Official Nick Bjugstad Appreciation Thread

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Bjugstad has looked like a poor mans Eric Lindros these last 10 games which is pretty damn good. Like someone else said he is showing some what of a new mean streak to him and since the game has started to slow down for him he looks more confident and is starting to bully other players with his size during the whistle and after the whistle blows. I think he always had that in him but he was still learning before and that facet of his character on the ice had yet to show. I think we're going to see more physical play and meanness from him as the year goes on and hey perhaps we'll start calling him "Big train" Bjugstad. :yo:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Bjugstad has looked like a poor mans Eric Lindros these last 10 games which is pretty damn good. Like someone else said he is showing some what of a new mean streak to him and since the game has started to slow down for him he looks more confident and is starting to bully other players with his size during the whistle and after the whistle blows. I think he always had that in him but he was still learning before and that facet of his character on the ice had yet to show. I think we're going to see more physical play and meanness from him as the year goes on and hey perhaps we'll start calling him "Big train" Bjugstad. :yo:

meh, he is very very far from lindros... just because he's big doesnt mean he's close to lindros. he havent fought nor have he thrown a super big hit yet

but yes

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
He has developed so much since last season and it's great to see. I've noticed him a lot more over the last few weeks all over the place making plays and getting into opponent's faces. I hope it only continues at this speed from here. I'm not sure if he's going to be a top player such as Lindros was or Eric Staal or Joe Thornton, but certainly one that we've needed for quite some time.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I think severely ubderrated is his speed. Lots of commentators and other fans say he is "fast for his size" simply not true. He is just plain fast. Vs the Oilers he managed to dump the puck in the zone and was on the puck before the Oil d-men were at the goal line. Against the Avs he drew the penalty by beating the Avs d-man covering near twice the distance.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
He has developed so much since last season and it's great to see. I've noticed him a lot more over the last few weeks all over the place making plays and getting into opponent's faces. I hope it only continues at this speed from here. I'm not sure if he's going to be a top player such as Lindros was or Eric Staal or Joe Thornton, but certainly one that we've needed for quite some time.

You really can see a difference once he realized that he could use his size to his advantage. Once he gains experience, and continues to develop physically, he is going to be one tough SOB to play against. We should all be excited about the future possibilities with him and Barkov as our top two centers.

And lets not get carried away here, there should be NO Lindros comparisons here.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I talked to a few Avs fans since the game on Saturday. They were all impressed by the way Bjugstad moves with his size and weight. The way he turns on a dime and still able to control the puck. Just keep doing what you're doing Nick!

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I think it´s a great situation for Bjugstad to see a guy like Barkov, who is 3 years younger, come to the league and be able to play the center position right of the bat. I think it´s going to push him even harder and help him (or both of them) develop. Competition is always good.

I´ve been most impressed with his decision making and maturity with the puck. I think the chemistry between him and Huby is pretty obvious and looks like they are having fun out there.

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site
Someone with photoshop skill needs to put Bjugstad's face on the Juggernaut's body. Make it happen!

Extra credit: put a hockey stick in his hands.

Ask and you shall receive.
Bjugstad_Juggernaut.jpg

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I think it´s a great situation for Bjugstad to see a guy like Barkov, who is 3 years younger, come to the league and be able to play the center position right of the bat. I think it´s going to push him even harder and help him (or both of them) develop. Competition is always good.

I´ve been most impressed with his decision making and maturity with the puck. I think the chemistry between him and Huby is pretty obvious and looks like they are having fun out there.

It's going to take time to break the NCAA mold within NB's game. Awareness is huge. Also, he's playing systems for the first time. I think he's going to slow up at the 50 game mark. Remember, he's never played 82 straight games before..

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
It's going to take time to break the NCAA mold within NB's game. Awareness is huge. Also, he's playing systems for the first time. I think he's going to slow up at the 50 game mark. Remember, he's never played 82 straight games before..

Yep, same is going to happen to Barky. But to heck with that atleast these guys are showing a lot of potential.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Yep, same is going to happen to Barky. But to heck with that atleast these guys are showing a lot of potential.

barkov did play nearly 80 games last year, that's with a slower game in FEL though. barkov will likely play in the olympics so i guess it'll be close to 90-95 games

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I was so right about my Bjugstad's views the past couple years. My Markstrom's views have taken a hit. I'm still going to stand by both these players through thick and thin though.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I'm not surprised at all by how he is playing. Since we drafted him I've been watching him play at the Univ. of Minn. and I was sold. I still don't think people know how skilled he is.

If you watched Getzlaf in the WHL/early years with Ducks...as well seeing Bjugs play with Minnesota it's hard not to get pumped about his progression:handclap:

You guys still have not mentioned one of the strongest points of his game and often overlooked in the NHL today. His ability like Getzlaf to be a ONE MAN CYCLE MACHINE, and have 2-3 players following him around the ice and leaning on him, which opens up multiple players on the ice. NASTY!

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

The B Train. ;)

I think severely ubderrated is his speed. Lots of commentators and other fans say he is "fast for his size" simply not true. He is just plain fast. Vs the Oilers he managed to dump the puck in the zone and was on the puck before the Oil d-men were at the goal line. Against the Avs he drew the penalty by beating the Avs d-man covering near twice the distance.

Bjugstad has worked really hard on his skating over the past 3 years. He was always fast for his size, but yes now he's just plain fast. The one area of skating he is freakishly good at for his size though is his agility. He can move like a 5'10" guy out there, and while his moves wouldn't be particularly impressive for a smaller forward, for a 6'6" behemoth they are extremely impressive. That has always stood out for me. Not only does he have a condor-like wingspan, he can open up space for himself with his skating as well. In a couple years, this kid is going to be a nightmare to try to get the puck away from.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
NB will get better over time.. Check out Getzlaf, Thornton and Kopitar's progression through their first 3 years in the NHL:

Getzlaf: 179 PTS in 216 GMS
Thornton: 108 PTS in 217 GMS
Kopitar: 204 PTS in 236 GMS

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
#1 Centerman for The Cats....

Hey guys,

I know at the start of the season alot of people pegged Bjugstad to spend the season in the AHL this year and then hopefully become the Cats #3 or maybe #2 Centerman of the future. Last night vs. the Canucks was the first time this season I have seen the Panthers play live on tv(hard to catch Panther games in Canada!) and I was wondering something... Was that a typical game for Bjugstad? Or was this one of his bettergames? Cause I honestly thought he was the best and most effective player not only on the Panthers,but also in the whole game. And it was obvious he coaches thought the same thing cause it seemed lke he was on the ice every other shift and in the dying seconds of the game and OT. I was VERY impressed. To me he didnt look like a#2 or #3 Centerman or even a AHL type player... He lookedlike easily the #1 Centerman and a complete stud. Great draft pick for you guys!!

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Hey guys,

I know at the start of the season alot of people pegged Bjugstad to spend the season in the AHL this year and then hopefully become the Cats #3 or maybe #2 Centerman of the future. Last night vs. the Canucks was the first time this season I have seen the Panthers play live on tv(hard to catch Panther games in Canada!) and I was wondering something... Was that a typical game for Bjugstad? Or was this one of his bettergames? Cause I honestly thought he was the best and most effective player not only on the Panthers,but also in the whole game. And it was obvious he coaches thought the same thing cause it seemed lke he was on the ice every other shift and in the dying seconds of the game and OT. I was VERY impressed. To me he didnt look like a#2 or #3 Centerman or even a AHL type player... He lookedlike easily the #1 Centerman and a complete stud. Great draft pick for you guys!!

Yes, he's been outstanding lately.. Not just that game. He has confidence now.. His skating for his size is what's most impressive. Last night he was showing his patience and playmaking abilities, but he's also a great scorer. Gonna be really good.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
typical game for bjugstad, not his best so far though, that came vs avs i'd say

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
He's had much better games, and ya, that was a typical Bjustad performance. Ceiling is sky high for him (did you see what I did there!!??)

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
He's breaking out for sure. Getting in that confidence every game and learning how to use his size and skill at this level. Every game he seems to be improving.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
It's still way too early to predict what his true ceiling is, but, his play is leading me to believe he could be a top line center one day.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The sad thing is, some people probably have no clue how he's been playing the last 10 games and still think he's "the next Brian Boyle". :shakehead

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ya he was great.. not only offensive wise but id see him throughout the game battling in the defensive zone and helping all over the ice. Seems like when there were scoring chances all game for Florida he was always involved. Hes such a big and young guy and is going to continue filling out even bigger. Real impressed with his skating too

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Right now he's the #1 centerman due to both his play and remember that he is older than Barkov, though both rookies, Bjugstad went to college first and was drafted with Gudbranson, so Nick has slightly more experience (along with the handful of games he played last year).

That said, the idea going forward is to make Bjugstad and Barkov a 1-2 punch, not necessarily in that order. Both have been real impressive so far this season and the sky is the limit for them.

And this is after coming back from a concussion during training camp no less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad