OT: Official Sports Media Thread IX: Boston Marathon TV coverage will move to Channel 5/ESPN as of next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I heard him going after Jeff Howe and turned the radio off.

He mocked Howe and his reporting, hung up on him and then had the audacity to call Howe the sensitive one. I am not even a Jeff Howe fan but it was embarrassing. Fred Toucher might be the most sensitive media personality in the market and he's calling Howe the sensitive one.

Everyone jumped on Jim Gray for that infamous interview but Toucher helped the interview get to the contentious stage. He's just as big an a-hole as Jim Gray.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Toucher is just progressively becoming a more negative prick all the time, I can't believe he survived his meltdown last year. I still find 98.5 more listenable than WEEI in the mornings but Fred really brings down the show.

He should've been fired then. The only thing I can think of is either 98.5 didn't want to hire a replacement in the middle of a pandemic or when he went to rehab they were afraid of an ADA discrimination suit if they fired him then. But he had that meltdown live on air that embarrassed everyone, since then he's continued to be a grumpy dink, and today was the worst episode in a long time. Right afterwards Rich was like "..why did you hang up on him? I thought that was just normal banter..."

Reactions: Alicat

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
He should've been fired then. The only thing I can think of is either 98.5 didn't want to hire a replacement in the middle of a pandemic or when he went to rehab they were afraid of an ADA discrimination suit if they fired him then. But he had that meltdown live on air that embarrassed everyone, since then he's continued to be a grumpy dink, and today was the worst episode in a long time. Right afterwards Rich was like "..why did you hang up on him? I thought that was just normal banter..."

it was just normal banter, Fred cant get over himself sometimes. I understand Howe's article was really lame and the logic was a massive stretch, but finish the interview and then have a laugh about it afterward.

I wouldn't be shocked if Rich was the reason that Fred wasn't canned last year. That was an unforgivable tantrum that went out over a live broadcast. You simply can't allow that. Rich though, is immensely talented and straight laced to boot. If he goes to bat for his long time broadcast partner, you bet that the execs will listen.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
it was just normal banter, Fred cant get over himself sometimes. I understand Howe's article was really lame and the logic was a massive stretch, but finish the interview and then have a laugh about it afterward.

I wouldn't be shocked if Rich was the reason that Fred wasn't canned last year. That was an unforgivable tantrum that went out over a live broadcast. You simply can't allow that. Rich though, is immensely talented and straight laced to boot. If he goes to bat for his long time broadcast partner, you bet that the execs will listen.

I like Rich, but I don't think he can carry a show on his own. When Fred was in rehab and Wallach and Joe Murray were in the other chairs, it was lacking. They really need a point guard to drive conversation. But if Fred got canned, would Rich want to stay around and welcome a co-host after all this time? I don't think they'd last long if it was just the Rich and Wallach morning show.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Wow I totally missed this rant you guys are talking about. Is that available anywhere? If not, what was the context?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Wow I totally missed this rant you guys are talking about. Is that available anywhere? If not, what was the context?

The original one from last year? I think they scrubbed it from the internet. They never made that hour available where they put their podcasts for later listening. Not sure if anyone ever captured it and posted to youtube or anywhere.

But IIRC he came in like halfway through the first hour of the show and started yelling about how his wife was divorcing him and his life is a total mess. They sent him home right after and then he ended up going to rehab for about 6 weeks to stop drinking.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It's one thing if you don't buy what Howe is reporting. That is understandable and perfectly fine. But you don't have a guy on and do what Fred did.

Reactions: Alicat

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
NBCUniversal Explores Streaming Its Sports Channels or Selling Them Off

NBC apparently wants to sell the RSNs they own or move them to Peacock. Does John Henry / NESN try to gobble them up for Celtics rights? Should be interesting.

NBC seems to want out of sports not on OTA NBC or Peacock. NBC SN is shutting down and so is NBC Sports Northwest (they had the Portland Trailblazers)

It's awful. It's as close to a local sports channel we have here. Now we've got nothing that's just our teams. :-(

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Tuned in to T & R to see what they said about the kids and once again Fred is an ass.

He got all over Tuukka essentially saying he better not pull anything and leave the team this year or Swayman will take his job and the show dismissed what the kids did last night.

The anti Tuukka shit in this town is mind boggling.

I really can’t believe we have to rehash last year for the umpteenth time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad