Music: Official Metal Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Saw the Slayer tour yesterday, it was great.

Testament I've never seen before, they were as good as I could hope for being a casual fan. I need to listen to them more, nothing I've heard is bad.

Behemoth is always entertaining and despite being a bit of an outlier on the bill they got a solid response. I've probably seen them 5-6x at festivals and have never seen them in the dark. I'd imagine doing so would add to the overall feel quite a bit. I wonder how overboard their headlining sets get...

Anthrax - if I never heard them again I'd be just happy with that. We left the pit during their set but did catch about 1/3 of it. They sound good and do what they do well (I'll give em that) - I just can't get into their songs at all. I keep having to put up w/them every year or two as they end up playing with other bands I want to see.

Lamb of God - tremendous energy, great set with no newer clean-vocal songs. Many felt they stole the show

Slayer - they never falter. I've seen them around 15x and they are always the same: Kick ass, no messing around, and (at least in recent years) straight through the set w/no time wasted/encore. Setlist had a couple songs I haven't heard on recent tours plus all the obvious choices. Tons of pyro, almost through the entire show it felt like.

If my job keeps me on the road through next weekend, I'll go see it again on Sunday though I'll only see LOG/Slayer which is fine by me. Otherwise I'll be home and will see The Black Dahlia Murder (with Whitechapel, though I'm not a fan) instead. Either way, next weekend will be fun!

33662845_10155815778303191_6720703582842126336_n.jpg
I saw this tour at the end of may. Great show....

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Rest in peace Mark. Luckily I managed to see MR last year, their 80s material is some of the best metal ever written, especially Open the Gates (especially the 'EP' included on that one, both Witches' Brew and The Ninth Wave are incredible).

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Because they're fairly generic norsecore. I'm surprised you've found anyone with a strong opinion about them in any direction. They're largely forgettable.

Hmm.

Alrighty. I know I've seen them get bashed on a lot of metal forums over the years and I've never understood why. Personally, I dig a few of their albums like "The Secrets Of The Black Arts" and "Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus" a lot.

I don't like their new (as of 2014) vocalist or their latest album (as of 2016) with him though.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
New Obscura was pretty darn good. Need to listen to it a few more times to fully digest it.

The Browning have a new album coming out in October. I know their last one had some lineup changes and wasn't up to par but hopefully things have stabilized now.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
By not always playing live with the bands they record with (most of which have pretty rare live appearances anyway).

Still, I'd think that that the creative process would take its toll; especially with the diversity of their projects and the quality of them.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Why are Dark Funeral frowned upon or scorned or ridiculed by so many in the Black metal community??

I've never understood what their sound is aiming for. They basically took Transilvanian Hunger, shortened the guitar phrases, made it more technical and sped it up by 100%, removing the simple hypnotic quality that made TH good to begin with.

Reactions: Hippasus

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

From 2:48, say "bam" or something every time the drummer hits the snare. That's great subtle use of polyrhythm to warp a riff. There's also a lot of that stuff in Atheist and Demilich.

On the other end of the spectrum, Meshuggah try so hard to be hypnotic by removing everything BUT the polyryhthm that they just become tedious to listen to.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
On the other end of the spectrum, Meshuggah try so hard to be hypnotic by removing everything BUT the polyryhthm that they just become tedious to listen to.

Meshuggah are one of those bands where it's hard to imagine how they could ever appeal to a non-musician. They have some interesting ideas about rhythm, repetition and subtle variation in heavy music, and even some intriguing thematic concepts - but holy shit is it ever dull to listen to.

Jazz dudes love them for some reason.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Meshuggah are one of those bands where it's hard to imagine how they could ever appeal to a non-musician. They have some interesting ideas about rhythm, repetition and subtle variation in heavy music, and even some intriguing thematic concepts - but holy **** is it ever dull to listen to.

Jazz dudes love them for some reason.

Yeah. I mean you can play any one random minute of their music and it will sound pretty cool, but the problem is it just keeps going and going. There might be different variations but it's still the same idea the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad