Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with forward Emerson Etem

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
was hoping Etem would get signed for 2 years, if he has a breakout year he'll be looking to double up or more. And we have Kreider, Hayes, and Yandle to already worry about next year.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I agree that it's ridiculous the terms aren't released immediately. What's the point?

i dunno, maybe it's ridiculous that obsessive fans feel entitled that the terms be released immediately. What's the point?

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
hopefully the other non-Stepan RFA's - Miller, Fast, McIlrath, Bodie -
sign quickly like these first 4 (Etem, Oscar today, Hellberg, Hrivik last week)

Miller and Fast both received Q/O of around $900k (miller a bit higher).

I guess the fact they have not signed means Gorton is trying to negotiate something longer giving them a little more $$ and buying up an arbitration year?
2 yrs @ $1.4 for Miller, 2 yrs @ 1.1 for Fast??

Just throwing a guess out there.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
“@PLeonardNYDN: #NYR deal for Lindberg is two years, $650K per. Etem signed to qualifying offer of one-year, $850,500 #NHLâ€

Lindberg will be a steal at this amount, particularly in the second year. Hopefully Etem is a steal at $850 too.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
i dunno, maybe it's ridiculous that obsessive fans feel entitled that the terms be released immediately. What's the point?

I dunno, maybe it's ridiculous that you feel the need to lash out and attack people who don't share your opinion on something so completely mundane?

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Both these terms are great! Though I agree it would've been nice to get a 2yr out of Etem. I think he's gonna be great for us.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lindberg will be a steal at this amount, particularly in the second year. Hopefully Etem is a steal at $850 too.

Could become expensive next summer though... Would definitely have preferred a two year deal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Miller and Fast both received Q/O of around $900k (miller a bit higher).

I guess the fact they have not signed means Gorton is trying to negotiate something longer giving them a little more $$ and buying up an arbitration year?
2 yrs @ $1.4 for Miller, 2 yrs @ 1.1 for Fast??

Just throwing a guess out there.

If Miller gets 1.4m we have a worse GM than Boston

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Etem is RFA again next year? Wish we got him for more than a year. If he breaks out we're in deep ****.

Lindberg contract is a steal.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They wouldve likely had to have given Etem more to get him signed to a 2 year deal. Rangers couldnt afford to do that for this season. If Etem breaks out next year Rangers will be paying him a nice raise from the $850K. The flip side of it is, you'd prefer to be giving him a raise on a longer term deal with his previous pay being $850K as opposed to $1 million or more

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Etem is RFA again next year? Wish we got him for more than a year. If he breaks out we're in deep ****.

Don't think so. Even if he breaks out with a 20-20 performance next season he still wouldn't get more than 2.5 on a bridge term due to his lack of a track record.

Look what Kreider got posting similar regular season production coming off his ELC.

gortontime*

It will be funny when he becomes a 25-25 guy here in NY and all the Ducks fans sit there with a stupid expression on their face.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't think so. Even if he breaks out with a 20-20 performance next season he still wouldn't get more than 2.5 on a bridge term due to his lack of a track record.

Look what Kreider got posting similar regular season production coming off his ELC.

I don't think we'll have 2.5

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Both these comments are right on the money.

Lindberg's contract is a steal, plain and simple. He better get significant playing time up here.

And Etem is a case where I feel like he'll break out and we'll have another guy we need to deal with next offseasno on our hands. This could get ugly, Hayes and Kreider will likely both get huge raises, and Etem can be a wild card as well. Well, I hope the front office knows what they're doing...

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hear in mind that this could very well be Etem gambling on himself. The Rangers could have offered, say, $1.2MM x 2, and he may have simply decided to sign the QO because he believes he'll be in position to ask for $2.5MM+ next year.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Both these comments are right on the money.

Lindberg's contract is a steal, plain and simple. He better get significant playing time up here.

And Etem is a case where I feel like he'll break out and we'll have another guy we need to deal with next offseasno on our hands. This could get ugly, Hayes and Kreider will likely both get huge raises, and Etem can be a wild card as well. Well, I hope the front office knows what they're doing...

Lindberg and Bourque combined make less than Glass...

Again, very close to spelling the end of Tanner Glass... Fingers crossed?

Remember that Etem could be extended in January if they start to see some solid play. buying out RFA and UFA years is possible, but again, Etem has no track record, so he's only going to be worth, at most, double what he is paid now.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Lindberg and Bourque combined make less than Glass...

Again, very close to spelling the end of Tanner Glass... Fingers crossed?

Remember that Etem could be extended in January if they start to see some solid play. buying out RFA and UFA years is possible, but again, Etem has no track record, so he's only going to be worth, at most, double what he is paid now.

The kid is 23 years old and hasn't played a full season in the NHL yet. I think it's way too early to be talking about extensions and buying out UFA years, regardless of how well Etem's playing in the first three months of the season.

Maybe March....;)

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
If everyone breaks out the way we're all fearing, someone like Nash becomes expendable.

Why are we fearing that young players with potential may break out and become solid NHLers? That's how organizations build wlnning teams (including the Rangers). Much rather have to trade Nash to keep a bunch of breakout players than have to fill out the roster every year with has-beens hoping to make a comeback or players who "just need a change of screnery" to "regain" or find their potential.

I realize you're worried about the salary cap, but that's something that we can worry about next summer--after a bang-up season. There is only so much you can do about that now and I think the organization has done what it can do at this point.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why are we fearing that young players with potential may break out and become solid NHLers? That's how organizations build wlnning teams (including the Rangers). Much rather have to trade Nash to keep a bunch of breakout players than have to fill out the roster every year with has-beens hoping to make a comeback or players who "just need a change of screnery" to "regain" or find their potential.

I realize you're worried about the salary cap, but that's something that we can worry about next summer--after a bang-up season. There is only so much you can do about that now and I think the organization has done what it can do at this point.

I agree.

I'd rather get less than ideal value for a player who has made the jump, then get nothing for a player who hasn't.

The odds strongly suggest not everyone breaks out. In fact, even a 40 percent success rate would have to be considered an accomplishment.

I'm not worried about hypotheticals - we'll know what we've got by early December, if not sooner. Then we can make informed decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad