OT: Official Jersey and Merch Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I can't seem to find any 2D hats on ottawateamshop.ca anymore. I wonder if they were sold out or removed for other reasons.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I got a little more info on the jerseys last night.

Home will primarily black, with red sleeves (halfway), a tweaked version of the 2D logo, and a red stripe along the bottom.

Away will be white with black sleeves and a red stripe along the bottom. (Basically the original 92 jersey)

I asked about the striping on the home sleeves and it appears that the jersey will be a little bit different from the black 92 jerseys.

No idea what could be subject to change, or if this is going to end up 100% accurate.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Home will primarily black, with red sleeves (halfway), a tweaked version of the 2D logo, and a red stripe along the bottom.

Away will be white with black sleeves and a red stripe along the bottom. (Basically the original 92 jersey)

I asked about the striping on the home sleeves and it appears that the jersey will be a little bit different from the black 92 jerseys.

No idea what could be subject to change, or if this is going to end up 100% accurate.

Thanks for the info! Any word on potential thirds for this season?

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
upload_2019-9-20_18-34-59.jpeg

Oct 10, 2010

Can confirm this may or may not be true.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Not a merch question, but does anyone know if there are any existing photos of marty st louis in a sems jersey (from his brief pre-fame tryout)?

Reactions: Back in Black

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I never understood why the Senators re-branded and tried to "modernize" their logo. The one they had was an absolute classic that ranked up there with some of the original six logos. In fact, if you look at the teams that have been around the league the longest and have created a "history" that connects all their fans from young to old (like the Candiens, Leafs, Red wings and Bruins for example) you will find their logo almost never changed. It may have been tweaked, the shade of colour may have changed here and there, but the logo was always the same recognizable classic logo. The Ottawa Senators had that (with the 2D logo not 3d) but for some odd reason felt the need to scrap it, which to this day I still do not understand why.

They can, however, correct a wrong by going back to it (without noticeable changes) and re-create that nostalgic feel to help bring back some fans who might feel disconnected from the Senators team circa 2010-2018.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
I never understood why the Senators re-branded and tried to "modernize" their logo. The one they had was an absolute classic that ranked up there with some of the original six logos. In fact, if you look at the teams that have been around the league the longest and have created a "history" that connects all their fans from young to old (like the Candiens, Leafs, Red wings and Bruins for example) you will find their logo almost never changed. It may have been tweaked, the shade of colour may have changed here and there, but the logo was always the same recognizable classic logo. The Ottawa Senators had that (with the 2D logo not 3d) but for some odd reason felt the need to scrap it, which to this day I still do not understand why.

They can, however, correct a wrong by going back to it (without noticeable changes) and re-create that nostalgic feel to help bring back some fans who might feel disconnected from the Senators team circa 2010-2018.
Money. Someone in the head office saw an opportunity to push fans to replace all their swag after the Stanley Cup run. Some would argue it's good business sense, But personally I think it's purely short-sighted greed and really marked the beginning of Melnyk's BS.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Scored this at an estate sale for $20. Original 92-96 era home jersey with fight strap. No name.

Swore 2 years ago I'd never give Melnyk another penny and have stayed true to that by buying my stuff this way. Also saves me a boatload.

View attachment 256645

That is a great buy for 20 dollars. Those CCM Ultrafil Authentic jerseys are my favourite jerseys in terms of build quality. I like the slimmer fitting more modern jerseys in terms of casual wear (date nights, weddings, bar mitzvah) but the CCM Ultrafil jerseys are the most comfortable to wear. Super heavy and thick.

When the 2D logo originally was revealed, the sentiment in the paper was that people didn't like it. They were upset that they bought Peace Tower logo jerseys and the Senators did a bait and switch with a "condom" logo. Someone posted an article somewhere with quotes from fans, I wish I could find it. Granted, it is difficult to tell if that was the popular opinion, or just a few quotes used in an article to present something a certain way.

Apparently the original 2D jerseys were a top seller when they came out. So they were popular.

I'm not sure why they changed the logo. There was a push in the mid to late 90's to re-invent and modernize jersey designs. There were a lot of new technologies that were being used. The technologies allowed things like gradients, or more complex jersey patterns.

I remember liking the 3D logo and jersey designs as a kid. It's hard to say they made the right or wrong choice without knowing what the response was to ditching the 2D road jerseys when it actually happened in the late 90's. It's easy to look back now and say it was a bad choice, but we're looking back with 2019 eyes. Throwbacks are trendy right now. It seems like every team has released a faux-back vintage jersey with laces and simple striping.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Heard it was the owner's idea and besides profit, it was to put his "stamp" on the team so to speak...this was simply word of mouth passed along to me many moons ago, but makes some sense when looking at perhaps why we haven't changed over the last decade, if the owner really likes them or is attached to them.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It was an opportunity to refresh the brand when the NHL went from CCM to RBK.

We weren't alone in changing the look. Most of us here remember the Buffalo Slugs I'm sure :laugh:

Reactions: 18Hossa

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It was an opportunity to refresh the brand when the NHL went from CCM to RBK.

We weren't alone in changing the look. Most of us here remember the Buffalo Slugs I'm sure :laugh:

That was the first thing that came to mind for me but it's worth mentioning they dropped it after 4 years. What are we 11 or 12 and counting?

Teams experimented but we are one of only a few who didn't fall back to our first jerseys, our "classic" even if the team was still young.

I'm fine with experimenting logos but I wish we were more nimble in adjusting. The 3d logo isn't horrible but it's played out at this point and the rest of the league has moved on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The major difference in this case being that the Sabres had the basic decency to put the Buffaslug out of it's misery before it had a chance to breed in the wild and threaten the Upstate NY ecosystem as an invasive species. :laugh:

As an aside, there's a great article about the Slug, in case anyone wants to read it
--> here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad