Official Nick Bjugstad Appreciation Thread

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I am beyond impressed with this kid. Last season during his 10 game stint I was convinced he needed some seasoning in the AHL this season.

The kid has come out like a man possessed this year, especially since the coaching chance and the influx of ice time.

Juggernaut is quickly becoming my favorite Panthers prospect. I was excited for him for quite some time, but after watching Barkov, Hubs and Bjugs, I have to say Bjugs has me the most excited. Not because I'm taking away anything from Barkov and Hubby because they are both going to be special talents as well, but holy **** Bjugstad is something else.

Guys like him come around very rarely in the NHL. Think Eric Staal or Joe Thornton. Big, tough, and can actually play hockey. This kid makes great passes, stickhandles extremely well, can turn on a dime, and has a very heavy shot. He is an extremely rare talent at 6'6.

We have never had a prospect or better yet, a player like him in our organization. When teams and fans around the NHL start taking notice of him, they will be extremely jealous of the 1-2 punch we have down the middle. Barkov and Bjugstad give us NOT a 2A and 2B centers like we've been accustomed to. They give us two first line centers, and some NHL teams wait 20 years for one.

Please DT, just surround them with the right players and watch these kids explode onto the scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yup. Always thought he would of been on the opening roster last year, if there was no lockout.

Dude may not be a PPG player, but, he looks like he can be a great 2 way player that can cause havoc all over the ice.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
His growth from his 11 games last year is unreal. I think it was v the Leafs where got caught caught flat-footed on the back check, that tempered my expectation for this season thinking he needed AHL time. He has shattered my expectation. His speed, shot, 2-way play is astounding. He also is developing a mean side to his game, he is always in scrums shoving with other players in the crease.

He is a game breaking talent, no doubt.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
There were a fair bit of posters calling for him to be traded which has me perplexed. The kid is here for a long time, no doubt about it.

I'm still loving the idea of Tallon inquiring about Wayne Simmonds and what it would take to get him.

Flash + Robak and a 2014 2nd rounder

FOR

Wayne Simmonds.

Huberdeau - Bjugstad - Simmonds
Top 6 Free agent/Bergy - Barkov - Trocheck

would be amazing to see starting next year.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Every game we play I always take a glance at the opposing teams GDT. Pretty much every game since he's been up with us I've seen at least 1-2 posters mention him with a "that Bjugstad kid is a beast" or something along those lines.

Pretty much tells me all I need to know when other fans are recognizing some of our prospects. He's been incredible, manhandles guys along the boards consistently, solid in the dot so far and looks much more comfortable out there than before. If we ever get him and Barkov the wingers they need were going to be a pretty scary squad.

The only thing I'm afraid of is Tallon bringing in all these big kids with the assumption that they're going to turn out like Bjugstad, because that probably won't be the case. Dude is definitely a special player from what we've seen based off using his size the right way and the skill to go with it.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Yup. Always thought he would of been on the opening roster last year, if there was no lockout.

Dude may not be a PPG player, but, he looks like he can be a great 2 way player that can cause havoc all over the ice.

meh, he wanted to stay and play in minnesota... which i really adore. shows how much he'll give up to play for the team with a special place. hopefully, florida can be that team and he'll stay here forever

i think bjugstad can pan out a 60-70 point two-way force. not at the same level as bergeron etc, but i do think he can become an elite defensive 60p center with great size. since he shoots right he posses a rare faceoff side

Last edited:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
After last season I wanted him to start this season in SA. Then he had the incredible rookie tourney but got hurt. I still wanted him to start in SA when he was healthy enough to play. Now though, he is beasting up here.

Simmonds might make that line scary. Then again, if Flash would start scoring like he can, that would be scary also.

-ghoste

Jan 19, 2006
A highly touted Panthers prospect who exceeds expectations?

That's about as common as finding a unicorn.

We've been looking for a big center with strong puck possession skills who attacks the net for years.

The prospect is THAT GUY?

That's like finding a flying technicolor unicorn that poops out diamonds.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
He has impressed dramatically. He uses his size to move around players and never gives up. He is going to be very good sooner than later.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'm not surprised at all by how he is playing. Since we drafted him I've been watching him play at the Univ. of Minn. and I was sold. I still don't think people know how skilled he is.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
I am beyond impressed with this kid. Last season during his 10 game stint I was convinced he needed some seasoning in the AHL this season.

The kid has come out like a man possessed this year, especially since the coaching chance and the influx of ice time.

Juggernaut is quickly becoming my favorite Panthers prospect. I was excited for him for quite some time, but after watching Barkov, Hubs and Bjugs, I have to say Bjugs has me the most excited. Not because I'm taking away anything from Barkov and Hubby because they are both going to be special talents as well, but holy **** Bjugstad is something else.

Guys like him come around very rarely in the NHL. Think Eric Staal or Joe Thornton. Big, tough, and can actually play hockey. This kid makes great passes, stickhandles extremely well, can turn on a dime, and has a very heavy shot. He is an extremely rare talent at 6'6.

We have never had a prospect or better yet, a player like him in our organization. When teams and fans around the NHL start taking notice of him, they will be extremely jealous of the 1-2 punch we have down the middle. Barkov and Bjugstad give us NOT a 2A and 2B centers like we've been accustomed to. They give us two first line centers, and some NHL teams wait 20 years for one.

Please DT, just surround them with the right players and watch these kids explode onto the scene.

Love the comparison to Staal and Jumbo Joe. I'd say that is his ceiling and worst case scenario he is an awesome third line center, can't complain either way. I can't wait for our team 2-3 years down the road when our center depth consists of Bjuggernaut, Barkov, Shore, and Trocheck. I get the feeling Trocheck will be moved to wing and possibly Shore too, but either way we will be big down the middle which is an area we have been weakest at in recent years.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
Don't think he'll be more if a playmaker though. He seems more of a "shoot first" centre. I think he plays more to Getzlaf's style.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Don't think he'll be more if a playmaker though. He seems more of a "shoot first" centre. I think he plays more to Getzlaf's style.

Yah, I was more alluding to the idea of "size and skill" rather than the playmaker label.

I agree completely with the Getzlaf comparison, although Juggernaut is a better skater IMO.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Yah, I was more alluding to the idea of "size and skill" rather than the playmaker label.

I agree completely with the Getzlaf comparison, although Juggernaut is a better skater IMO.

Everything in these last two posts has been exactly right. They have identical frames (Bjugs being a couple inches taller), same handedness which is important in a center, and similar skill sets (hard shot with good puck handling). Bjugstad has been a much better skater. He has got to be one of the fastest on our team at 6'6 215. Coincidentally both were picked 19th overall too.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Someone with photoshop skill needs to put Bjugstad's face on the Juggernaut's body. Make it happen!

Extra credit: put a hockey stick in his hands.

Erick*

I am very surprised. As a Panthers fan, I'm not used to young players overachieving, especially at such a young age. I hope he continues to be consistent with it. In all honesty, he's looked better than Huby and Barkov. Although, it's probably unfair to compare since they're all different types of players.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
Take in that Bjugs is older and not coming off surgery. It is expected that he has a quick turnaround being more physically developed. Though he has far exceeded that being a legit top six player in a matter of weeks after missing camp.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
There's something about Nick you guys are overlooking.. The kid has a heavy and accurate slapshot. He buried lot's of one-time claps on the Gophers power-play. NB would position himself at the top of the left circle and just wait for a pass to get through the lanes. And being a righty he just wired it when the puck was in his wheelhouse. We must utilize this weapon.

I'd like to see Horacheck put out the following powerplay lineup:

Barkov at center. Huberdeau on right wing and Bjugstad on left wing. Campbell and Gilbert on defense. Huberdeau goes to the front of the net. Barkov down low on the right side. Umbrella style positioning. Gilbert at the top-middle and Campbell on the right side. Bjugstad waits at the top of the left circle. So, you have either Campbell or Barkov attempting the cross ice pass to Bjugstad. If a pass gets through at the right moment then Bjugstad can one-time the puck on goal.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
There's something about Nick you guys are overlooking.. The kid has a heavy and accurate slapshot. He buried lot's of one-time claps on the Gophers power-play. NB would position himself at the top of the left circle and just wait for a pass to get through the lanes. And being a righty he just wired it when the puck was in his wheelhouse. We must utilize this weapon.

I'd like to see Horacheck put out the following powerplay lineup:

Barkov at center. Huberdeau on right wing and Bjugstad on left wing. Campbell and Gilbert on defense. Huberdeau goes to the front of the net. Barkov down low on the right side. Umbrella style positioning. Gilbert at the top-middle and Campbell on the right side. Bjugstad waits at the top of the left circle. So, you have either Campbell or Barkov attempting the cross ice pass to Bjugstad. If a pass gets through at the right moment then Bjugstad can one-time the puck on goal.
Yeah, that's part of the skill set that I think people have not seen yet. His shot is very good. His wrist shot is excellent as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->