Official Oil Kings 2017-18 Thread

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Jarry being Jarry. Gritty win vs a very skilled Tigers club. Getting Lazar back would be huge for our attack.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Portland 0-4. There are going to be a LOT of teams that are going to enjoy smack talking and beating up on the Hawks this season if this continues.

On the other side, Kelowna is probably going to rip right through the WHL this year.

Brandon looks very strong, Calgary should be in the mix when it's all said and done as well.

Oil Kings I expect to be a playoff contender, not sure if they have the depth to be a 50 win team again.

Oct 15, 2008
According to who? First time I've heard that. Maybe 4th in the division let alone the conference.

Any idea on when a decision might be made on the imports? I watched the game last night and thought the Tigers looked pretty good. But maybe the Oil Kings were tired from playing the night before and traveling. Jarry was outstanding.

My preference would be to keep the two forwards. I think the Oil Kings have a good shot to repeat as WHL champs this year. Then again I know nothing about the Czech kid. Can you tell us a bit about him? Could you proffer a guess as to what you think they might do?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
According to who? First time I've heard that. Maybe 4th in the division let alone the conference.

The guys on Shaw kept pumping their tires last season that this year would be a Championship contending year for the Tigers.

I think they're in the mix. Brandon, MH, Calgary (if they get their **** together), and Edmonton (if their young guys can give them enough depth). Regina, PA and RD are wild cards.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
I would not consider Regina a contender/wildcard either. Other than Brandon, no other teams compare to Edmonton, Calgary and Medicine Hat.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Portland is in a bit of trouble. 0-4 and down 6-3 in the third to Everett tonight. I know they are getting Bjorkstrand back (maybe Petan too?) but 0-5 is a deep hole to dig out of.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Nothing makes me happier than seeing Portland floundering.

Got the 18 ticket flex pack. Pretty excited.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Brandon just pulled off a huge steal of a trade from Lethbridge getting Duke and Erkamps. They have to be the East favorites now making it a very difficult task for the Oil Kings to win their 4th EC title in a row.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Has the reffing in the WHL always been so terrible? It's like the refs don't know whats going on half the time. You have an oil kings player that gets knocked into the net and the puck crosses the line but for some reason the goal is called back, no penalty for interference of any kind on either team, no video review.

Then you have a double minor for checking from behind where its clear that the player turned into it. Are you even allowed to call a double minor for a check, should it not be either 2 minutes or a major?

Either way bush league.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Has the reffing in the WHL always been so terrible? It's like the refs don't know whats going on half the time. You have an oil kings player that gets knocked into the net and the puck crosses the line but for some reason the goal is called back, no penalty for interference of any kind on either team, no video review.

Then you have a double minor for checking from behind where its clear that the player turned into it. Are you even allowed to call a double minor for a check, should it not be either 2 minutes or a major?

Either way bush league.

It's incredibly frustrating, especially so when one of the refs has it in for your team.

Tigers leading 3-1 after 2. We could be in it, but couldn't convert a 2PP and got scored on shortly afterwards. We're going to be offensively challenged against great goaltenders like Marek Langhammer. Unfortunately, as perfect as Jarry was on Saturday, he's helpless tonight as the Tigers are really finishing well. Vanelli is one heck of a player, the Tigers missed him last contest.

We really need Lazar back. We have too many guys who didn't play much of a role last year that are being asked to play way above their capabilities on offense. Kulda and Eller are having a tough go of it against strong checking.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Got my 18 ticket flex pack yesterday. Totally didn't know it came with a signed picture of Lazar.

Now just to pick what games I want to see. I know for sure the December game against Kelowna is on my radar.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
How much did that set you back?

It's $340, so it comes out to less than $20 a ticket. You can redeem the vouchers for any regular season game, getting the best available side seats (section behind the penalty boxes, and two sections on either side of the club section behind the benches).

Once I get back to work and get a new job working day shift, I'd like to look into season seats.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Oil Kings are playing Chase and the Hitmen on shaw right now, Irving with his first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad