HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Pierre Lebrun on Milan Lucic: "A lot of people connecting the dots to the Montreal Canadiens... I'm told no way, the Montreal Canadiens are not interested at this point in Milan Lucic."

If Lebrun was correctly quoted, then this is music to our ears.

There is a double negative in that statement. It all falls down to the comma and can actually mean that MON is 100% interested in Lucic as there is no way that they are not interested in Lucic.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I had made a trade proposal for the Canes Hanifin and Lindholm as I thought these guys might be available. The full trade has been Chucky, Gallagher and our 3rdOA for those two and 2nd OA. But I was open to variation . I had thought maybe Gallagher for Hanifin and whatever to balance. Canes were my top trade target.

So the Canes did pull the trigger on those 2. Only talks I saw about Canes and Habs were our 2 top 2nds for Rask, but MB wouldn't do it. Really wanted Hanifin.

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This is a positive sign imo, might mean the reports by Friedman that the Habs brass has instructed MB to stockpile picks and prospects is true. The only bad news here is that MB should not be entrusted with this responsibility.

I agree the concern is valid We need a visionary able to target and exploit a particular year or two. Our brain trust has already squandered most of our best pieces and haven't shown me they can build a new core.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
How does MB spend the $$$ this summer now, if JT wont even talk to us............he has almost 20M in cap space, and we are a undesirable team to look at??

Does he get fired before the season even starts?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He's got this team in such a poor spot I don't think it even makes sense to spend the cap space. Habs could end up closer to the cap floor than the ceiling. Ugly times indeed, but if saving the cap space will allow this cheap ass owner to fire MB sooner than later, then by all means, save it.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He's got this team in such a poor spot I don't think it even makes sense to spend the cap space. Habs could end up closer to the cap floor than the ceiling. Ugly times indeed, but if saving the cap space will allow this cheap ass owner to fire MB sooner than later, then by all means, save it.

Sadly I think it's the opposite, if we spend 20M under the cap that's 20m more in profit for Molson.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
He's gonna overpay Statsny and bring Perron because he's a quebecois.

Gonna have a floater on both top lines.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Sadly I think it's the opposite, if we spend 20M under the cap that's 20m more in profit for Molson.

Could be right, but would you agree if Molson used the savings to offset the remainder of MB's contract in order to let him go then that would be considered a win, especially since it should ensure we're in lottery contention again for the new GM to step in? Not sure Molson sees things similarly, but I can't help but think he understands the damage MB has caused and $$$ is the only reason he is still GM.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Could be right, but would you agree if Molson used the savings to offset the remainder of MB's contract in order to let him go then that would be considered a win, especially since it should ensure we're in lottery contention again for the new GM to step in? Not sure Molson sees things similarly, but I can't help but think he understands the damage MB has caused and $$$ is the only reason he is still GM.

I think Molson is shortsighted so I'm not sure he sees the extent of the damage MB has caused.

Keeping MB around because of his contract is simply the sunk cost fallacy.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There is a double negative in that statement. It all falls down to the comma and can actually mean that MON is 100% interested in Lucic as there is no way that they are not interested in Lucic.

The "no way" was meant as in "no way that". A tweet by Nichols which includes a follow-up line to the quote, leaves no doubt as to the intended meaning:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree the concern is valid We need a visionary able to target and exploit a particular year or two. Our brain trust has already squandered most of our best pieces and haven't shown me they can build a new core.

Now that the draft is done, I'm hoping there will be a thorough review of amateur scouting. Look at the teams that have a track record of successful drafting and model the Habs accordingly. Poach and sign the best. Eventually, someone will jump ship or will not be renewed.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
With how much cap space we have (and contracts signed in relation to the cap space), MB's relationship with Brisson, Tavares' knowledge of MTL as a market with Price, Weber and Gallagher (with whom hes all won medals/world championship trophies ), I really like to hope we'll at the very minimum be one of the 5 teams he wants to listen to

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I'd rather wait until guys like Kotkaniemi and Poehling are ready than overpay one of Stastny/Bozak.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad