OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
My 3 wood is going to be the death of me. My buddy is a golf pro at our local shop and he hooked me up with a new F7 Cobra Driver and gave me the F7 3-wood for free with it, needless to say my driver is awesome but i can't swing my 3 wood for the life of me, haha. I usually hit a 5 iron in place of it.

I've noticed 3 wood seems to be the most finicky club. Its one of those where you have to try a bunch until you find the one that works for you, then you protect that club with your life.

For me its an R11s with the RIP Phenom stiff flex.

I cant miss with it, off the tee and off the deck. I tried going to an RBZ Stage 2 3 wood because I have the driver and love it, but couldn't hit the club to save my life despite being the same as the driver...go figure.

Finally got frustrated enough to go back to the R11s and that fixed it.

My brother has an old Titleist 3 wood and its the same case. He never misses with the damn thing.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I've noticed 3 wood seems to be the most finicky club. Its one of those where you have to try a bunch until you find the one that works for you, then you protect that club with your life.

I cant miss with it, off the tee and off the deck. I tried going to an RBZ Stage 2 3 wood because I have the driver and love it, but couldn't hit the club to save my life despite being the same as the driver...go figure.

My brother has an old Titleist 3 wood and its the same case. He never misses with the damn thing.

This makes me feel a lot worse about mistakenly snapping my dad's 3 wood at the driving range when I was 13.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I find the club head insanely heavy. Mind you we don’t have a traditional course. We have an all sand course (except the greens and fringe) we carry around a hitting mat with us.

Hitting the 3-wood off the carrying mat is just terrible. I like getting some loft under it but it’s hard with those things, haha.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I find the club head insanely heavy. Mind you we don’t have a traditional course. We have an all sand course (except the greens and fringe) we carry around a hitting mat with us.

Hitting the 3-wood off the carrying mat is just terrible. I like getting some loft under it but it’s hard with those things, haha.
Not all clubs are for everyone. Sounds like a fitting is needed

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Love my 3 wood, use it in virtually every situation. Played a few weeks ago at a course here right by the ocean with a par 3 of over 200yds into the wind, choked up on the 3 wood, 3/4 swing and hit it nice and low to the front.

I`m also one of those lunatics who you may see on a course who uses his 3 wood by the green for lengthy chips where it`s death if you don`t get it to the hole. I more often than not use my 1 iron for chipping though. Don`t have to spend a ton on clubs to play reasonably well, my entire set, including both Driver and Woods cost me under 500$

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Love my 3 wood, use it in virtually every situation. Played a few weeks ago at a course here right by the ocean with a par 3 of over 200yds into the wind, choked up on the 3 wood, 3/4 swing and hit it nice and low to the front.

I`m also one of those lunatics who you may see on a course who uses his 3 wood by the green for lengthy chips where it`s death if you don`t get it to the hole. I more often than not use my 1 iron for chipping though. Don`t have to spend a ton on clubs to play reasonably well, my entire set, including both Driver and Woods cost me under 500$

haha, I dont go 3 wood around the greens...but will use an 8 iron for a bump and run when theres a lot of green to cover. although the 3 wood is my go to club for stuck under/in trees. easy to keep the ball low and it'll run every time.

completely agree about clubs too. Im basically right at $500 bucks

RBZ Stage 2 driver: new off ebay for $75
R11s 3 wood: demo club, looked brand new for $50
RBZ Stage 2 5 wood: demo club, got it for $35
SLDR irons 3 - AW: got them new off ebay for $250
Cleveland 60* CG14: lightly used ebay for $25
Odyssey Sabertooth putter: used off ebay for $50

granted, it helps being a lefty as used/demo clubs go for cheaper on ebay than righties do (generally)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
haha, I dont go 3 wood around the greens...but will use an 8 iron for a bump and run when theres a lot of green to cover. although the 3 wood is my go to club for stuck under/in trees. easy to keep the ball low and it'll run every time.

completely agree about clubs too. Im basically right at $500 bucks

RBZ Stage 2 driver: new off ebay for $75
R11s 3 wood: demo club, looked brand new for $50
RBZ Stage 2 5 wood: demo club, got it for $35
SLDR irons 3 - AW: got them new off ebay for $250
Cleveland 60* CG14: lightly used ebay for $25
Odyssey Sabertooth putter: used off ebay for $50

granted, it helps being a lefty as used/demo clubs go for cheaper on ebay than righties do (generally)

I`m a lefty too, I bought Cleveland Irons for under 200$, yep, $200 at a Golftown down here, the kid selling them said to me "they are good clubs but they are last year`s model".....like that makes a lick of difference to me.

Bought my Adams 3 wood for 79$, down from about $129, have a Callaway driver that cost me a pretty penny and is realistically the only club I`m willing to spend money on

My putter is a Scotty Cameron however I got it free, the landlord in a building which had a restaurant on the ground floor I was working on had a tenant who did a midnight run on him and left behind his clubs, all were horrific but then I saw the putter and grabbed it

I use the 8-9 iron too but what I love about the 3 wood and 1 iron is it always goes straight, just have to start ball to the hole but if I were ever teaching anyone to play (and trust me, nobody wants that) I would never suggest it, everyone has their comfort zone, and for me, those 2 clubs are my go to`s greenside often

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Continuing on my goodbye tour of local courses today, saying adios to a course I`m not terribly fond of but have to use my free passes at. Granite Springs, not sure why I have never really liked the course but here we go, followed by one of my fav tracks, Old Ashburn, city course that requires shot making over power.

Love to break into the 70`s on one course before I head to BC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Continuing on my goodbye tour of local courses today, saying adios to a course I`m not terribly fond of but have to use my free passes at. Granite Springs, not sure why I have never really liked the course but here we go, followed by one of my fav tracks, Old Ashburn, city course that requires shot making over power.

Love to break into the 70`s on one course before I head to BC

if you can convince the other half...Aroostook Valley CC is only ~2 miles off the Trans Canada, in Fort Fairfield, Maine. There's a border crossing in town too, nice and convenient...

Beautiful rolling woods course with a great quirk...its in 2 countries. The border runs through the course and splits it. The club house is in Canada, the pro shop is in the US. This was done on purpose as it was built in the 1920s, so putting the clubhouse in Canada avoided prohibition.

2014-08-07-06-00-32.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
if you can convince the other half...Aroostook Valley CC is only ~2 miles off the Trans Canada, in Fort Fairfield, Maine. There's a border crossing in town too, nice and convenient...

Beautiful rolling woods course with a great quirk...its in 2 countries. The border runs through the course and splits it. The club house is in Canada, the pro shop is in the US. This was done on purpose as it was built in the 1920s, so putting the clubhouse in Canada avoided prohibition.

2014-08-07-06-00-32.jpg
Oh I wish, look and sounds fun. Mrs Odaat requires no asking when it comes to golf, she`s only too happy to be rid of me for hours on end:) however, my sticks will join me in Victoria so I`ll be going about 3 weeks without playing...ugg. Finally broke 80 today, solid 79 with chance for 78 but a horrendous birdie effort on 18 denied that

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Oh I wish, look and sounds fun. Mrs Odaat requires no asking when it comes to golf, she`s only too happy to be rid of me for hours on end:) however, my sticks will join me in Victoria so I`ll be going about 3 weeks without playing...ugg. Finally broke 80 today, solid 79 with chance for 78 but a horrendous birdie effort on 18 denied that

Where you going to play, Bear Mountain, Olympic view, Cordova Bay?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Where you going to play, Bear Mountain, Olympic view, Cordova Bay?

I`ve been doing plenty of research, while I`m sure I`ll play Bear Mountain, that price tag is pretty steep. My Father In Law having played with me and knowing what I like/love in a course said he`s willing to bet the course I will find most drawn to and possibly get a membership to is Olympic with Cordova Bay a close second.

Based solely on a short video and hole description on the Olympic website, it appears like it has it all, some holes aren`t about how far one can hit it but where you place it, others require distance, then there`s the dreaded distance and accuracy required.

One thing I do know is once I land, I`ll be hitting a few 9 hole courses to try and get back into the groove as it will be almost 3 weeks between rounds

Are you on the Island (guessing by you nick)? What course do you enjoy most?

For those here interested

Olympic View Golf Club | Victoria BC Golf Courses | Vancouver Island

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Playing the Old course at Ashburn today, IF I play smart, should crack 80 again, one of the very rare courses with a par under 67 but there`s plenty of ways to get into trouble on the course. Today is far less about distance as this course is short, far more emphasis on club selection and execution. I have played it many times over the years and often have walked off the course shooting mid 80`s because ego got the best of me and I tried to bomb drives down the fairway and the rough here is ridiculous

Ashburn Golf Club : Scorecard : Offcourse Golf Scorecard and GPS

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Day of Club Championship at Brookmeadow. I am in contention in th A flight

sweet, you got this. How many rounds does your Club play? I last was a member a few years ago, was in the A class, had a terrific first day shooting my exact handicap, Day 2 I struggled on the greens a bit but man do I love CC`s. Love the friendly competition, well, it was friendly at the course I belonged to anyways.

Used to play in them as a Junior and won the A flight as a teen and was invited to play in the Adult CC`s, my Dad was livid when I smoked him, came nowhere near winning the thing but that didn`t matter

My biggest claim to fame on the course was when I beat the pro as a 17 year old. He was a younger guy, played super hungover and it showed, he was sweating all day long and I was a fearless little SOB and shot even from the tips

P.S. Haven`t played the tips in a while now

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
sweet, you got this. How many rounds does your Club play? I last was a member a few years ago, was in the A class, had a terrific first day shooting my exact handicap, Day 2 I struggled on the greens a bit but man do I love CC`s. Love the friendly competition, well, it was friendly at the course I belonged to anyways.

Used to play in them as a Junior and won the A flight as a teen and was invited to play in the Adult CC`s, my Dad was livid when I smoked him, came nowhere near winning the thing but that didn`t matter

My biggest claim to fame on the course was when I beat the pro as a 17 year old. He was a younger guy, played super hungover and it showed, he was sweating all day long and I was a fearless little SOB and shot even from the tips

P.S. Haven`t played the tips in a while now
2 day event. Went 83 83. Came in 4th

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
41-41 82 today. Putting was a bit worse than it’s been so that cost me a couple of strokes, but I’ve been hitting the ball fairly consistently for about a month now so that’s a win. Also beat my dad by 2 strokes :D

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
2 day event. Went 83 83. Came in 4th

nice, played the exact opposite yesterday to Friday. never felt comfortable over the ball all day, finished with an 87 which was 20 over par on a course where that`s just not good golf. Started the day with a triple and it went on from there, had one stretch of 3 pars in a row.

Thankfully, I don`t take myself nor my golf game too seriously, had good company to trash talk me

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Went to the range the other day. First time in probably 10 months swinging a club.

Oh boy do I have some work to do, and fast, as I'm playing this weekend. Every drive was a hook. Irons game was still strong though, which has always been my thing, so I can hopefully rely on that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Went to the range the other day. First time in probably 10 months swinging a club.

Oh boy do I have some work to do, and fast, as I'm playing this weekend. Every drive was a hook. Irons game was still strong though, which has always been my thing, so I can hopefully rely on that.
or hit irons off the tee if all else fails:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad