OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Went 40-40 today for an 80. The putter was on fire. Best I’ve shot in several years. I’ve been up around 90 and struggling all year so this has me feeling good. Except for the birdie putt on 18 that I missed by about 1/10 of an inch

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
38-39 yesterday, didnt do myself any favors.

played a course that loves false fronts and on the other holes the front fringe has no hop. never got the memo and was leaving chips short all day.

and got an nice golf gods kick to the sack on 18. Its a short par 4 (plays 270-280), so figured why not try it. Went driver and got it up on the front...then proceeded to 3 putt for a par. hahaha.

they give and the take away

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Senor Shulzhoffer with a 41-36 77 at Brookmeadow in Canton MA today

nice, played our military course yesterday, Hartlan Point, some terrific views right by the ocean but the course itself isn`t overly picturesque. The wind and crazy tough greens are the great equalizer for a course which if plucked down anywhere other than right by the ocean where the wind plays havoc it would be a relatively easy course. Played well all day but just burned edges, then doubled the 18th for an 82

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This beautiful game can also be so frustrating and confounding at times. Played to an 80 yesterday which I`m happy with but man did I leave some strokes out there, especially on Par 5`s which are the precise holes this golfer should be cashing in on. 3 Par 5`s, bogey`s on all 3, had a double bogey in there too on a par 4 which clearly kills a scorecard. Game of inches, drive sailed right, obstructed by a tree on approach to green which I had to chip over and thought I did but the ball literally caught the last possible branch it could have, plunked down at the base of the tree, had to take an unplayable:(

Had a blast though, for the most part, I feel my game is starting to round a bit into form which is great but will be derailed with 2-3 weeks of inactivity during our move. Kind of doing a "goodbye" tour of tracks I really enjoy playing here in NS

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This beautiful game can also be so frustrating and confounding at times. Played to an 80 yesterday which I`m happy with but man did I leave some strokes out there, especially on Par 5`s which are the precise holes this golfer should be cashing in on. 3 Par 5`s, bogey`s on all 3, had a double bogey in there too on a par 4 which clearly kills a scorecard. Game of inches, drive sailed right, obstructed by a tree on approach to green which I had to chip over and thought I did but the ball literally caught the last possible branch it could have, plunked down at the base of the tree, had to take an unplayable:(

Had a blast though, for the most part, I feel my game is starting to round a bit into form which is great but will be derailed with 2-3 weeks of inactivity during our move. Kind of doing a "goodbye" tour of tracks I really enjoy playing here in NS

haha, sounds like my round Saturday. ground out an 80.

there's 3 greens on the course with 2 levels, and on all three the flag was on the top tier...all 3 times i short armed the approach and left myself on the lower tier.

also did something I havent done in ages...hit a b-r-u-t-a-l shank.

pulled my drive just through the tree line onto the next hole, had a 9 iron back over the trees in. not a hard shot, but not easy either. ended up pulling my hands way in for some reason and hit a wicked toe shank...went about 5 yds forward and 30yds left (lefty)

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I eagled my first hole ever last weekend. Chipped in on a par 5 from about 20-25 yards out. Such an oddly satisfying feeling, haha.

That eagle brought me to an 89 on the day, one of my better rounds this year, haha.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I eagled my first hole ever last weekend. Chipped in on a par 5 from about 20-25 yards out. Such an oddly satisfying feeling, haha.

That eagle brought me to an 89 on the day, one of my better rounds this year, haha.
Congrats. I've eagled once ever as well. Come close a few other times.

I haven't gotten out to play yet this year, been far too busy with house stuff. Playing in a scramble tournament on 8/4 though, which will be a nice way of getting back into things.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Congrats. I've eagled once ever as well. Come close a few other times.

I haven't gotten out to play yet this year, been far too busy with house stuff. Playing in a scramble tournament on 8/4 though, which will be a nice way of getting back into things.
I love scrambles. Lets you play and have fun even if you can't compete with the "big guns". I play a scramble tourney every November in Vegas, and the last couple of years my son has come along (my son, the 1 handicap golfer). Scrambles let me play and not feel like I'm hurting the team. I have enough good shots that I can be an asset too.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I love scrambles. Lets you play and have fun even if you can't compete with the "big guns". I play a scramble tourney every November in Vegas, and the last couple of years my son has come along (my son, the 1 handicap golfer). Scrambles let me play and not feel like I'm hurting the team. I have enough good shots that I can be an asset too.

Yup, I love them too because they are a lot more relaxed and fun.

Also, its a lot of fun to take big risks and try things you never would in a normal round. There were a few times in 1 I played earlier this year where I tried cutting corners with the driver that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I do tend to putt my best in scrambles. Mostly because the fear is gone, can be much more aggressive with putts

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

89 is a terrific score, eagles or not. I haven`t experienced too many eagles in my time, usually when I have one it`s like your experience, a chip in. A few years back I reached a shorter par 5 in 2 with the ball just inches off the green, slammed home a putt but it was likely a half dozen years since my last eagle before that, congrats

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
haha, sounds like my round Saturday. ground out an 80.

there's 3 greens on the course with 2 levels, and on all three the flag was on the top tier...all 3 times i short armed the approach and left myself on the lower tier.

also did something I havent done in ages...hit a b-r-u-t-a-l shank.

pulled my drive just through the tree line onto the next hole, had a 9 iron back over the trees in. not a hard shot, but not easy either. ended up pulling my hands way in for some reason and hit a wicked toe shank...went about 5 yds forward and 30yds left (lefty)

So funny, I too am a lefty and when I don`t hit my driver well, the tendency is to block my swing and the ball heads left, last round I hit what I would describe only as pure hooks off the tee on 3 different drives, got lucky that I was even able to play all but one which I had to take an unplayable for.

There is one hole on the course I played which has always got the better of me in the sense that it too is a two tiered green and when that pin is up on the 2nd tier, I consistently leave it on the lower tier. Short hole too where the green is the great equalizer as that top tier is very small so if you get the ball onto the top tier, the challenge is holding it on the green which for me, with no spin game, is tough.

The hole is barely 320/330 ish depending on where the blocks are, I drove my ball to about 60 yards and still not enough on the chip to push it to the back. Made par but for such a short hole, I think I`ve birdied it only a few times over the years.

Score Card

Not a bombers course by any stretch but the greens and rough are the equalizers

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I want to make this my first course once I get out to Arizona: Golf Course Tour: Verrado Golf Club - Buckeye, Arizona

nice, I have penciled in this course as my first taste of golf in Victoria BC but I`ll be hitting an executive course for a round or two before as it will be about 3 weeks between rounds by the time we finally land in BC so I`ll need to try and get my game up to snuff as this track looks tough.

Olympic View Golf Club | Victoria BC Golf Courses | Vancouver Island

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So funny, I too am a lefty and when I don`t hit my driver well, the tendency is to block my swing and the ball heads left, last round I hit what I would describe only as pure hooks off the tee on 3 different drives, got lucky that I was even able to play all but one which I had to take an unplayable for.

There is one hole on the course I played which has always got the better of me in the sense that it too is a two tiered green and when that pin is up on the 2nd tier, I consistently leave it on the lower tier. Short hole too where the green is the great equalizer as that top tier is very small so if you get the ball onto the top tier, the challenge is holding it on the green which for me, with no spin game, is tough.

The hole is barely 320/330 ish depending on where the blocks are, I drove my ball to about 60 yards and still not enough on the chip to push it to the back. Made par but for such a short hole, I think I`ve birdied it only a few times over the years.

Score Card

Not a bombers course by any stretch but the greens and rough are the equalizers

haha, thats funny. I have the opposite issue when I lose the driver. My hands get too quick and I hit a dead pull

This is the course: SkyGolf Courses | SkyGolf 360

It has the typical protections of elevation changes and tiny sloped greens.

1, 8 and 9 are the tiered greens.

1 has a 90* dog leg 200yds out
2 is 10yds uphill with a front bunker guarding
3 has a 15ft deep ravine guarding the green
7 the green is elevated ~20ft, and over = death. there is 1ft behind the green before if drops into the same ravine as 3

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
haha, thats funny. I have the opposite issue when I lose the driver. My hands get too quick and I hit a dead pull

This is the course: SkyGolf Courses | SkyGolf 360

It has the typical protections of elevation changes and tiny sloped greens.

1, 8 and 9 are the tiered greens.

1 has a 90* dog leg 200yds out
2 is 10yds uphill with a front bunker guarding
3 has a 15ft deep ravine guarding the green
7 the green is elevated ~20ft, and over = death. there is 1ft behind the green before if drops into the same ravine as 3

seems like a tough track. When my swing is too quick, I grip the club too tightly with dominant hand and it`s hook city. Thankfully I slowed things down more on the back and shot a solid 39 but sitting on the 17th fairway, about 80 yds away about to hit my 3rd shot into a very receptive pin position on a relatively easy par 5, I started to lick my chops and got stupid with the wedge, scuffed it, walked away with a bogey which meant I had to birdie a tough #18 which I have never birdied before, I gave it a good run though, hit a nice approach to about 15 feet but put the ball on the wrong side of the hole and missed the birdie. Other than a few sideways drives and a hiccup on a chip, my game finally feeling comfortable.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
seems like a tough track. When my swing is too quick, I grip the club too tightly with dominant hand and it`s hook city. Thankfully I slowed things down more on the back and shot a solid 39 but sitting on the 17th fairway, about 80 yds away about to hit my 3rd shot into a very receptive pin position on a relatively easy par 5, I started to lick my chops and got stupid with the wedge, scuffed it, walked away with a bogey which meant I had to birdie a tough #18 which I have never birdied before, I gave it a good run though, hit a nice approach to about 15 feet but put the ball on the wrong side of the hole and missed the birdie. Other than a few sideways drives and a hiccup on a chip, my game finally feeling comfortable.

nice. yeah, nothing gets me frustrated like putting the ball on the wrong side of the hole. Especially on the greens that are a hard back to front downslope. Seems like Im guaranteed to put myself above the hole hitting a fast as hell downhill putt.

its a feast and famine course.

1, 4, 6, 7 are the "make par and run" holes
2 is jekyll and hyde, get the shot up and its a flat green for par, miss short and the fun starts
3 is the same, just gotta hit the 2nd shot full
5, 8, 9 are attack holes.

Especially 8. it's dead straight, ~30ft downhill off an elevated tee and has no protection. a pure grip and rip tee shot

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
nice. yeah, nothing gets me frustrated like putting the ball on the wrong side of the hole. Especially on the greens that are a hard back to front downslope. Seems like Im guaranteed to put myself above the hole hitting a fast as hell downhill putt.

its a feast and famine course.

1, 4, 6, 7 are the "make par and run" holes
2 is jekyll and hyde, get the shot up and its a flat green for par, miss short and the fun starts
3 is the same, just gotta hit the 2nd shot full
5, 8, 9 are attack holes.

Especially 8. it's dead straight, ~30ft downhill off an elevated tee and has no protection. a pure grip and rip tee shot

I could envision myself either having an absolute blast there or racing to our local Golftown to buy new clubs after snapping every one of them out of frustration

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ll be watching the Open today solely due to the Tiger effect but man does that course look like one giant goat ranch. The fairways look brown, hardly pleasing to the eye. I enjoy links golf myself but I`ve never been a fan of watching it on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->