OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Where you going to play, Bear Mountain, Olympic view, Cordova Bay?

I live up North on the Island so Storey Creek is my place to play.

All 3 of those courses mentioned above are as good as it gets.

On vacation played Banff Springs today, my God what an amazing track.

If your ever want to play I'm around.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I live up North on the Island so Storey Creek is my place to play.

All 3 of those courses mentioned above are as good as it gets.

On vacation played Banff Springs today, my God what an amazing track.

If your ever want to play I'm around.

Sounds great, I`ll PM you my email address as I suspect my phone number will change once we land. I`d love to play the Springs, it would be a day where I would only bring shag balls:laugh:

playing two of my favorites over the next week, Chester then Northumberland

Chester Golf Club - Chester, Nova Scotia

Northumberland Links Golf Course, Pugwash, Nova Scotia Golf Courses

Last edited:

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Have been to Chester a few times, very nice course. Long straight Par 5 to start is always nice.
yeah, the first few holes by the ocean are beautiful. Have found I play well there, suits my game but last game it felt like it was my first time with a club in my hands so you just never know

BruinsFuse

Sep 21, 2007
Halifax, NS
Hey! Chester is my home track. I am playing there this afternoon. It has been in fantastic shape this year. The rough has been pretty thick considering all the heat we have been getting. Don't miss the greens to the side or long though. That is where the course battles back. Enjoy it ODAAT.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Played 40-41 81 yesterday and 43-39 82 today. Missed a 12ft eagle putt on the last hole...

My 9y son keeps improving at a lightning fast pace. Had 62-55 117 yesterday than made 4 pars today for a 52-54 106.

That`s insane, 9 years old. I really began playing at about 12, by 14 I was breaking 90, the summer I was 15, I was a solid 12 handicap but between the ages of 16-18 I was down to a high 1 low 2 handicapper but full disclosure, my folks dropped me at the course in the morning, I played an early round, ate lunch, played in the afternoon then bused tables in the course dining room at night

My game fell to sh** when I started partying and stayed that way for years, it`s only in the last decade or so I`ve got my game back as I can now see clearly and I can`t tell you how much I love this game. Regardless if I`m on point or playing like I`ve never held a club in my hands, I just love being on the course with the boys (and sometimes Mrs Odaat), having laughs at ourselves and one another.

Playing today, only 8 days until the clubs hit the moving truck so packing in a ton of golf between now and then

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
That`s insane, 9 years old. I really began playing at about 12, by 14 I was breaking 90, the summer I was 15, I was a solid 12 handicap but between the ages of 16-18 I was down to a high 1 low 2 handicapper but full disclosure, my folks dropped me at the course in the morning, I played an early round, ate lunch, played in the afternoon then bused tables in the course dining room at night

My game fell to sh** when I started partying and stayed that way for years, it`s only in the last decade or so I`ve got my game back as I can now see clearly and I can`t tell you how much I love this game. Regardless if I`m on point or playing like I`ve never held a club in my hands, I just love being on the course with the boys (and sometimes Mrs Odaat), having laughs at ourselves and one another.

Playing today, only 8 days until the clubs hit the moving truck so packing in a ton of golf between now and then

Same for me.

Started at 14. Was down to a 2 between 16 and 18. Played only 5-7 games a year for the past 20y with a couple continuous mulligan in there.

My son starting to play has given me the chance to go more. Already played more than 10 games this year. Game ain’t what it used to be but still scrambling my way to between 77 and 84.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Same for me.

Started at 14. Was down to a 2 between 16 and 18. Played only 5-7 games a year for the past 20y with a couple continuous mulligan in there.

My son starting to play has given me the chance to go more. Already played more than 10 games this year. Game ain’t what it used to be but still scrambling my way to between 77 and 84.

shooting between 77 and 84 ain`t scramblin:laugh:

Hit the ball terrific yesterday, stepped onto the 9th tee having played the previous 8 holes in 3+, driver working very well, nice and straight. Loads of fairway to the left, water down the right, 1 guess where I put my drive:facepalm:

Proceeded to triple the hole as I had to drop in the rough which was terribly difficult to play from and finished with a 41, rebounded with a Coke and a Turkey sandwich, started the back fresh and shot a one over 37 with a downhill 12 footer for bird on #18 to bring it to even on the back which just burned the edge of the hole.

The game makes no sense, couldn`t hit a wall 2 feet in front of me 3-4 days previous then this.

As you mentioned, the game isn`t what it used to be, I have to think the most important thing about my game now is that if/when things go a touch sideways or I have a hole like I did on #9, I seem to put it in the rearview mirror immediately. A few moons ago, I`d internally sulk about it for a few holes which never wound up well.

My son and I play a little bit, he`s going through some 'stuff' right now which in turn is tough on us as we miss having him around more but all we can do is let him know we are here for him when he`s ready

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
An eventful 40-40 80 today... had three 3-putts, 2 birdies and two doubles including the last hole...

The little boy had 53-54 107 and holed out from 120yds on a par 5 for his first birdie ever.

can`t stand 3 putts, some are understandable if the first one is a 50 footer but I had one a week or so ago, only about a 20 foot first putt, uphill and still babied it to about 7 feet then proceeded to pull that one....uggg, 80`s a great score and 107 is pretty sweet too

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
oki doki, IMO, one of the toughest tracks in NS today, fastest greens for sure, toughest winds, rough like seaweed but also one of the most picturesque in what is likely the final round in this terrific province

Played Cabot Cliffs, IMO, not close to being as tough, #4 par 3 is, again IMO, the toughest tee shot and most intimidating out there

https://www.northumberlandlinks.com/course/#details

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
oki doki, IMO, one of the toughest tracks in NS today, fastest greens for sure, toughest winds, rough like seaweed but also one of the most picturesque in what is likely the final round in this terrific province

Played Cabot Cliffs, IMO, not close to being as tough, #4 par 3 is, again IMO, the toughest tee shot and most intimidating out there

Explore the Northumberland Links Golf Course - Northumberland Links
Looks like a challenging, yet still fun course. I would take extra balls though.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
40-40 80 yesterday and 42-37 79 today with 4 birdies on the back.

Little guy still going strong with 54-57 111 and 59-54 113. Made two pars today including one on the toughest par 4.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
40-40 80 yesterday and 42-37 79 today with 4 birdies on the back.

Little guy still going strong with 54-57 111 and 59-54 113. Made two pars today including one on the toughest par 4.
Playing golf with my kids is one of my life's greatest pleasures. Except my oldest, because he makes me feel so inferior. JK, I even love that, even though he kicks my ass. Can't wait to play with them this winter when they come to visit. I've gone to Vegas for a tournament the past couple of Novembers, with my oldest (my ringer), but I think work is gonna prevent him from coming this year. My middle son asked about it though, so the two of us may give it a go this year, even though he's a worse golfer than I. After all, sometimes, it's not about the score.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Looks like a challenging, yet still fun course. I would take extra balls though.

I struggled on the front but not because I played poorly, having only played this beauty once before about 5 years ago, lack of familiarity was an issue. First hole, short dog leg, hit a perfect tee shot, about 130 in, thought I hit a terrific approach but it wound up rolling through the green( which are like glass), through the bunker in the back and sunk deep into the rough.

Hit solid tee shots, some rolled through fairways into fescue or tough rough. Anyways, was an odd 47, one that I wasn`t angry at as I was making solid contact all front 9.

Rattled off 5 pars on the back and finished with a 40, wised up on the back a bit, stopped shooting for the pin but rather just shooting for my approaches to land on the front of the green and allow the course to do the rest. I don`t play a spin game, never learned how so had to play a bit of bump and run at times.

Either way, just a beautiful course, played with a great buddy who has been my sidekick or I`ve been his for 13 years here. Bittersweet as it`s likely my final round here in NS but had a blast

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Had a great round going today. Two birdies on the front. Lost some momentum on the back with 3 bogeys in a row on 10-11-12 then made a 3-putt bogey on 16 and hit bunker from 110yds on 17. Had to make a 10 footer to save bogey. Missed a makable birdie on the last hole. Still got my best round of the year with 35-41 76.

The little one also played well with 58-57 115.

Vacations almost over. Not going to have much time to play anymore. Had a blast the past two weeks playing 10 times with my 9y son.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Texted my son today to ask if he'd heard what happened to Tommy Fleetwood's winnings on the Euro Tour. He said he called it an early day at work and was at the golf course right then. Guess someone raised him right!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just a different viewing feel when Tiger is lurking. Not a fan of his off course actions but no doubt, when he`s playing well, the game becomes far more intriguing to watch. Just a lack of personality on the tour. So robotic IMO

Then again, I grew up watching the antics of Zoeller, Jacobson, Trevino, Stadler where they just wore their emotions on their sleeve

The only PGA event I ever attended was decades ago at Glen Abbey in Oakville. Went only on the first day as the Junior Club Championship was on the weekend. The threesome Dad and I followed for almost 9 holes because it was so entertaining had both Trevino and Fuzzy in it. If you didn`t know better, you would have thought you were following two comedians, consistently interacting with the fans between shots, he**, Zoeller seemingly didn`t stop signing autographs during the round.

So fun, I know there are loads of guys on tour with great personalities, wish they showed it more

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad