OT: Official Sports Media Thread IX: Boston Marathon TV coverage will move to Channel 5/ESPN as of next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hearing CBS is also involved with the Turner bid

chuckandgary-e1560389581667.jpeg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC has officially pulled out of the bidding for the NHL’s second TV package, according to U.S. and Canadian sources. Next season will now mark the first time since the ’05-06 campaign that the network will not carry any NHL games. NBC would not comment on this story. Several weeks ago, the network put forth a bid for the league’s second package that would have put most games on its Peacock streaming service.

The bid came in below $100M, which was well below the figure that the NHL sought. NBC is in the last year of a 10-year deal that pays an average of $200M per year. Last month, ESPN signed a seven-year deal worth around $400M per year.

NBC showed loyalty to NHL by staying in the bidding process and helping the league try to secure bigger rights deals from others, but NBC never was aggressive in pursuing a renewal.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I love Chuck. I'm not even a big basketball fan but Chuck, Kenny, Shaq and Ernie is television perfection.
I feel lucky to have seen Chuck, Kenny and Shaq play. The 95 finals between Kenny and Shaq was crazy.

I never saw Kenny Smith play in person but I was lucky to see Chuck and Shaq play in person.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I feel lucky to have seen Chuck, Kenny and Shaq play. The 95 finals between Kenny and Shaq was crazy.

I never saw Kenny Smith play in person but I was lucky to see Chuck and Shaq play in person.
all you have to do is watch Clutch City and you'll know the legend of the "The Jet"

Reactions: Alicat

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
sad news to pass along here for those in this state and region who have ever read a "Huddle Up" Column in the Lewiston Sun Journal.... even to those who saw the iconic 1998 Ice Storm photo and story about Al Gore picking up a power line that may have been live back then.

RIP Randy Whitehouse 1952-2021

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I've only been to one NBA game in my life, when my dad won tickets from a work raffle to a Celtics vs. Cavs game in 1997. So the best players I've seen in person are Terrell Brandon and Antoine Walker. Oof.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Sports radio continues to be a joke.

Fred said Ryan Nugent Hopkins is better than Krejci and that the Bruins need to get rid of Krejci because he's sucked for years now.

Fred also said Bergeron would overstay his welcome but the Bruins have to pay him as long as he wants to pay.

Fred should have been fired after he showed up and had a complete unprofessional meltdown on the radio last summer.

Reactions: rfournier103

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Fred said Ryan Nugent Hopkins is better than Krejci and that the Bruins need to get rid of Krejci because he's sucked for years now.

Fred also said Bergeron would overstay his welcome but the Bruins have to pay him as long as he wants to pay.

Fred should have been fired after he showed up and had a complete unprofessional meltdown on the radio last summer.
I got to tell you, both of these entities are unlistenable. Fred is a moron. His side kick is MEH. I think I only will listen to Murray. Felger is nauseating. His poodle friend is horrendous.
I won’t talk about that dump of a station of WEEI.
Original 6 city and they just piss on them. They deserve their shit ratings. Too bad because I like the Hill show and Lou. That’s it. Big O is a big AHole. Him and his Hawky Tawk. Wanted to punch him. He’s retiring soon so he doesn’t give a shit. I wonder where he puts all his 6 rings he got from the Pats?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I listened to Greg Bedard from BSJ on 98.5 on the ride home this afternoon.

I hope Bedard was well compensated for his appearance on the show, because the two hosts of the show are absolutely insufferable and I can tell Bedard was losing his patience. One of the hosts is actually a decent journalist who lost his way, and the other is a carpetbagger whose contempt for us is very thinly veiled.

If Greg Bedard wasn’t on the show and they weren’t talking about the Patriots’ draft, I would have changed the station about 2 minutes in.

Reactions: Alicat

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

A shame I can only like this once. The 98.5 morning show is awful! I can tell you for a fact that SiriusXM Radio is worth every. Single. Penny.

The only terrestrial radio I listen to anymore is WBZ for local news, and the Sports Hub on occasion. Otherwise, satellite radio is where it’s at for me.

Reactions: Fenian24

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

John Stamos is taking over Disney Hits on SXM @3pm this afternoon.

Must listen radio.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Quality programming! I’m more of an Ozzy’s Boneyard kind of guy myself, but I appreciate the heads up.

Same, but it gets sort of stale.

My core consists of:

70s
80s
90s
The Bridge
Classic Rewind
Classic Vinyl
Octane
Ozzy's Boneyard
Hair Nation
Turbo

All of those are set to record.
I have all of the sports stations preset too, as well as:
Pop2k
Alt Nation
Faction Punk
Emo Project
Soul Town
The Groove
Deep Tracks
Elvis
Disney

I'll typically give the bozos a listen in the afternoon, just to see what they have to say.
I know it's garbage sports radio, but it's my guilty pleasure.
Even the Mrs. has grown sort of fond of hearing what they have to say.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Same, but it gets sort of stale.

My core consists of:

70s
80s
90s
The Bridge
Classic Rewind
Classic Vinyl
Octane
Ozzy's Boneyard
Hair Nation
Turbo

All of those are set to record.
I have all of the sports stations preset too, as well as:
Pop2k
Alt Nation
Faction Punk
Emo Project
Soul Town
The Groove
Deep Tracks
Elvis
Disney

I'll typically give the bozos a listen in the afternoon, just to see what they have to say.
I know it's garbage sports radio, but it's my guilty pleasure.
Even the Mrs. has grown sort of fond of hearing what they have to say.
Except for Octane and Turbo, my core is exactly the same with the addition of Deep Tracks and First Wave.

I knew I liked you.

Edit: I tune into the sports hub for the same reason, too.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBCUniversal Explores Streaming Its Sports Channels or Selling Them Off

NBC apparently wants to sell the RSNs they own or move them to Peacock. Does John Henry / NESN try to gobble them up for Celtics rights? Should be interesting.

NBC seems to want out of sports not on OTA NBC or Peacock. NBC SN is shutting down and so is NBC Sports Northwest (they had the Portland Trailblazers)

There is a 50% chance that NBC Sports Boston will close down this summer after the Celtics season ends.

The Celtics have the right to buy out NBC/Universal's majority share but then they would need to build their own studio. There is a third partner that owns 10% of the channel going back to 1982 but they have no interest in buying out NBC - Incredibly that partner is the Carolina Hurricanes.

The beancounters at Comcast Philadelphia are ruthless.

Reactions: sooshii

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There is a 50% chance that NBC Sports Boston will close down this summer after the Celtics season ends.

The Celtics have the right to buy out NBC/Universal's majority share but then they would need to build their own studio. There is a third partner that owns 10% of the channel going back to 1982 but they have no interest in buying out NBC - Incredibly that partner is the Carolina Hurricanes.

The beancounters at Comcast Philadelphia are ruthless.

I could see John Henry acquiring Celtics rights, then from April onward the Sox will be on NESN, the Celtics will be on NESN Plus, and the Bruins will be relegated to NESN Plus Plus

Babajingo

NBCUniversal Explores Streaming Its Sports Channels or Selling Them Off

NBC apparently wants to sell the RSNs they own or move them to Peacock. Does John Henry / NESN try to gobble them up for Celtics rights? Should be interesting.

NBC seems to want out of sports not on OTA NBC or Peacock. NBC SN is shutting down and so is NBC Sports Northwest (they had the Portland Trailblazers)

I hope this doesn't include their Olympic channel. Personally, I like watching some "other" sports every now and then. Like biathalon, skiing, swimming, cycling, ... I imagine it must be expensive to maintain though.

Reactions: BMC and Gator Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad