Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR agree to terms with forward Marek Hrivik.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@HartnettHockey: #NYR prospect Marek Hrivik collected 33 points (12 goals and 21 assists) in 72 games for the Hartford Wolf Pack of the #AHL in 2014-15.”

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There was a time when Hrivik presented some interesting possibilities, but his play as been stuck on a plateau for a couple of years now.

He could still potentially turn himself into a solid AHL scorer, but the expectation for him to potentially develop into an NHL player is pretty remote at this point.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
There was a time when Hrivik presented some interesting possibilities, but his play as been stuck on a plateau for a couple of years now.
He could still potentially turn himself into a solid AHL scorer, but the expectation for him to potentially develop into an NHL player is pretty remote at this point.

He had a strong 2d half and playoffs, most of his points then, and played as a top 2 C those months. I see him right in the mix as callup or 14th F at W with RyBo, Adam, Megna, Gibbons, Lindblad,

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

I dunno, I think he's one of those guys who's reinvented himself. I think if he ever got a shot at 4th line duties, he could stick somewhere. He's excellent in the corners and on defense.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
AHL lifer...his size and boardwork is nice but he lacks the speed and skill it takes to really do anything at the NHL level

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Good AHL signing. I was never high on him as some posters here were, never really saw a NHL career for him.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
4th line wing material perhaps?

he could come in there, if that's the opening - decent defensively, experienced on PK, NHL size, good along boards.
I do recall an off-balance instinctive quick-release scoring shot in preseason

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not much upside, but an honest 4th line utility player. Maybe the NHL coaching staff gets more out of him, I think he offers more than RyBo who is a quick skater, but really is a matter of systems fit for that 13th and 14th forward.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I disagree. I've watched an enormous amount of the guy since we signed him and have always maintained his production is not a reflection of his talent. I think you could stick him on an NHL third or fourth line right now and he would flourish. I really can't explain why he hasn't produced better numbers over the past two seasons, since he's noticeable (in a good way) every night and he does a lot of the little things right.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up playing in a couple hundred NHL games before all is said and done. It might not be with us, and he may go back to Europe first, but I definitely believe he has the ability. He was one of the few worthwhile forwards down in Hartford last season, paucity in production notwithstanding.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
4th line wing material seems on target. He's a guy who works the corners and boards fine. He'll have to effectively penalty kill if he plays in the NHL. 89 shots on goal last year for a 2nd/3rd liner. The year before his shot numbers were low as well. He's got no upside above 4th line in the NHL IMO.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
4th line wing material seems on target. He's a guy who works the corners and boards fine. He'll have to effectively penalty kill if he plays in the NHL. 89 shots on goal last year for a 2nd/3rd liner. The year before his shot numbers were low as well. He's got no upside above 4th line in the NHL IMO.

It's sort of ironic he came in as a scorer, and everyone expected him to do that, but his defensive game wasn't great. Kenny did a great job of turning him into a checker, then a center, and then a top 6 center in the AHL.

He doesn't shoot or generate enough to be a top 9 guy, but he also doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Bodies the man, protects the puck when he has it on his stick down low (possession guys get excited... wait scratch that he doesn't try shooting enough... guess he sucks at possession), blocks shots, and has gotten better on draws.

IMO he simply offers more than RyBo, but the latter has speed. The staff will have to decide what they prefer since both are waiver eligible... although they'd probably both pass through. Do you take a utility guy with size that can play a 200 foot game and give you some physicality and versatility... or do you go with the smaller speed guy that can also play a 200 foot game and force the play to move faster?

Last years team would have definitely taken the speedster, but given how this upcoming team just lost two smaller quicker players and replaced them with thicker north south speedsters... I think Marek has a better shot.

I know we're really talking about the 13th or 14th forward here, but if I had to choose between RyBo and Marek, I'd go with Marek. He's more of a playoff type forward than RyBo. Teams need guys that can be versatile.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's sort of ironic he came in as a scorer, and everyone expected him to do that, but his defensive game wasn't great. Kenny did a great job of turning him into a checker, then a center, and then a top 6 center in the AHL.

He doesn't shoot or generate enough to be a top 9 guy, but he also doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Bodies the man, protects the puck when he has it on his stick down low (possession guys get excited... wait scratch that he doesn't try shooting enough... guess he sucks at possession), blocks shots, and has gotten better on draws.

IMO he simply offers more than RyBo, but the latter has speed. The staff will have to decide what they prefer since both are waiver eligible... although they'd probably both pass through. Do you take a utility guy with size that can play a 200 foot game and give you some physicality and versatility... or do you go with the smaller speed guy that can also play a 200 foot game and force the play to move faster?

Last years team would have definitely taken the speedster, but given how this upcoming team just lost two smaller quicker players and replaced them with thicker north south speedsters... I think Marek has a better shot.

I know we're really talking about the 13th or 14th forward here, but if I had to choose between RyBo and Marek, I'd go with Marek. He's more of a playoff type forward than RyBo. Teams need guys that can be versatile.

I agree. Ryan Bourque anyway is not made to be a 4th line player who grinds. We have a smaller type center in Moore for that line and I don't want two small guys. Hrivik has the size and strength where he could fill that kind of role. Penalty killing though is going to be key. Hrivik if he's going to make it is going to have make himself as useful as possible.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

^This. NYR will look hard into him for this upcoming season.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I disagree. I've watched an enormous amount of the guy since we signed him and have always maintained his production is not a reflection of his talent. I think you could stick him on an NHL third or fourth line right now and he would flourish. I really can't explain why he hasn't produced better numbers over the past two seasons, since he's noticeable (in a good way) every night and he does a lot of the little things right.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up playing in a couple hundred NHL games before all is said and done. It might not be with us, and he may go back to Europe first, but I definitely believe he has the ability. He was one of the few worthwhile forwards down in Hartford last season, paucity in production notwithstanding.

Probably will work out like a Dale Weise 2.0. The Rangers will be pressed by capspace and waiver eligibility and will be forced to move him to a team that has been watching him for awhile (as Vancouver inquired about Weise multiple times -- poor Dale, b/c he was shortly thrown right back at Torts who didn't care for him).

What you have to love about Hrivik is his boards and corner play. Throw a puck into a corner and he'll either come out with it, or sure as hell tie up the other player. Those little plays don't show up on the score sheet, but most certainly drive possession.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I have to admit, right now I don't really see it.

When I see guys who project as solid bottom six players, I think of Fast, Lindberg, etc. With Hrivik, I see a guy who might get a call-up on a team lacking options and looking for a quick plug-in, but unless something changes there are going to be other options that bring better components to the role - at least as currently and at least on good teams.

Even a guy like Dale Weise, who never really project much beyond a fourth liner showed me a bit more and produced at a better clip.

Again, I don't see it at this point. But the reality is that any argument would be splitting hairs when we're talking about a fourth line upside for a soon to be 24 year old player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad