OT: Official Sports Media Thread IX: Boston Marathon TV coverage will move to Channel 5/ESPN as of next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

So, NHL on USA in 2022....

no, the original rumor was September, 2021, or if Tokyo was to be held as it is currently scheduled.......

it will kill Indycar, since they have an exclusivity agreement..... it may kill IMSA, as well, since the Sportscar races are exclusive property ...

Next Weekend is the opening of Motorsports on North American tracks for 2021 with the ROLEX 24 @ Daytona

Reactions: BMC

MrMars

May 26, 2006

So, NHL on USA in 2022....

Also possible NBC is out as a NHL rights holder after this season. Contract is up, that or they will become the secondary rights holder.

Personally I don’t think it’s a coincidence timing of the NHL deal ending and the station folding are in line.

Reactions: talkinaway

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Also possible NBC is out as a NHL rights holder after this season. Contract is up, that or they will become the secondary rights holder.
NBCSN is gone as 1/2022.... DOUBTFUL Peacock will pick up that contract, because it would have to be renewed, and no one has Peacock even a streaming option, nevermind paying extra on top of cable

there's supposed to be a meeting on the 26th, to explain why the shutdown of NBCSN and what NBCSG will do going forward.

when you hear this: it makes you wonder what's next, the loss of NECN AND/OR THE REGIONAL RSN's

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Why do all twitter links now just show as the silly blue bird and can't see the actual tweet?

The Twitter API requires a login to show Twitter content on Message Boards like this. So if it tries to log into Twitter behind the scenes and CAN'T you will get the blank box with the twitter logo.

Traffic latency can do it as well, but HFBoards is not very sluggish right now.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MrMars

May 26, 2006
NBCSN is gone as 1/2022.... DOUBTFUL Peacock will pick up that contract, because it would have to be renewed, and no one has Peacock even a streaming option, nevermind paying extra on top of cable

there's supposed to be a meeting on the 26th, to explain why the shutdown of NBCSN and what NBCSG will do going forward.

when you hear this: it makes you wonder what's next, the loss of NECN AND/OR THE REGIONAL RSN's

As of now it only effects NBCSN. It’s possible USA gets a game or two a week but no way the amount of coverage they have now. I’d say next to zero chance NBC keeps it all and 50/50 NBC gets a secondary package (NHL has made it clear they want to be on multiple networks next season)

MrMars

May 26, 2006
The word I got from Stamford is NBC expects to lose the NHL to FOX/ESPN.

I’ve heard the same thing, and if NBC does end up keeping anything it would be the secondary package with the Stanley Cup Finals etc going elsewhere.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The word I got from Stamford is NBC expects to lose the NHL to FOX/ESPN.

Shame.

NBC has been the best broadcast partner this league has ever had. I don't like Fox's presentation for the sports it covers now, and can't imagine they'll give hockey the spotlight it deserves.

That said, if they bring back the glowing puck and the robots that kill each other after goals, I'm all in.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Shame.

NBC has been the best broadcast partner this league has ever had. I don't like Fox's presentation for the sports it covers now, and can't imagine they'll give hockey the spotlight it deserves.

That said, if they bring back the glowing puck and the robots that kill each other after goals, I'm all in.
FoxRobots1996-2.gif

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is awful NBC is going all in on peacock. You'll get EPL and NHL covered OK on USA for a year and then pretty much everything will go to Peacock because they think they can get people to sign up for it like ESPN/Disney does.

Sports are why you pay for cable this stuff is disgusting. I have enough monthly media subscriptions I don't need NBC Sports to become another.

Reactions: lopey

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is awful NBC is going all in on peacock. You'll get EPL and NHL covered OK on USA for a year and then pretty much everything will go to Peacock because they think they can get people to sign up for it like ESPN/Disney does.

Sports are why you pay for cable this stuff is disgusting. I have enough monthly media subscriptions I don't need NBC Sports to become another.

Disney+ now has close to 90 million subscribers and many package Hulu and ESPN+ with it.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Any cord cutters have a solution to NESN not being on any of the main services? I figured they'd break and sign back on with Youtube TV before the season started but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'd hate to go back to regular cable TV. Not just because I'm sick of it, but all my TVs are now the same brand of smart TV and I kind of love having no boxes/cables hanging out of them. Plus I've situated them all in my new house in a way that running a box to them is going to be ugly. And I'm sure as hell not going to carry two TV services just to watch the Bs...

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Any cord cutters have a solution to NESN not being on any of the main services? I figured they'd break and sign back on with Youtube TV before the season started but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'd hate to go back to regular cable TV. Not just because I'm sick of it, but all my TVs are now the same brand of smart TV and I kind of love having no boxes/cables hanging out of them. Plus I've situated them all in my new house in a way that running a box to them is going to be ugly. And I'm sure as hell not going to carry two TV services just to watch the Bs...
I could tell you but I’d have to kill you :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad