OT: Official Spittin Chiclets Thread

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Another good episode today especially if you want to hear Martinook talk about drywalling his hoop :laugh:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So Marleau was on last podcast. They kept asking him about Roenick??? A miniscule amount of research could have told them that Roenick and Marleau are not friends and Roenick was a major asshat to him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So Marleau was on last podcast. They kept asking him about Roenick??? A miniscule amount of research could have told them that Roenick and Marleau are not friends and Roenick was a major asshat to him.
I don’t think they need to start doing research. They’ve gotten this far without it. :)

Reactions: ck26

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don’t think they need to start doing research. They’ve gotten this far without it. :)
I agree but when you cause too many guests a headache eventually they tend to stop agreeing to come on. Roenick would be another good example.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Last episode also mentioned that maybe part of the reason Kessel struggled this season is they stopped manufacturing the stick/flex/curve/whatever that he has been using forever.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Last episode also mentioned that maybe part of the reason Kessel struggled this season is they stopped manufacturing the stick/flex/curve/whatever that he has been using forever.
I am not knowledgeable about this stuff, but unless that company went under, couldn't he just pay whatever is necessary to get them to custom-make him a set for the rest of his career? Even if they did go under, you'd think some one else has purchased the machines used to make the sticks and he could find some one who has experience making his stick specifications.

Anecdotally, he did seem to bobble and mishandle the puck much too often, so maybe there is credence to this.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
As a guy who took the sport up late in life, and hence kinda needed a fairly flat stick, then later tried some other curves, lies, etc out...how anyone can handle an Ovechkin stick is beyond me.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I am not knowledgeable about this stuff, but unless that company went under, couldn't he just pay whatever is necessary to get them to custom-make him a set for the rest of his career? Even if they did go under, you'd think some one else has purchased the machines used to make the sticks and he could find some one who has experience making his stick specifications.

Anecdotally, he did seem to bobble and mishandle the puck much too often, so maybe there is credence to this.

(some quick Googling)
Here's an article from 2014 on sticks Kessel was using. Apparently he uses an extremely flexible stick. So flexible most players can't handle it.

Mirtle: Secrets of Kessel’s success include unique stick and deceptive strength

A good example is Kessel's use of one of the most flexible and unique composite sticks in the NHL, with a fine-tuned kick point low, down near the blade, that allows the shaft to bend like a rubber band and that gives him one of the hardest-to-stop shots in the world.

New stick technology has changed the way all players interact with pucks in the past decade, but Kessel has taken more advantage of it than most. His stick, manufactured by Easton, is believed to have a flex rating of less than 70, one of the lowest in the league.

While neither Kessel or the manufacturer likes to talk about its exact specifics, a quick highlight package of his goals is enough to see what makes it different. Unlike players in earlier eras, Kessel can shoot hard and accurately while still in stride, using his body weight, strength and the whip of the composite hockey stick – combined with an uncanny accuracy – to pick corners when netminders least expect it.

Over the years, he has also refined his passing accuracy using the highly customized S19 model, which he wraps in a candy-cane pattern with tape over the entire shaft for better grip.
NHL players say the exact type of stick Kessel uses is so difficult to control that most give up experimenting with it after a practice or two. Such a whippy stick complicates simple things such as stickhandling or winning battles along the boards, making it suitable for only the most precise player.

rt

May 13, 2004

rt

May 13, 2004

This is annoying and feels stupid and wrong. HOWEVER - this could balance out the idiotic cancel-culture, online mob justice nonsense a little. Anything that happens that moves us further away from that is good. What Roenick said was awful, and he absolutely would not be the person I would choose as my example of “wrongful termination” during this era of hypersensitivity and social justice mob rule. HOWEVER - I’m glad to see some kind of organized resistance.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Eppy 284 with Dave Hanson. Puttin' on the foil! Loved this episode. I have requested the Coyotes bring in the Hanson Bros a few times in the past. One of them played one of the early Roadrunners teams, I think.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Eppy 284 with Dave Hanson. Puttin' on the foil! Loved this episode. I have requested the Coyotes bring in the Hanson Bros a few times in the past. One of them played one of the early Roadrunners teams, I think.
My Cousin was roommates with Dave's Son when both played for the Marlies. The connections the kid had from the slapshot movies was unreal. Nothing my Cousin could be looking for tgat Christian couldn't pick up the phone and get instantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad