Official offseason trades, signings, proposals thread II

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
NHL.com says that Rocco Grimaldi had an arbitration hearing on Sunday and is the only remaining player without a contract. The other 2 hearings from Sunday were announced earlier today. ??? What’s that all about?

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
NHL.com says that Rocco Grimaldi had an arbitration hearing on Sunday and is the only remaining player without a contract. The other 2 hearings from Sunday were announced earlier today. ??? What’s that all about?
Never mind

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
With us being close to the cap limit Poile wanted to pay Grimaldi as little as possible. 1M is what I thought he'd end up with. We now have 1.3M in cap space left. We'll have to waive a forward if there are no injuries but this is probably the closest we've ever been to the cap ceiling.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
1x1 for grimaldi, not sure why that needed a hearing
Yeah, I think we put that in our budgets like 4 months ago. I thought maybe the ploy of the Preds' 2-way submission might sneak it a little below that but $1M is bang-on fair.

With $2M in cap space, it seems a little unnecessary to go through the process to try to shave $100k or so off. But maybe they thought they could push things and reach a pre-hearing agreement on something more like the Weber/Irwin 2-year specials.

So now we get to switch to the Josi extension as our top obsession?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Does it make me insane I'm already planning for training camp with my '52 card pick up training camp cards?'

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't put too much into the locker room cancer thing. If Fiala was a cancer and guys didn't like him, would he have been at Josi's wedding? Sometimes guys don't truly like one another and they need to be moved. I didn't get that sense about Fiala or PK.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
PK wasnt a "cancer" and he wasnt run out of town. But, we had to move some salary to make room for Duchene. PK Was the only real choice. Ellis wasnt going to get moved even before his extension kicked in, especially not after an underwhelming season. Bonino by himself wouldnt have made enough room.

When you have that background plus the question that PK may be starting his downhill slide physically, that's more than enough explanation for why he was traded.

That said, I suspect(pure speculation) that there are at least a few guys who are not at all upset that hes and his act are gone...

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
There's a clown (in a good way) in almost if not every team. They bring good laugh and some life into the dressing room. Working hard as a hockey player and focusing on your brand instead of other things guys do on their spare time doesn't rule each other out. I believe that as long as PK shows commitment and hard work towards the team, guys couldn't care less if he went to a talk show or an amusement park with friends/family on his day off.

It's funny how some people can blame someone else's poor performance on a wearing effect of tight schedule and then go on and rant how PK should focus more on training than his brand.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm just getting ready to blame Duchene now if his country career interferes with his play. You can't have a guy making $10M and getting 65 pts and walking around in some godawful new country faux cowboy getup with a guitar slung across his back. There's gotta be something carcinogenic about that!
o_O

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
PK wasnt a "cancer" and he wasnt run out of town. But, we had to move some salary to make room for Duchene. PK Was the only real choice. Ellis wasnt going to get moved even before his extension kicked in, especially not after an underwhelming season. Bonino by himself wouldnt have made enough room.

When you have that background plus the question that PK may be starting his downhill slide physically, that's more than enough explanation for why he was traded.

That said, I suspect(pure speculation) that there are at least a few guys who are not at all upset that hes and his act are gone...
Perfectly stated.

Reactions: PredsV82

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm just getting ready to blame Duchene now if his country career interferes with his play. You can't have a guy making $10M and getting 65 pts and walking around in some godawful new country faux cowboy getup with a guitar slung across his back. There's gotta be something carcinogenic about that!
o_O

Um...that would make every Preds post 2010 carcinogenic. No worries, if you can handle personality, YOU are the problem.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't put too much into the locker room cancer thing. If Fiala was a cancer and guys didn't like him, would he have been at Josi's wedding? Sometimes guys don't truly like one another and they need to be moved. I didn't get that sense about Fiala or PK.
Fiala: My understanding was that Fiala didn't like how he was being used or his role in the team. He can have a beef with Coach Lavi without it having anything to do with the other players. That said.... I'd love to have Fiala next to Duchene next season along with the capspace Fiala instead of Granlund would provide in this season and beyond.

Reactions: NNCbama

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Ristolainen is asking to be traded, do we offer up Ellis for a Hockey trade?

Although I do like the upgrade in size and physicality he would bring I think overall Ristolainen is worse than Ellis so I don't see the appeal for us. Sure we get out of the later years of Ellis's contract, but making ourselves worse during our window to achieve that doesn't make much sense to me.

Outside of that I don't really see why Buffalo would want to make that move either since part of why Ristolainen wants out is that they already have a logjam at RD.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ristolainen seems to have some... issues. It's not easy to parse them out. He seems to have a bit of a victim complex atm. He definitely seems to have some issues defensively on the ice too. How much of all that is correctable with a change of scenery, who knows. Flip side, he's big, young, talented.

I don't think we could gamble on trading Ellis for him, though. I mean, already I'm scared our RD situation is too thin. Ellis has ample flaws too, of course. But if you move him out, you're just bringing Ristolainen back into a situation where he has to play 25+ minutes a night in all situations, with a lot of pressure on him, and isn't that supposed to be part of the reason he has struggled for the Sabres?

So I'd be ok bringing in Ristolainen, just not in a trade for Ellis (and anyway, Buffalo has lots of depth on D so it's probably not where they are looking anyway). Bringing Risto in to play BEHIND Ellis is more what I'd be looking at. Maybe we could pull the minutes back a little on both of them that way. Give him a little chance to work out his issues while sharing some time with Fabbro.

But anyway, with his contract, the Seattle draft, all that... it's not like we would be wise to pay much of a premium to acquire Ristolainen at the moment either. I think the Sabres are within their rights to take those positive traits he has - size, youth, skill - and aim for a strong return. They do seem to be looking for a #2/3 Center. And in our situation, Turris and Bonino are both a little redundant now with Duchene signed and Sissons locked up. But Turris or Bonino aren't going to be attractive enough pieces alone for the Sabres, even with the positional fit. So I don't know where to go from there. I don't want to throw any of our most valuable futures in with one of them on a short-term gamble on Ristolainen.

If they ever got totally fed up with Ristolainen and just plain desperate to move him, of course I'd very cheerfully send them Turris or Bonino plus some non-significant throw-ins for him. Maybe at most a 2nd round pick. But that's about it. I just don't see us paying a "fair" price for him, though. He'd have to be firesaled at some kind of crazy bargain, given our current situation on D and with expansion looming. :dunno:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Ristolainen is asking to be traded, do we offer up Ellis for a Hockey trade?
I woouldnt be totally against going after risto. Dont know what the ask would be though and we would need to dump bonino to make the cap work but I think he could benefit a lot playing with ekholm. Maybe bonino prospect and nj 2nd .It would give fabbro another year to develop on the 3rd pair and options for next year. I'm still wondering how were gonna protect 7-3 for the expansion draft. You would think that josi, ekholm, and fabbro( if he shows out) are all protected. Joey Forsberg arvi Duchene tolvanen granlund and someone else are all protected. Is Ellis the odd man out? If so do you look to trade him next off-season?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I woouldnt be totally against going after risto. Dont know what the ask would be though and we would need to dump bonino to make the cap work but I think he could benefit a lot playing with ekholm. Maybe bonino prospect and nj 2nd .It would give fabbro another year to develop on the 3rd pair and options for next year. I'm still wondering how were gonna protect 7-3 for the expansion draft. You would think that josi, ekholm, and fabbro( if he shows out) are all protected. Joey Forsberg arvi Duchene tolvanen granlund and someone else are all protected. Is Ellis the odd man out? If so do you look to trade him next off-season?
I believe we concluded somewhere in one of these threads a few weeks back that Tolvanen was going to be Seattle exempt. Yay!

But yes, I reckon we'll get to pick over the bone of the expansion list for the next couple of years. Should be fun. As of today I think most of us would agree to exposing Ellis, assuming that Fabbro doesn't "go Blum". But who knows what the next two seasons will bring.

It's hard to imagine that JOFA-Duchene won't chew up the first 4 F slots no matter what. Then I guess we just have to wait and see how our remaining forwards stack up against whoever is #4 on D at the time.

I don't think I'd pre-emptively trade players AWAY based on the Seattle concern. There's still just too much time for things to evolve with the incumbents. But I'd definitely be thinking about it in any situation where we were looking to ACQUIRE a younger contracted player who might conceivably factor in to the expansion scheme, like Ristolainen would. It would place limits on what I was willing to give up to acquire such players, knowing that we might lose them - or other key players instead - after just 2 seasons.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
It's pointless to speculate about the expansion draft now. There are so many variables and things that will change between now and then. Does Turris bounce back? What happens with Smith and Granlund? Is Fabbro for real?

That being said I think we go with Johansen, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Duchene, Granlund, Josi, Ekholm, Fabbro.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->