segment or two. Just wanted to hear what he’d have to say after a Bruins WIN.

I hear you. I assume today will be they won, but man, Rask was shaky in there and he scares me. If you have to count on that guy to win you a cup, you're not winning a cup because he's a choker.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I've grown to like Felger when he gets on about hockey. He was excellent in the 2010 series with Philly, and typically chubs up once the games start to really matter. Not the most knowledgeable guy but also doesn't pretend to be. I think he comes across more as a casual fan than anything else, but he's entertaining.

The most positive thing I can say about Felger is that while he may not get a lot of what happens in the game and why it matters, he is at least an actual hockey fan and does follow it. Unlike the vast majority of sports broadcasters in this area, who loathe the sport and having to cover it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Leah Hextall will call games for ESPN's NHL coverage next year

Here’s more on this hire from Andrew Marchand of The New York Post:
For its NHL coverage, ESPN has signed Leah Hextall to do play-by-play and other roles, The Post has learned.

While the exact number of games she will broadcast is not yet known, she will be the first woman play-by-player to be a regular part of national NHL TV package.

Hextall has been broadcasting hockey for 17 years.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

For its NHL coverage, ESPN has signed Leah Hextall to do play-by-play and other roles, The Post has learned.

While the exact number of games she will broadcast is not yet known, she will be the first woman play-by-player to be a regular part of national NHL TV package.

Very good hire for the four-letter network. I still detest ESPN and loathe Disney, but I’m happy for Leah. I hope she crushes it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Have NHL network in the background. The whole channel is just one big fluffer for the league. I understand, its the product they promote. But I don't hear one negative/objective opinion.
Every player is the best at something. "David Perron is the best at taking wrist shots while on one skate, looking down with a defender hacking at his skate"
Its sad how sports have become. I have nothing to back this up but I think it started with Jordan. Don't get me wrong the guy was the greatest but the networks figured out that if you just promote him or other players, you sell the product. Now they all do it. You have to go local or podcasts to get objective opinions now. Howard Cosell must be turning over in his grave.

The NHL Network has no idea what their viewership is as they do not subscribe to a rating service.

NHL Network is an American sports-oriented cable and satellite television network that is a joint venture between the National Hockey League (which owns a controlling 84.4% interest) and NBCUniversal (which owns the remaining 15.6%). Dedicated to ice hockey, the network features live game telecasts from the NHL and other professional and collegiate hockey leagues, as well as NHL-related content including analysis programs, specials and documentaries.

The channel's headquarters and studios are located in the Secaucus, New Jersey facilities also utilized by MLB Network.

They run commercials from NHL partners but otherwise, they have a lot of commercials that they only get paid if someone buys something.

Reactions: rfournier103

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I had trouble listening to her NCAA call on NCAA tournament but I think she was doing by self.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Did Matt Siegal quit on air this morning?
That is what it sounds like.

If he's going to get upset about using the preferred gender pronouns of a musician the station plays (not getting into anything remotely political here) then he shouldn't be on the radio.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That is what it sounds like.

No secret that iHeart would love to see Matty quit - They would install this person in the timeslot in a heartbeat

Have you heard the news about our girl Tiff? | Kiss 108 | Tiffany

Kiss 108 host Matt Siegel storms off show claiming censorship over Demi Lovato comments

If he's going to get upset about using the preferred gender pronouns of a musician the station plays (not getting into anything remotely political here) then he shouldn't be on the radio.

Kiss 108 host Matty Siegel abruptly walked off his long-running morning show Tuesday after he says management told him to tone down his commentary surrounding pop star Demi Lovato.

Siegel, who has been with WXKS-FM since 1981 and whose “Matty in the Morning” show has been a station mainstay, left listeners asking questions after he intimated on air that he was done with the program.

Reached by phone by Boston.com, Siegel said that he received a call from his boss telling him to stop talking about Lovato, who announced this morning that they are non-binary and are changing their pronouns.

“I’m against her binary thing; I think she’s a troubled woman and a lot of young people are taking her seriously and it bothers me,” Siegel said.

“But of course, it’s a comedy show, so I did it in the context of jokes.

“We were having fun with it, and my boss called up and said that I’d crossed the line and they didn’t want me talking about it anymore,” he continued. “I responded by saying, ‘If I can’t talk about what I’m thinking at this point in my career, I don’t want to be on the radio anymore.’”

On air, Siegel was similarly defiant, saying that “Matty in the Morning” is the “number one radio show in the history of Boston.”
“I am the biggest of all time, and they said, ‘Shut up, Matt! Stop talking,'” Siegel said. “Well, I hope you’re happy, because I just stopped talking. Matty out.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That's because Cam called them out for not talking about or being positive about the team before he ended his interview on T&R this morning.

I was very surprised Cam said anything but honestly, I am glad he did.

Yes and no. No, they're not there to cheerlead for the Bruins. Yes, they should talk about the positive things as well as the negative.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The hills people in the media choose to die on are really interesting to me.

Demi Lovato is a total nutcase though.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yes and no. No, they're not there to cheerlead for the Bruins. Yes, they should talk about the positive things as well as the negative.
You can talk about the negative but you can not sensationalize things and make up shit and Felger and Mazz tend to grossly exaggerate things to the point where the line between fact and fiction is incredibly blurry.

Up until the playoffs they refused to talk about the Bruins unless they lost. You can't just ignore a team and suddenly only talk about them when they lose.

Bottom line is that no one should be going to those two boobs to get hockey takes unless they have someone who covers the Bruins on as a guest.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You can talk about the negative but you can not sensationalize things and make up shit and Felger and Mazz tend to grossly exaggerate things to the point where the line between fact and fiction is incredibly blurry.

Up until the playoffs they refused to talk about the Bruins unless they lost. You can't just ignore a team and suddenly only talk about them when they lose.

Bottom line is that no one should be going to those two boobs to get hockey takes unless they have someone who covers the Bruins on as a guest.

I've given up on sports radio, it is a lost cause. It's all screaming, yelling and bullshit these days.

Reactions: rfournier103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->