OT: Official Jersey and Merch Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
@BonkTastic I thought the NHL and New Era don't have a contract anymore? Do they have one now, or just for toques or something? Those look to be new era brand toques.

I have no idea if anything new has been signed for the 2019-20 season, but for the past couple of years, New Era has been given permission to contract with individual teams, rather than the league as a whole.

They never stopped making NHL caps/toques, they simply stopped being an "official league" source that provided merch for all 31 teams. Teams are/were still able to license merch through New Era if they wanted, and sell it through their team store, but they had to make those arrangements outside of the league offices.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I would imagine it's a logistics thing.

I'm not 100 percent sure on the entire process, but I know Adidas/Reebok requires a specific amount of time before a jersey can be retired, and that the actual creation of a jersey is a longer process than just throwing out a photoshop and saying in April "we want that by October". Unless I've lost count, next year will be the start of our 3rd year wearing these home jerseys. So it's possible that we have to wait 3 full years before actually retiring them. I don't remember if Adidas/Reebok's number of years for how long a team has to keep a jersey is 2 or 3 years.

I don't think the Heritage Classic counts with that 3 year rule because it was a special event jersey that was already created. We chose to re-use it as our 3rd this year, but it was already made. We didn't have a 3rd made and ditch it a year later.

Other people with more knowledge, probably @BonkTastic could probably clarify.

I'll admit to not knowing the exact details of the new Adidas contract, but the old Reebok contract clearly had ther 3-year rule. I assume the Adidas contract is the same, though I do know that Adidas is being more strict on deadlines for submitting new designs - Adidas demands that all new designs be submitted far in advance of when Reebok would accept them.

Also: under the old Reebok contract, Winter Classic jerseys weren't subject to the 3-year rule. Again, no idea if Adidas is the same. Sorry.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have to say though... I'm not sure that the toque photo there is legit.

Usually when you get your retail catalogues for the next season, any new or changed logo is blacked out. Like, all the returning/unchanged team logos are there for everyone to see, and any merch featuring either a new logo or a 3rd jersey will simply be a black square with plain text that days "new logo 2019", or "release date 21.05.2019" or something like that.

MAYBE this catalogue is different, but that's the way they used to do it back in the day. Seeing a new logo like this in a retail catalogue makes me doubt if it's real or not. It might be, I just have some doubts.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The other reason I'm a bit skeptical about that photo - the Canucks areexpected to do a total jersey redesign for 2019-20. New home, away, 3rd AND heritage jerseys to replace their current sets... But the toque in that picture shows basically the exact same logo & colour scheme.

Again - this isn't conclusive, maybe the Canucks are keeping the same logo and colours (though concensus opi ion was that they were at least removing the Vancouver wordmark above the logo -maybe that's changed though?), but it's enough to plant a seed of doubt in my mind.

I totally hope we go back to the 2D logo though, so my fingers are crossed that this pic is real.

Reactions: Disclose

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I have to say though... I'm not sure that the toque photo there is legit.

Usually when you get your retail catalogues for the next season, any new or changed logo is blacked out. Like, all the returning/unchanged team logos are there for everyone to see, and any merch featuring either a new logo or a 3rd jersey will simply be a black square with plain text that days "new logo 2019", or "release date 21.05.2019" or something like that.

MAYBE this catalogue is different, but that's the way they used to do it back in the day. Seeing a new logo like this in a retail catalogue makes me doubt if it's real or not. It might be, I just have some doubts.

:(

cant we have one good thing?

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
yeah the icthetics dude said Vancouver get new jerseys. but doesnt mean rebranding. stating it could be something like removing the word "vancouver" .

im also doubting the catalogue, but whatever. maybe the positive reaction by fans opens their eyes. ( we did it with the O )

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
yeah the icthetics dude said Vancouver get new jerseys. but doesnt mean rebranding. stating it could be something like removing the word "vancouver" .

im also doubting the catalogue, but whatever. maybe the positive reaction by fans opens their eyes. ( we did it with the O )
That doesn’t simply happen with this organization.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
giphy.gif

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I bought a jersey online via the Ottawateamshop site, and there's a pull in the middle of the O (so mesh bit). just wondering what they would do if I contacted them?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I bought a jersey online via the Ottawateamshop site, and there's a pull in the middle of the O (so mesh bit). just wondering what they would do if I contacted them?

It doesn't hurt to ask them.

If you live in Ottawa, it might be easier to try and exchange it in store.

They should replace it, it would be the right thing to do, but who knows.

Reactions: Big Papi

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Happened to be browsing some old usenet chats, and came across this interesting little tidbit that I thought was relevant to this topic:

With all this talk about the Sharks' jerseys , does anyone know
what the Ottawa Senators jerseys and logo will look like???

Wait a minute you're saying, isn't the logo the word Ottawa and the
Peace tower between the t's ??? The one that has been heavily marketted
around the Ottawa area? The one yours truly paid $60 for a "away" jersey
not three months ago?

According to today's Ottawa Sun the Senators will soon announce their
"official" logo, and apparently it will be drastically different, with
the word "Ottawa" less emphasized, if it's there at all...

Apparently this is an end-around move so that the team didn't have to adhere
to the NHL marketting rules where all teams get a piece of the revenue pie.

Somehow the Senators are becomming more and more of a quick money-grab
organization... They must have sold thousand of pieces of merchandise,
that now are "collector's items"... ie virtually worthless...

The "unofficial" jerseys (like the one in my closet... :-( can be had for
about $35 dollars now...

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Happened to be browsing some old usenet chats, and came across this interesting little tidbit that I thought was relevant to this topic:

That guy got the last laugh. Those jerseys regularly sell for 100 bucks on eBay. Although, if you live in Ottawa and go to thrift stores, they can often be found for a few bucks.

There's an article from the early 90's I remember reading that was linked here at one point where people completely trashed the 2D logo after it was introduced.

Apparently, the Sens gear sold really well when it first came out, but I am not sure if that's just a case where a new team got a boost because no hockey fans owned their jerseys.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Although, if you live in Ottawa and go to thrift stores, they can often be found for a few bucks.

Well... I wouldn't say "often".

I regularly check thrift stores around town for old jerseys, and have done so for like 20 years (minus the years I lived abroad), and I've found a total of two.

I sold one about 9 or 10 years ago for $125, the other I still have in my collection.

They're... Kind of garbage quality, if you ask me. They are cool because of how rare and neat they are, but even among the very limited few that exist, even less exist in any reasonably good condition. Most are falling apart at the seams, and since none were made with embroidered logos (they were all screened), finding one with a pristine logo is even rarer.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, my brother was able to snag one off Kijiji pretty recently relatively cheaply only to discover that it needs some repairs.

Still, pretty funny to think that at one time people were supposedly gung-ho against the 2D centurion in favour of the Peace Tower logo.

Those discussion groups are pretty interesting to read - especially the discussions surrounding the expansion process.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Well... I wouldn't say "often".

I regularly check thrift stores around town for old jerseys, and have done so for like 20 years (minus the years I lived abroad), and I've found a total of two.

I sold one about 9 or 10 years ago for $125, the other I still have in my collection.

They're... Kind of garbage quality, if you ask me. They are cool because of how rare and neat they are, but even among the very limited few that exist, even less exist in any reasonably good condition. Most are falling apart at the seams, and since none were made with embroidered logos (they were all screened), finding one with a pristine logo is even rarer.

I go to thrift stores infrequently, like once a week max if I'm in the area, and I've found at least half a dozen. I guess I've just gotten lucky. I find that a lot of thrift stores mark hockey jersey and Sens jersey way up, even absolute junk, but the Peace Tower jerseys fall under the radar because they look like something that a PeeWee team would be ashamed to wear to practice in.

They are like snowflakes, every one of them is different. I've never had two that seemed to fit or look the same. I've even had some that are just completely different in terms of how the stripes are put together.

The Sens missed the boat by not bringing back the Peace Tower design in some shape or form as a third or commemorative jersey. I think it would be really popular. These jerseys sell extremely well despite the fact that they look and fit so badly. I've always wondered if that was just on the strength of how big of a status symbol they are for Sens fans, or if it is also because people really like the design and logo.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I go to thrift stores infrequently, like once a week max if I'm in the area, and I've found at least half a dozen. I guess I've just gotten lucky. I find that a lot of thrift stores mark hockey jersey and Sens jersey way up, even absolute junk, but the Peace Tower jerseys fall under the radar because they look like something that a PeeWee team would be ashamed to wear to practice in.

They are like snowflakes, every one of them is different. I've never had two that seemed to fit or look the same. I've even had some that are just completely different in terms of how the stripes are put together.

The Sens missed the boat by not bringing back the Peace Tower design in some shape or form as a third or commemorative jersey. I think it would be really popular. These jerseys sell extremely well despite the fact that they look and fit so badly. I've always wondered if that was just on the strength of how big of a status symbol they are for Sens fans, or if it is also because people really like the design and logo.

i would definitely buy one of those. I loved the old Peace Tower logo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

That's crazy lucky on your part - I've had friends looking for years who still haven't found one in a thrift store.

Also: we did sort of bring back the peace tower in a logo...

UedQEUB.png

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
This organizations has soooooo many important things to check the boxes, I highly doubt there will be anything new with the logo and jersey front in the near future...

Who would be pulling the trigger on such a decision anyways? There is nobody in the front office that has the wherewithal to make that decision without Uncle Eug yes or no...

We can dream about a fresh start on the uni front but it is not happening soon.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
This organizations has soooooo many important things to check the boxes, I highly doubt there will be anything new with the logo and jersey front in the near future...

Who would be pulling the trigger on such a decision anyways? There is nobody in the front office that has the wherewithal to make that decision without Uncle Eug yes or no...

We can dream about a fresh start on the uni front but it is not happening soon.

I want poutine now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad