*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Are there any good goalie prospects that you know of who will report? I am sure Igor has a few up his sleeve! Obviously some of the imports work out tremendously as in Yaki, but then not so well as in Nemecek (whom I personally didn't think got a fair shot at showing his potential by sitting out so many games).

Can't say I know any Russian options TBH. I am sure Igor could get his hands on someone haha.

I tend to agree on Nemecek. He really didn't have much opportunity to gain momentum but I would say Sarnia hit another homerun on Goldobin

Peski would be a steal if he reports---but I read on the Ottawa 67's AAA website that he was going to go the NCAA route. Not sure if thats a ploy like Abou Assaly pulled last year,or maybe its true. Time will tell I guess.

Heard similar rumbings. I think his intentions are NCAA but we will see.

SarniaSting101

Aug 9, 2010
Can't say I know any Russian options TBH. I am sure Igor could get his hands on someone haha.

I tend to agree on Nemecek. He really didn't have much opportunity to gain momentum but I would say Sarnia hit another homerun on Goldobin

More like a grand slam with Goldy!

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012

Heard similar rumbings. I think his intentions are NCAA but we will see.

Might have to switch Sarnia to my fav team if Renaud,White and Peski are ever in the lineup at same time. Three families I know fairly well. Too bad arena is a little far from here lol.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
The few comments I saw suggesting Trottier was the only Lambton player "deserving" of a pick I, personally don't think is fair. Especially to the kids that will read that right after the draft. Brenden was very deserving of a pick. But that doesn't mean that any of his 18 teammates didn't deserve it as well.

I saw that team a lot I think there is a few talented players on this team, and a few others on this team that would be excellent role players. We only ranked two Lambton players in the top 200, but that doesn't mean that I don't believe there are a few other kids on that team that could do something in hockey. There are some good hard working kids on that team, and I hope they show what they can do over the next 5 years they're eligible to play junior hockey.

Moving on to Sarnia's draft. This is the best draft in my opinion I've seen from the Sting since I started this job.

Korestelev has one of if not the best shot in the draft. He just needs to be a little more consistent with his work ethic.

Noah Bushnell.. think Matt Martin. He's big, he hits and will drop the gloves. He's pretty good around the net.

Connor Schlichting he's a big D who does everything well and didn't make many mistakes. He's big and he'll hit, just don't expect him to drop the gloves.

Justin Fazio.. I have no idea if there is a Ciccarelli connection as some are suggesting, this kid is vastly underrated. He was easily right there with the best goaltenders in this draft. We had him 3rd amongst our goaltenders ranked at #56 and he went #69 so technically we had him higher than he was picked. I really have no idea why he didn't get the same amount of credit as the others, so I'm giving him the credit now. However I do remember Brendan Ross who posts here also spoke highly of him at the OHL Cup when I talked to him, so I know it's not just us lol.

Nick Boka.. It's the same kinda pick as Josh Jacobs was. 1st round talent, not expected to commit so he dropped..

Andrew Peski.. I know there's speculation about his situation. I've been informed NCAA is his choice, which makes sense because he would have been gone in the first 25 picks or so. One of the most well rounded defensemen in the draft. If he ever changes his mind he could go down as the biggest steal of this draft.

Alex Black.. pushing six feet tall, but he isn't afraid of anyone, he will battle with whoever gets in his way. I wouldn't be surprised if he sees some action next year. Depends on a lot of things of course.

Some potential in their later picks, but all in all this was a great draft for Sarnia. They drafted from a "middle of the pack" position, but were definitely above average with their selections.

Paul Owen from The Observer posted this on Twitter on draft day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HEqLgUIdVc

This fight has been a bit of a buzz among scouts this year. Funny how both landed on the same team.

Sarnia's 2nd round pick 6'2" 200lb. Noah Bushnell vs. 6th round pick 5'11.75" 167lb Alex Black

Bushnell is #5 in Navy Blue, Black is #44 in White.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Glad we're on the same page Ryan

I wonder if Sarnia had plans to take Noah Carroll, a player I feel they were high on, with their 3rd round selection but quickly snatched up Schlichting when he fell to them. Carroll went 77tg (4th). I guess Sarnia could've picked him in the 4th instead of Fazio (69th) but I'm definitely glad they grabbed Fazio. Just a huge fan of his potential.

Last edited:

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
Thanks for the input on the recent draft...sounds like the Sting did very well and could have one of the better drafts if a few of the US committed kids change their minds. The Sting organization seems to do a great job to help influence these decisions.

I'm looking forward to the import draft...can't wait to see who Igor has lined up this year. Would be nice to see the team add some depth up the middle

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Justin Fazio (G) - 4th Rd, 69th - Ecstatic Sarnia grabbed Fazio. The scouting agencies I spoke to directly didn't have him rated as high as I would've (but that's probably from not viewing him enough in the Alliance). He looks as OHL ready as any G I've come across this season. He actually reminds me a lot of JP Anderson. Excellent at making that first save. Definitely has game-breaking ability. Great pick IMO!

First three picks where great, no doubt. Schlithing in the 3rd was a surprise.

Be careful with Fazio, he will need some time. OHL Central had him as a late round pick. He had a great OHL Cup, but struggled at some other tournaments and games when I watch him.

The best thing now is that he has the ability to prove those who doubt him. I hope the Sting allow him to play Jr. B next year and let him develop without pushing him ahead of where he was ready. He played on one of the best team in Ontario, let allow him to play with a team that doesn't possess the puck as much as the Chiefs did and play have similar results. When he does (and I hope that he does), then the Sting could have a good one.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
First three picks where great, no doubt. Schlithing in the 3rd was a surprise.

Be careful with Fazio, he will need some time. OHL Central had him as a late round pick. He had a great OHL Cup, but struggled at some other tournaments and games when I watch him.

The best thing now is that he has the ability to prove those who doubt him. I hope the Sting allow him to play Jr. B next year and let him develop without pushing him ahead of where he was ready. He played on one of the best team in Ontario, let allow him to play with a team that doesn't possess the puck as much as the Chiefs did and play have similar results. When he does (and I hope that he does), then the Sting could have a good one.

"Be Careful"...sure but I he has great potential and that means the Sting should be patient with him. I've watched a lot of minor midget action this season and he's right there with most of the top tier goaltenders IMO. After about 15 viewings of Elgin-Middlesex this season, I am quite confident in this kid's potential. He's got starting goaltender skills and poise.

OHL Central Scouting had him ranked as a late-round pick but that's not the end all be all. I have discussed with several scouts and they've got nothing but good things to say about Fazio.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
"Be Careful"...sure but I he has great potential and that means the Sting should be patient with him. I've watched a lot of minor midget action this season and he's right there with most of the top tier goaltenders IMO. After about 15 viewings of Elgin-Middlesex this season, I am quite confident in this kid's potential. He's got starting goaltender skills and poise.

OHL Central Scouting had him ranked as a late-round pick but that's not the end all be all. I have discussed with several scouts and they've got nothing but good things to say about Fazio.

Remember, there is no burden greater than that of potential.
charles schultz

truestingfan

Aug 11, 2011
What I like is depth. Something that Sarnia has not had in years although we are young. There will be lots of goalies at camp. Good luck to all. Nothing wrong with healthy completion.

Go Sting Go!

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Rookie camp was April 27th last year. If expect a similar time frame this year and an announcement in the coming weeks

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
Charlie Sarault

Congrats to Charlie, chosen Best OHL Overage Player. It was truly a pleasure to see this young man achieve so much in his last two years in the O. Shows what a change of scenery can do for a player. All the best to you Charlie in the future. We will surely miss you here next year. :handclap::handclap:

SarniaSting101

Aug 9, 2010
I heard no rookie camp this year. Just main camp.

I like to see the prospects have to compete against the vets as that is the reality of the game. As great as these kids are in midget, it is a whole new game when you are playing against 20 year olds. But in saying that there will not be a rookie camp, I would think there are not too many spots to be had in the end. I gather JB knows exactly who is he is going to use to fill the vacant spots, and those players will probably sign over the summer. I hope no unsigned player has too any hopes of the making the team in that case.

I heard some of the draft picks are in Sarnia this weekend. I am sure they are the chosen few that will be on the team come September.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
I like to see the prospects have to compete against the vets as that is the reality of the game. As great as these kids are in midget, it is a whole new game when you are playing against 20 year olds. But in saying that there will not be a rookie camp, I would think there are not too many spots to be had in the end. I gather JB knows exactly who is he is going to use to fill the vacant spots, and those players will probably sign over the summer. I hope no unsigned player has too any hopes of the making the team in that case.

I heard some of the draft picks are in Sarnia this weekend. I am sure they are the chosen few that will be on the team come September.

Do you know who those few draft picks are?

Aela*

Can anyone give me some insight into Goldobin? Really intrigued with this guy, but I know next to nothing about him.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
He is a great offence talent, terrible defensively.

I would agree is very good offensively ... great is a stretch. Many times he is invisible and is as lazy as has he is offensively. Needs a longer stick for corners. Fears contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->