HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So do many coaches...

I think we're over-analyzing things here....were talking about the position of assistant coach, it really doesn't have that much influence on things.

Whether the assistant coach is JJD or SL or Muller or anyone...

Until the talent level improves on the backend, no one is going to coach miracles out of this group.

If an assistant coach doesn't have much influence, why even have one ?

The truth is having good assistants are absolutely key. Especially ones with good chemistry with the HC.

In any case, if the first week of offseason is any indication, this has the makings of the worst summer weve seen yet.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If an assistant coach doesn't have much influence, why even have one ?

The truth is having good assistants are absolutely key. Especially ones with good chemistry with the HC.

In any case, if the first week of offseason is any indication, this has the makings of the worst summer weve seen yet.
Because a head coach needs assistance running a bench and assistants often act as the go-between head coach and players.

But this idea that assistant coaches, in any way, have a direct influence on the outcome of games or players development...

Sorry, I don't buy that..

I remember being told Phil Housley, who was previously an assistant coach in Nashville before becoming head coach in Buffalo, would be huge for Nathan Beaulieu's career.

Well Beaulieu was awful this year, worse than any year he had under JJD.

Last year the Sens were getting all kinds of props for having Marc Crawford as associate head coach...what happened this year? I haven't heard anyone talk about him...

Habs bringing back Kirk Muller was supposed to bring the PP back to top 5 in the league and it would help player relations...that was a nice thought.

I bet you couldn't even tell me, without looking, who half of the league's assistant coaches are.

We just love to over-analyzing every aspect here...

Main focus should be on the quality of the roster and/or those who are in charge of assembling said roster.

The rest is just window dressing...worrying about the assistant coach for me, at this point, is a few degrees off worrying about the identity of the equipment manager.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Because a head coach needs assistance running a bench and assistants often act as the go-between head coach and players.

But this idea that assistant coaches, in any way, have a direct influence on the outcome of games or players development...

I remember being told Phil Housley, who was previously an assistant coach in Nashville before becoming head coach in Buffalo, would be huge for Nathan Beaulieu's career.

Last year the Sens were getting all kinds of props for having Marc Crawford as associate head coach...what happened this year? I haven't heard anyone talk about him...

Habs bringing back Kirk Muller was supposed to bring the PP back to top 5 in the league and it would help player relations...that was a nice thought.

I bet you couldn't even tell me, without looking, who half of the league's assistant coaches are.

Main focus should be on the quality of the roster and/or those who are in charge of assembling said roster.

The rest is just window dressing...worrying about the assistant coach for me, at this point, is a few degrees off worrying about the identity of the equipment manager.

the PP was still the only thing positif this year even if Weber was not there

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You're not wrong about what you said.....but i don't think it's about that.

Is he the best candidate for the job?
Did he deserve that job?
Did he somehow prove he's worth even considering?

Winning culture is not to promote failure....at any level.

When a change coach, the players expect something new, something fresh, something different. They already missed that point by hiring Julien. He's not a bad coach, but his type of game is too similar to Therrien.

For many players, Lefebvre won't be new, fresh and different....he's that coach many players had in the minors who never won anything.

Players have to prove themselves to get into the big league, so should any coaching staff member.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

MB is in Victoriaville to watch them face Drummondville. As Lalancette mentions, Veleno and Beaudin could be two players he's scouting. Veleno is slated to be selected in the 1st round (some draft rankings have him listed in the Top-10) and Beaudin is a LD ranked as a 2nd rounder.

And of course, he mentions how Drummondville is coached by Ducharme.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

MB is in Victoriaville to watch them face Drummondville. As Lalancette mentions, Veleno and Beaudin could be two players he's scouting. Veleno is slated to be selected in the 1st round (some draft rankings have him listed in the Top-10) and Beaudin is a LD ranked as a 2nd rounder.

If they pick Veleno in the top 5 i'll be more than mad.
Beaudin in the 2nd round is very possible.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Hopefully someone spills beer or throw a hotdog with extra ketchup on Bergevin. ATTITUDE!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For what it's worth, Ducharme is down 3-1 in the series against Victoriaville. They play Game 5 on Sunday. Should they lose, Drummondville are eliminated. And I can't help but hope they lose for it all to coincide with an early week announcement of Lefebvre out and Ducharme in.

As for Joel Bouchard, his team is off to the 3rd round.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

So MB, Timmins, Donald Audette, and Serge Boisvert were all at Game 5 (the tweet mistakenly wrote Game 6) of Victoriaville and Drummondville (in which Victoriaville eliminated Ducharme and Drummondville from the playoffs). There is Veleno that they're surely scouting for the upcoming draft. And while there, they may just have some conversations with Ducharme for Laval.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Already pessimistic the Big Berg still running the show for the foreseeable future. But I cant see how swapping a JJD busted tire for a bald Le-F tire is supposed to be a step forward. Why we didnt hire Robinson as D coach is beyond me.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Already pessimistic the Big Berg still running the show for the foreseeable future. But I cant see how swapping a JJD busted tire for a bald Le-F tire is supposed to be a step forward. Why we didnt hire Robinson as D coach is beyond me.

Lefebvre replacing JJD is just a rumor right now. Let's not forget it's not a confirmation at this moment. But you are correct, it doesn't seem like it would be an improvement.

As for Robinson as D coach, he's not longer interested in a coaching job. Despite that, Habs should do whatever they can to bring him into the fold as a consultant. Having him around can only be a positive.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I'm absolutely terrified for this offseason, when you've f***ed things up as bad as MB has and then leave him in charge to fix it that's a recipe for disaster, reminds me of this

RTolauh3Rb1UOfRmlTWJ8Rvqvpo=.gif

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If we don’t sign Tavares, we may have a tough time even getting close to the cap next year. I believe we’ll have about $16M in space and with UFAs like Stastny, Bozak etc. it doesn’t seem likely we’ll get close to the cap especially if we trade Patches for more youth unless we trade more youth for bigger contracts or take on a bad contract for a valued piece.

Should be an interesting off season.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If we don’t sign Tavares, we may have a tough time even getting close to the cap next year. I believe we’ll have about $16M in space and with UFAs like Stastny, Bozak etc. it doesn’t seem likely we’ll get close to the cap especially if we trade Patches for more youth unless we trade more youth for bigger contracts or take on a bad contract for a valued piece.

That's been his MO, we are just missing out on the valued piece at the end

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Capfriendly has us at 13.3 M and if it goes up by 5M we will have 18.3M in cap space and this is with CP31 at 10.5M

So, we have a ton of room, but a ton of needs.............and a clown running the show, which is the scariest part of it all...

After such a horrible off season last year, I am on the edge of the cliff, on this off seasons possibilities...

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd prefer that MB not spend all his cap space so that his eventual successor isn't handcuffed by his incompetence from Day One. Bring in a new face and give him that $18 million worth of spending money. If we get lucky and they hire someone with a brain it could work out well.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I'd prefer that MB not spend all his cap space so that his eventual successor isn't handcuffed by his incompetence from Day One. Bring in a new face and give him that $18 million worth of spending money. If we get lucky and they hire someone with a brain it could work out well.

Having capspace to spend on UFAs is a recipe for disaster imo...way more times than not UFAs turnout to be overpaid and on the decline. Tavares is a different story though...he is legit, but a significant chunk of that money would go to him if that dream somehow materializes.

I don't think there is a magic formula to winning...not even tanking. There are just as many failure stories for teams that tank and have been tanking for years with no reason to think they're turning a corner of any sort.

Our GM is running things into the ground though with his decision-making in a vacuum mentality this much is true imo. And I fear the worst is yet to come. He is in desperation mode...it's not good.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
JJD advocates both his defenseman chase the puck. Behind the net. Where 100% of all goals are scored from.

He's a great coach.
As a defenseman you never chase behind the net if that player is already being checked.....need to hold your position....head on a swivel.....pick up the open man ....that is who will score not the player with the puck.....the player without the puck is always the most dangerous.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Having capspace to spend on UFAs is a recipe for disaster imo...way more times than not UFAs turnout to be overpaid and on the decline. Tavares is a different story though...he is legit, but a significant chunk of that money would go to him if that dream somehow materializes.

I don't think there is a magic formula to winning...not even tanking. There are just as many failure stories for teams that tank and have been tanking for years with no reason to think they're turning a corner of any sort.

Our GM is running things into the ground though with his decision-making in a vacuum mentality this much is true imo. And I fear the worst is yet to come. He is in desperation mode...it's not good.
Everyone says Toronto did it right by tanking. Hard to buy into that argument today. Sure they're in the playoffs...for 2 more games. And their franchise player Matthews has been MIA. They'll have a low first round pick to show for their season and will likely be on the golf course only a week or so after the Habs.

Doesn't seem like progress to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad